Harrison Parent News
Christa Smyder, Principal Vanessa Hudgins, Dean of Students
Relationships Day- December 2
Kids need guidance at different times to help them grow in a safe and supportive environment. As teachers, we can be available to be someone the kids can depend on. We want each student to have someone that cares not just about their grade, but also about who they are as an individual.
· All Harrison Buccaneers will wear RED to build community for the day
· Students will watch a relationships video observing characteristics for being the Wylie Way (PE)
· Students will engage in a brief discussion after the video and complete a relationships survey about adults who make an impact on their lives (electives)
· Students will participate in activities related to building healthy relationships throughout each content area:
o Science: IMPACT wordtoon
o Social Studies: Building common interests with peers
o ELAR: Write a letter to someone at Harrison that has had a positive influence on you
o Math: Cut relationships pies by fractional parts that reflect the pieces of people in their lives
Be true to your word. Follow through with your classroom management plan. Refrain from any and all harmful, scolding, bribing, manipulative, or friction-creating methods of managing behavior.
Smile. Love your students. Bring humor and joy to your classroom. And you’ll never, ever have to try to build influential relationships.
They’ll just . . . happen.” – Michael Linsin, “what building relationships with students really means”
Students may bring cell phones to school; however, they are to be turned off during the instructional part of the day unless the teachers asks that they be used to support student learning and instruction. Students should not be placing calls, receiving texts or calls, texting during the school day unless asked to do so by an adult in the building. If your child is ill, he or she is to report to the clinic and Nurse Melissa will call parents accordingly. Cell phones may be confiscated and returned at the end of the day if students are not following campus expectations.
Mark your Calendar
- November 23-27: Thanksgiving Break
- December 11: Band Recital- during class time
- December 15: Choir Concert WEHS 7:30
- December 15: PTA Spirit Night Taco Delite 5-8
- January 20: Day of Grit/Early Release
- January 20-22: 5th Grade to Adventure Camp
- January 25-29: 5th Grade Benchmarks