Hannah Rhodes & Josh Reid
"People discuss my art and pretend to understand as if it were necessary to understand, when it's simply necessary to love." -Claude Monet
- Considered the first modern movement in painting
- Representational art that doesn't have to be realistic
- Loose brush work
- Shows on canvas the passage of time, shifts in atmosphere and changes in weather
- Light and color are the subject matter
A work of art is "a corner of nature seen through a temperament." -Emil Zola
Facts on Impressionism
- During this time artist were becoming more individualized, styles began to change more rapidly.
- The goals of the artists were to create quick, spontaneous very colorful impressions of what was in front of them.
- Impressionism originated in France then spread to Europe and America.
Van Gogh (Sunflowers)