Week 9 Assignment
(Slavery in the 1800's)
1. Create a scrapbook using pages 254-255
2. Create a union speech using pages 256-258
3. Create debatable arguments for the side of a nativist using pages 260-262.
- the immigrants will not be able to provide for themselves and we will be forced to take care of them- the newcomers are the reason for our slum conditions
- the political power of the Roman Catholic Irish will grow and take over our nation
- the immigrants will bring their customs, such as beer gardens and the isolation of Germans with them
4. Create debatable arguments for the side of immigrants using pages 260-262.
- we are good at skilled occupations like being a baker, brewer, butcher, cabinetmaker, cigar maker, machinist, or tailor
- no power on earth can shut us out of the fertile wilderness
- all we want is a better life for ourselves, we are not here to ruin yours