The official family newsletter of Horning Middle School
May 18th to May 31st
Main OfficePrincipal: Mr. Robert Blessington 262-970-3305
Principal Secretary: Rebecca Stark 262-970-3305
Associate Principal: Mrs. Veronica Leshok 262-970-3311
- 6B, 7B, 8B, Dual Language
Dean of Students & Athletic/Activities Director: Ms. Susan Inkmann 262-970-3450
- 6A, 7A, 8A, FLIGHT
School Resource Officer: James Wolbert 262-970-3304
Attendance/Associate Principal Secretary: Pamela Craig 262-970-3317
1-866-490-7371 or 262-970-3316
- Olivia Trejo, Health Room Assistant, 262-970-3315
- Mrs. Angie Jackson 262-970-3327 6A, 7A, 8A, FLIGHT Academy
- Ms. Natalie Ramirez 262-970-3326 6B, 7B, 8B, Dual
Social Worker: Angie Krueger, 262-970-1699
School Psychologist: Jeff Ludowissi 262-970-1093
End of the Year Expectations
April 16, 2019
Dear Horning Families,
As we work through the last quarter of the school year, we ask families to continue to help their student be cognizant of the high expectations we continue to have regarding student behavior and responsibilities. Below are a list of behavioral expectations that we need your assistance with. Please take a moment to review this information with your student.
Clothing should appropriately cover the chest, midriff and buttocks
No undergarments should be visible when standing or sitting
Hoodies must be worn with the hood down
No strapless, off the shoulder, or low cut tops allowed at school
Shoes must be worn at all times
Cell phones should be powered off and left in students assigned street locker for the duration of the school day
Come with the iPad fully charged every day
Bus Safety and Expectations:
The bus is an extension of school and all school rules apply
Stay seated throughout the bus ride
Keep voices at conversational volume (level 2), no yelling please
Students may be removed from the bus
Laser pointers are considered a dangerous item and should not be brought to school
Students should utilize assigned lockers to secure belongings each time it is closed
Repeated refusal to do what is asked is considered a major referral
Swearing is not appropriate language at school
Our students are also expected to follow community expectations and represent their school and families in a positive light.
Please encourage your student(s) to remain focused on finishing the school year strong academically and behaviorally. You are vital to all of our student’s success. Thank you for your attention and support!
Robert M. Blessington
Dean of Students
Summer is right around the corner and it is so important that your child keeps reading to keep them growing. We have a few dates, events and resources here that may help maintain their interest in reading and access to books.
Here are a few important dates coming up…
1. Friday, May 24th… All library materials are due on this date. Please return all your materials on or before this date to help avoid unneeded fines for lost books.
2. Wednesday, May 22nd... Ms. Rykus from the Waukesha Public Library will be visiting all 3 lunches. She will be promoting their summer reading program along with making applications available to sign up for a public library card if students don’t already have one.
3. June 5th & 6th… all students at Horning will have the opportunity to check out books for the summer. You may keep these books all summer but you must return them during the first week of school in September. If you are interested in this Summer Reading Opportunity, please fill out this parent permission slip (your student may also pick this up in our iCenter) Starting June 5th, bring your own bag or box along with your parent permission slip to the iCenter. At that time, you can check out as many books as you can carry. I am hoping every student takes advantage of this great opportunity.
4. Please remember that all students have access to Overdrive all year round, which allows them access to thousands of ebooks and audio books free of charge.
5. If you need some great book recommendations, please see our website below with suggestions of new and popular books by genre.
Happy Summertime Reading!
Library Media Specialist & Technology Coach
Resources for Parents
United Way Free Backpack Coalition
Waukesha Education Foundation - About Us
The Waukesha Education Foundation is comprised of community members whose initiative is to award grants to School District of Waukesha teachers who have innovative ideas or projects for their classrooms or school community. The Waukesha Education Foundation is funded entirely by donations. We are a 501(c)(3) organization and donations are tax deductible as allowed by law.
MARK YOUR CALENDARS FOR OUR UPCOMING EVENTS!
Waukesha Education Foundation Golf Outing - August 7, 2019 at Western Lakes Golf Club
Celebration of Excellence Gala - November 14, 2019 at The Ingleside
Check Out the Latest from the Waukesha Education Foundation in our Newsletter
Horning Site Council (Family/Parent Advisory Group)
Site Council is Horning’s family/parent advisory group. Our mission is to build our school community, and to support our learners, families, academics and activities. Feel free to contact us any time at firstname.lastname@example.org. We meet on the 2nd Thursday of each month in the iCenter (aka Library). Please join us!
You're invited to join us for our next meeting from 6-7 pm in the iCenter Hemingway Room. You can enter through the cafeteria doors on Wolf Road. We welcome participation and input from all Horning families and learners!
May 9th, 2019 - Minutes
May 20th - Track Meet @ Wisconsin Hills
May 21st - Track Practice, Jazz Choir
May 22nd - Talent Show Rehearsal, Track Practice, Jazz Band
May 23rd - Track Meet @ Carroll University, GSA
May 24th - Track Party/Awards
May 28th - Talent Show Rehearsal, Jazz Choir
May 29th - Talent Show Rehearsal, Art Club
May 30th - Talent Show Rehearsal
*All activities run from 2:45pm - 3:45pm unless otherwise noted.
Our website, https://sdw.waukesha.k12.wi.us/horningms will also have a current calendar of our co-curricular activities for your planning purposes.
Please contact Ms. Inkmann, Athletic Director with questions.
Connect With Us!
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/ SDW Horning