8th Grade ELA
Ms. Saya Becker
Please feel free to contact me with any questions/concerns that your child can not answer. You can call the school and leave a message; however the best way to contact me is via email.
This course is designed to assist students in meeting and exceeding the College and Career Readiness Standards in the area of Language Arts. Students will become proficient in grammar and vocabulary, and they will develop the ability to interpret and analyze literature with supporting evidence. Writing will also be an integral part of this class with a focus on the following types: Narrative, Research, Argumentative, Micro-Theme, and Literary Analysis. Writing Rubrics will stresses the areas of ideas, organization, voice, word choice, sentence fluency, and conventions.
ELA Standards :
Speaking and Listening
Reading for Informational Text
Reading for Literature
· all assignments will be posted on the school website and in my classroom.
· students must have them at the beginning of class on the day they are due.
· if a student is not sure how to complete the assignment, they must try 1/3 of the work. If the student is still confused, he/she will need to email me by 8pm. The following day(during recess), the student must come in and get extra help. If this process is not followed a MHS / demerit will be issued.
Assessments / Grading
Standards Based Grading
The purpose of Standards-Based Grading (SBG) is to measure a student’s performance and product against defined Grade Level Expectations. In a SBG and reporting system, grades reflect what a student knows and can do, as outlined in the Catholic Diocese and Common Core Standards. Report card grades will be based on student achievement. Student progress will be communicated to parents:
· On tests, quizzes, projects, ….. All assessments home after grading. If you what to know how your student did have them show you their paper.
· Interim – interim reports are sent home mid-way through the quarter.
· Progress Report – progress reports are sent home at the end of every quarter.
Progress Will Be Marked :
Exceeds the Standard: + / E
Meets the Standard: V
Improving, Not Yet Meeting: I
Does Not Meet the Standard: N / U
In the event of an excused absence:
· It is the student's responsibility to obtain all make-up work the day they return to school. For every one EXCUSED absence, the student has one additional day to make up the work.
· Make-up assessments are to be completed within 1 week of returning to school. It is the student's responsibility to come in during recess to complete the assessment.