The One and Only Ivan
by Evan Robert Schack
As you can see this book won the John Newbery Award for "The Most Distinguished Contribution for American Literature For Children." If you look closely enough it says that on the medal.
Characters, Places, etc.
- Ivan the silverback gorilla,main character, likes to draw, old star of show.
- Stella the old elephant, is very wise, has a swollen foot.
- Bob the renegade street dog, dislikes humans, likes snoozing on Ivan's belly.
- Ruby the baby elephant,talkative, always questioning, new star of show.
- Mack the keeper of the mall/circus, former caretaker of Ivan, needs money (or so he says).
- George the custodian, strict about homework, Julia's father.
- Julia the girl who helps Ivan paint, helps Ivan to his goal, also likes drawing.
This story takes place in a tourist magnet, the Exit 8 Big Top Mall and Video Arcade and ends in a zoo.
After the story, Ivan counts the days he's been at the mall. It totals up to 9 years.
Later, Julia shows Ivan how to finger paint, and it opens up a new world. Later, Ivan hatches a plan. He decides he needs to get Ruby to the zoo. He paints a picture of where Ruby should be. Then he tries to show Julia what he made but she doesn't understand. Ivan gets MAD. Then Ivan becomes a real silverback gorilla and does his first ever chest beat. Then Julia understands what Ivan made and she pulls through with Ivan's idea to get his picture on the billboard. The billboard is so well noticed that Ivan is soon on TV. And people living there protest and say that Ivan and Ruby need to go to a zoo. Soon, a woman in a white suit tries to take Ruby to the zoo and Ruby goes. Next is Ivan. He is given sleepy juice and taken to the zoo too. There he meets other gorillas like him. He makes friends with a female gorilla. Then he climbs a tree at night and sees Ruby. She is happy. Then Julia comes to the zoo and it turns out she has adopted Bob.
He tells Ivan what he is, and the book ends there.