GRAND AVENUE NEWSLETTER
GRAND AVENUE PREDICTION RUN
The 38th annual Grand Avenue Prediction Run will be held on Friday, October 30, 2015. Students will start practicing laps on Thursday, October 1 and must try to run at least 1 lap per school day. The 3rd grade students will run 1/2 mile and the 4th and 5th grade students will run 1 mile.
If you could please remind your children to wear or bring tennis shoes to school to make their running easier and safer, that would be great. Also, an extra pair of socks would be a good idea since the the grass is wet for the morning recesses or after rain.
The Prediction Run times are as follows:
12:45 pm - first half of 3rd grade (Cichanowicz, Frey, Knuteson, 1/2 Ruhland-Cook)
1:00 pm - second half of 3rd grade (1/2 Ruhland-Cook, Trachsler, Udulutch, Van Laanen)
1:20 pm - 4th grade
1:40 pm - 5th grade
Parents and family members are welcome to either watch the students run or participate in the run.
If your child will have a change regarding someone picking them up, they are biking or walking home, the information can be sent in on a separate note or put in their assignment notebook. We do not need the dismissal change/bus request form filled out for these changes.
If you have questions, please contact the office. Thank you.
In September, all classrooms started their first Life Skills lessons with Miss Sadie. Third grade discussed how to make and keep friends by reviewing things that help or hurt friendships, and what qualities make someone a good friend. Fourth grade focused on their own interests and how to show respect for themselves and others, even when they are not the same, so that they are able to cooperate in group situations. Fifth grade discussed things to consider when making decisions, and how to respectfully make decisions without losing friends by using assertive communication.
In October, Miss Sadie will be starting small groups with students from every grade level. If your child is invited to participate in one of the groups, a note will be sent home. These groups may include, but are not limited to new student groups, friendship groups, cooperation groups, leadership groups, and other special topic groups. Groups can also be requested by parents for issues such as grief, divorce, and coping with life changes. Please contact me at 643-1954 or firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like your child to be in a group or if you have a request for a group to meet your child’s needs.
· Do you have agendas for your children that are more important than the children themselves? Lost in the shuffle of uniforms, practices, games, recitals and performances can be the creative and joyful soul of your child. Watch and listen carefully. Do they have time to daydream? From their dreams will emerge the practices and activities that will make self-discipline as natural as breathing. Encourage these. (Martin, William; The Parent’s Tao Te Ching: A New Interpretation, 1999)
E-mail Miss Sadie if you have thoughts or questions about how to accomplish this task.
FROGGY VISITS GRAND AVENUE
UPCOMING DATES TO REMEMBER
October 12, 2015 - 7:00 pm - Grand Avenue Elementary
October 26, 2015 - 7:00 pm - District Office
October 14, 2015 - 1:30 pm & 1:35 pm
Thursday, October 22 & Friday, October 23
Grand Avenue Open House
Thursday, October 15 - 5:00-6:00 pm
Parent Teacher Conferences
Tuesday, October 20 - 4:00-7:30 pm
Thursday, October 22 - 8:00-11:30 am
Friday, October 2 - Homecoming Parade - 1:00 pm
Wednesday, October 21 - 4th Grade Pioneer Day
Practice Run - Thursday, October 29 (during lunch recess for each grade)
Run - Friday, October 30
3RD GRADERS RECEIVE DICTIONARIES
Lunch times at Grand Ave are: 3rd grade-11:15 am, 4th grade-11:40 am and 5th grade-12:00 pm. If there is a day that you would like to join your child for hot lunch, please phone the office by 9:00 am that day (643-1900) to reserve a hot lunch. You will need to stop at the office to pick up a visitor badge. The cost is $3.55 for a visitor lunch, which comes off your family account. Also, if you send in lunch money that is cash, in an envelope to be dropped off at the office, could you please make sure that the student’s name is either on the outside of the envelope or a note inside the envelope with the student’s name. Please click on link below to view this month's lunch menu.
Breakfast - Student - $1.50, Adult - $2.45
Lunch - Student - $2.40, Adult - $3.55
Milk - 35 cents
· Culver’s Share Night – Thursday, 10/1 from 5 – 9 PM – stop by for dinner or a treat…a portion of all proceeds go to GSPIE
· Fundraising Orders Due – Friday, 10/2 – Eagle Wear and Chip Shoppe along with Box Top submissions
· Silent Auction Event – Saturday, 11/7 – teachers will be sending home letters how you can contribute to classroom baskets to help make this event a success! Hope to see you there!
Grand Avenue Playground Fundraising – Opportunities to Contribute
· GSPIE will be sponsoring a Family Fun Day at Knuckleheads on Friday, 10/23 (day off school) – please click on GSPIE link below to download the form for details and must bring with you for GSPIE to earn 10% of sales, with all proceeds benefiting the Playground Fund.
· A GSPIE family has generously offered to MATCH up to $1,000 for the Playground Fund through 10/15. If interested, you can print and mail the donation form (attached) or donate online via You Caring Page https://www.youcaring.com/family-fundraiser/new-playground-for-grand-ave-elementary/303918