Week of 09/20-09/24
September 20, 2021
Getting into the Groove!
Greetings, Bigelow families & students! By this point, we are all finding our "school year groove"; re-learning school procedures, remembering new friends/classmates & teachers' names, and getting into our normal school routine.
Special thanks to each student & family for showing up in a major way to our 1st Annual Bigelow Back-to-School Block Bash! It was truly an amazing time & we had a great turnout (see photo above!). We look forward to all of you joining us for this event next year. Feel free to see more pictures & lots of dancing videos from the Bash at the button below.
There is plenty of information included within this week's newsletter for your family to digest. Feel free to contact me, any other member of Bigelow Leadership, or the Executive Admin. Asst., Kersten Raso, with questions, comments, or concerns.
Lastly, we hope the Yom Kippur observation was an easy fast for all, and we look forward to our first full week of school this week! We hope to see all students bright & early before 8:05am!
-Chassity Coston, Principal
Principal Coston getting down with the students at the Back-to-School Block Bash last week!
Two of our 8th grade students reading our morning announcements this past week!
Our 6th grade Science students are already into their experiments!
What's going on this Week?
- Day 1 of the cycle
- Bulldog Block
- Day 2 of the cycle
- Day 3 of the cycle
- Dismissal at 1:50pm
- Day 4 of the cycle
- Day 5 of the cycle
- T-shirt Fridays! Students, rock your Bigelow, college, educational, or favorite t-shirt/gear!
Note that Advisory/Bulldog Block is now held on Monday & Thursday mornings, and we no longer have homeroom. Attendance will now be taken during 1st period or in Advisory/Bulldog Block.
School Focus & Priorities 2021-2022 • #GrowBigelow
We are committed to #Grow(ing)Bigelow through a more unified vision of culture & collaboration. The ways in which we will accomplish this is through these top priorities for 2021-2022 (aligned with NPS):
● Relationships & SEL (social-emotional learning)
● Equity, Culturally-Responsive Pedagogy, & anti-racism
H E L P F U L • R E M I N D E R S :
~School start time: School starts at 8:05am this year, which is different from previous years. 8:05am is also when attendance is taken. Please ensure your child is arriving to school on time.
~Please remind your child about school expectations. Bigelow Leadership held talks/assemblies with each team/cluster the first week of school, in which the following topics were covered:
- Behavioral expectations in the classroom, hallway, & cafeteria (and cleanliness when eating outside)
- Cell phones & social media expectations (phones should be in lockers during school day)
- Dress code
- Have a combination lock for lockers
- Backpacks/bookbags in lockers
- Lunch seat numbers (when weather causes indoor eating)
- Proper mask wearing
~In-school rapid COVID testing will begin this week. More information to come.
- There will be no loaners provided this year. If a student leaves their Chromebook at home, they should call a parent/guardian to bring it to the school.
Any new students that did not get a Chromebook should report to the office in order to be assigned one.
In the event of Chromebook damage or repair needed, please report to the front office.
~Lunch info: Please see the NPS District Newsletter linked above to review NPS Lunch menus, information, and updates.
Bigelow PTO Family Directory
The Bigelow PTO Family Directory is hosted online at Membership Toolkit. The access is free and it can be used by all Bigelow families. The directory is run and funded by the PTO thanks to your support!
The online platform is a secure and easy-to-use tool that organizes contact information from all Bigelow families unless they specifically opt-out. It is a convenient, environmentally conscious system, that can be updated throughout the school year. Click the link below for more info.
Join FORJ to Help Strengthen Bigelow’s Work around Racial Justice!
Bigelow Middle School FORJ (Bigelow FORJ) is a school-based chapter of Newton’s Families Organizing for Racial Justice (FORJ). Bigelow FORJ is a group of devoted parents, faculty & administrators committed to raising anti-racist children who acknowledge the pervasiveness of systemic barriers, speak out against injustices, and seek action-oriented solutions.
We invite parents and children to engage in critical conversations that support questioning, challenging & dismantling systemic racism, structural inequities, including anti-Blackness, racial discrimination, unconscious biases & all other forms of racial injustice and social exclusion.
Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and tell us if:
- you would like to get our monthly announcements;
- you’d like to join our leadership committee;
- you have some ideas about how to promote antiracist work at Bigelow; and/or
- you'd like to participate in broader conversations on antiracism, diversity & inclusion.
We are currently developing plans for this year and seek new energy and ideas. Thank you!
-Margo Michaels and Kaori Urayama (parents of 7th graders)
DESE Pilot 7th Grade Social Studies Curriculum
Join Jazz Band; Rehearsals start THIS WEEK!
Upcoming Important Dates:
- Thursday, September 30: NHHS Special Program, "Recognizing Unhealthy Relationships & Finding Support" (see flyer below)
- Thursday, October 7: Early Release; dismissal at 11:20am
- Monday, October 11: No School; Indigenous People's Day
- Thursday, October 14: Back-to-School Night; more info to come!
Quote of the Week!
Contact Principal Coston!
Please know that I am committed to the continued excellence of Bigelow Middle School and its families, faculty/staff, & surrounding Newton community. I look forward to an amazing, progressive, and world-changing school year as we work together to #GrowBigelow.
Please feel free to contact me as needed. In the meantime, stay safe & well.