Meadow Brook Magic
Week 3: August 26th-September 6th
Olympic Opening Ceremonies
Parade of Flags
Mustang Monday Message
Last week the Olympic Games officially began as we held the Olympic Opening Ceremonies. Each class made a flag and paraded around the school. Teachers carried the olympic torch all the way to Meadow Brook and the cauldron was lit (see video above).
Each month, a different olympic event will be held. This month our olympic event is focused on attendance. We realize there are many legitimate reasons for why a child might need to miss school and we honor each situation! Our hope throughout the month, is to help students better understand the importance of being in school. "Research shows that attendance is an important factor in student achievement." -NCES 2009 (If you are a research lover like me, you can read the research here)
Thanks for your support! I know I speak for my staff when I say how blessed we feel to work with such an incredible community of students and parents!
Miss Balli, Principal
Room Parent Tea
Thanks parents for making are school great!
* Monday, Sept 2nd: Labor Day—No School
* Tuesday, Sept 3rd: DIBELS testing begins (K-3rd literacy testing)
* Thursday, Sept 5th: Hearing Screenings 12:15-3:15 for K, 1, 3, 6
CALL FOR ENTRIES — PTA REFLECTIONS CONTEST "LOOK WITHIN"
Join thousands of students nationwide as they reflect on a common theme and create original works of art in the categories of Dance Choreography, Film Production, Literature, Music Composition, Photography and Visual Arts.
We'll be hosting a Reflections kickoff event at the school soon. Here is how students can participate:
1. Decide on a category (you can enter more than one!) and brainstorm ideas for this year's theme of "Look Within."
2. Look up the rules for your categories at UtahPTA.org/Reflections
3. Create your original work of art by Oct. 3
4. Take a picture of your student holding their artwork and email it with their name and teacher to: firstname.lastname@example.org by Oct. 3
5. Complete the entry form online at: shorturl.at/KyGP8. If you're entering the 2D, 3D and photography categories, bring your artwork to school by the deadline. All other submissions are digital.
Box Top Changes
Box Tops have changed! Now, using their free app, you scan your receipts to earn credit for your purchases of Box Tops items. See the attached flyer for more information and for the QR code to easily download the app. You'll need to set up an account with Box Tops if you haven't already done so, and then establish Meadow Brook Elementary as the school you wish to support. With this change to digital credit, ANYONE can help support our school (even family members that live out of state!). The app also lets you see your earnings as well as the school's total earnings.
Here is some additional clarification:
- If you're already in the habit of scanning your receipt for apps like Ibotta, ShopKick, Fetch, Coupons.com, Huggies, etc., this change is the same process. The Box Tops app lets you take a picture of your receipt (multiple pictures if it's a long receipt), and it will know when you've purchased an item with Box Tops earnings. If you aren't sure if the receipt had Box Tops items, you can scan the receipt anyway, and it will let you know if there was no item that matched. Some email receipts from shopping online are accepted as well!
- When you log onto the website (boxtops4education.com), there are almost always sweepstakes that you can enter (free of charge) that could earn prizes for our school.
- The app has bonus incentives that award more than just $.10 per purchased item (such as shopping at a certain store or buying a certain number of Box Tops item in one trip, etc).
Please still send in any box tops clips (the ones with codes in the top left corner and an expiration date on the bottom) that you have. There are many of those clips still out there (some still on packages in the stores) - including what you have collected over the summer - that will earn our school money.
Change is sometimes hard, and there can be questions/frustrations, but let's embrace these changes to help Meadow Brook Elementary by participating in the Box Tops program!