Hopkins Elementary Newsletter
HES HAPPENINGS---JANUARY 2023
As we prepare to return, please be reminded of the following:
- As the weather changes, I ask that you ensure your child wears his or her coat or jacket daily. We want to ensure our students remain healthy during the winter months.
- Several students now have cell phones. I ask that you closely monitor your child's interactions with others on their cell phones (and gaming systems). Some of the interactions can lead to conflict while in school. During school, we expect all students to be focused on learning.
- The Law and School Policy regarding student attendance indicate that any student who misses school must present a written excuse, signed by his or her parent or legal guardian or health care professional, for all absences within 48 hours of the student's return to school. When your child is absent, be sure to complete the blue card sent home or complete the link to provide an excuse. Link- https://forms.office.com/r/7kVurJUQG6
Thank you for entrusting Hopkins Elementary faculty and staff with your children. Please let us know if there is a question, comment, or concern.
Audrey White-Garner, Principal
The School Improvement Council (SIC) serves as an advisory committee to a school's principal and faculty. Unlike PTOs and other voluntary school organizations, councils are mandated by law to exist in every public school in South Carolina. SICs play a vital role in educating our state's children, bringing together parents, educators, and community stakeholders to work collectively to improve their local schools. Some of the critical functions of the SIC include:
- assist in developing and implementing a five-year school improvement plan (school renewal plan);
- monitor and evaluate success in reaching the plan's goals and objectives;
- write an annual report to parents about the progress of the plan; and
- assist the principal in writing the narrative for the School Report Card
The Parent Teacher Organization (PTO) allows parents and teachers to collaborate to supplement and enrich the educational experience. Hopkins Elementary has been fortunate to have outstanding PTO Officers and members. If you would like to serve as an officer or member of our school's PTO, please call 803-783-5541 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to share your interest.
Our next SIC/PTO meeting will be held on January 11, 2023 @ 6:30pm at Hopkins Elementary School.