A Christmas Carol, Stave One
Insider's Report: The Workhouse
People say that it used to be even worse--like prison. I've heard visitors say that if the workhouses are too nice, then we will get lazy and want to stay there. Ha! Twenty-four hours--no, three hours!--in the places I stayed would have cured them forever of that idea. Families--mothers, fathers, children--all had to separate. If you died there and nobody claimed your body, they would sell it to the dissectors!
Me? I finally ran away, but there's more about the Workhouse in Oliver Twist, the novel about me written by Mr. Charles Dickens, who by the way, lived for a while in the Workhouse himself when he was twelve. The was something he never forgot.
by Special Correspondent-Oliver Twist
Don't Blame it all on Scrooge
- If your family doesn't support you or you don't do useful work, you have no right to food.
- People shouldn't be allowed to have children until they can support them.
- Starvation, disease, and war will result if people are allowed to have as many children as they like.
The Word Place
- Bedlam-a hospital for the mentally ill (official name: St. Mary of Bethlehem)
- the City-financial center; located in oldest part of London
- 'Change-meeting place for bankers and lawyers in the City; officially, the Royal Exchange
- countinghouse-business office
- treadmill-a metal step device; prisoners were forced to walk on it for six hours at a time
- Union Workhouses-publicly supported institutions where the poor, the sick, and the elderly worked for food and shelter
Stave One Vocabulary
Terms tested EVERY WEEK
"Assistance Dogs: Learning New Tricks for Centuries." History.com. A&E Television Networks, n.d. Web. 17 Nov. 2015. <http://www.history.com/news/assistance-dogs-learning-new-tricks-for-centuries>.
Fog and Parliment. Digital image. Panoramio. N.p., n.d. Web. 13 Nov. 2015. <http://www.panoramio.com/m/photo/14455719>.
Holt, Rinehart and Winston, ed. Novel Notes: Issue 2. N.d. A Christmas Carol, Stave One.
Illustrated London News. Digital image. Http://www.victorianweb.org/periodicals/iln/intro.html. N.p., 14 Oct. 2002. Web. 13 Nov. 2015.
Lamp Lighter in Fog. Digital image. N.p., n.d. Web. 13 Nov. 2015. <www.barnorama.com>.
London Fog. Digital image. Reliable Index. N.p., n.d. Web. 13 Nov. 2015. <http://www.reliableindex.com/index.php?page=search/images&search=london+fog&type=images>.
"Notsoboringhistory." Not so Boring History Facts., London during the Victorian Era Was Famed for Its... N.p., n.d. Web. 13 Nov. 2015. <http://notsoboringhistory.tumblr.com/post/31488673306/london-during-the-victorian-era-was-famed-for-its>.
Oliver Twist. Digital image. N.p., n.d. Web. 13 Nov. 2015. <http://www.balkandownload.org/topic/31167-charles-dickens/>.
Victorian London. Digital image. Http://assassinscreed.wikia.com/wiki/File:Victorian_London_1.jpeg. N.p., n.d. Web. 13 Nov. 2015.