FOURTH GRADE NEWS
December 3, 2015
Welcome to Fourth Grade
As the winter winds start to blow be sure to check your student is dressing appropriately for the weather. It is also a good time to check that hats, gloves, coats, etc. have your child's first and last name inside. This will allow for a quick return of lost things.
We cannot thank everyone enough for donating to our canned food drive! As a building we donated 2,468 cans to the Plano Santas! Fourth grade donated an impressive 821 cans! Way to go!
Since MAP testing is underway it is important students are getting a good night's sleep, drinking plenty of water, and eating a healthy breakfast. Reading and Language Usage will begin 12/7, and Science MAP will occur after the winter break.
An amazing opportunity is coming to the Skaggs Library on December 16th & 17th sponsored by the Skaggs PTA. Our students will be fully engaged for over 90 minutes in hands-on technology experiences! iCode is an after-school program that focuses on computer science, robotics, and technology. iCode's programs are based on a comprehensive approach to STEAM education (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Math) where children learn in a fun and dynamic environment.
The art of persuasion comes in many forms including both verbal and nonverbal. This week students will look more closely at how The Power of Words and persuasion are linked. While reading students will practice drawing conclusions by connecting two or more pieces of information presented in a text. Drawing conclusions helps readers get more information and ideas and can aid in summarization. Students will also be incorporating the power of words into their writing by completing a rough draft for an expository topic. The spelling pattern for the week will focus on words with silent letters such as wr-, kn-, -mb, -gh, and -if.
We will continue to to develop proficiency multiplying a 2-digit number by a 2-digit number using an expanded algorithm and the standard algorithm. Please continue to work on basic multiplication and division facts with your student. The multiplication assessment will be Monday, Dec. 14th. Students may use pgs. 307-310 and pgs. 359-362 to help prepare for the test.
Science and Social Studies
In science, we will continue to understand that energy exists in many forms and can be observed in cycles, patterns, and systems. They will learn to build a circuit and create a schematic diagram of a circuit. They will use scientific inquiry methods, plan and implement descriptive investigations, including asking well defined questions and making inferences. They will also be exposed to electromagnetic fields and learn the concepts of flow and transfer.
The unit assessment will be Wednesday, December 16th
From the Teachers
Environment Cleanup- Saturday December 5th. Come over to Skaggs along with your friends between 2-4 pm and earn sparkles, while helping keep the school and the surrounding areas clean. Make sure you wear gloves and keep warm.
Year Book: Parents here is your chance to order the year books at the special price of $25 from now until the new year at Skaggs Elementary PTA. The price increases to $30 in 2016
- Science Fair is coming to Skaggs! If your child is interested in participating please send in the student letter as soon as possible in order to receive the handbook. Student Letters can be found on the fourth grade website. Projects are due to school by Wednesday, January 13th. https://sites.google.com/a/pisd.edu/fabulous-fourth-grade-friends/
- Reading Logs: Skaggs has a new reading program that we would love to encourage your children to participate in. With this reading program, your child will read at home and record the number of minutes that he or she has read each night. At the end of the week, your child can record the number of minutes read for the week on the following web site: http://tinyurl.com/SkaggsReadingLog
- 40 Books in 40 Days: Each child has been given a challenge by Mrs. Geiler, our librarian, to read 40 books in 40 days. The challenge ends December 16th! Each week teachers will tally up the total number of books read by our classes. At the end of the challenge the grade level with the highest percentage of books read will earn a prize! Please see below for further information.
- We would like to encourage your child to bring their electronic devices. Electronic devices are being used in all subject areas along with music and art.
- Be a star for our students and write a check to our PTA. See the information below regarding the Skaggs PTA Check Writing Campaign.
- A fourth grade website just for parents! You will find links, important information, and much more. https://sites.google.com/a/pisd.edu/fabulous-fourth-grade-friends/
- 12/5 Environment Cleanup 2-4 pm at Skaggs
- 12/7 Reading & Language Usage MAP testing begins
- 12/9 PACE referral packets due- see the parent website for a packet link.
- 12/11 Class Spelling Bees
- 12/14 Math Unit Assessment
- 12/16 Science Unit Assessment
- 12/18 End of 2nd Nine Weeks, Report Cards, Early Release
- 12/21 Winter Break Begins
- 1/5 Students Return