Important Upcoming Dates-
- District 39 Educational Foundation BINGO NIGHT!- Friday October 4th 6-8PM http://d39foundation.org/family-bingo-night/
Book Fair: October 21-23
Environmental Awareness Week: 10.21-25
Harper Parent Social: November 1
NO SCHOOL DAYS: 10/9, 10/14
PASS39 Parent Education Evening: Monday, October 21st. All Parents Welcome!
Topic: How to help your child navigate social conflict and bullying 7:00 - 8:30 PM (at MEC)
PTO General Meeting at Harper: Thursday, November 14 at 9am, in the school auditorium. District 39 Superintendent Kari Cremascoli will be our guest speaker.
Hello Harper Parents/Guardians,
Traffic Safety Update: It is important that everyone is following the proper drop off and pick up guidelines for the safety of all students. HERE is a comprehensive set of guidelines. A few points to emphasize:
When entering the drop-off/pick-up line, you may not turn into the drop-off/pick-up line from Thornwood Avenue (this includes Kindergarten families). Please enter the line on Dartmouth Avenue from Kenilworth Avenue, one block north of Thornwood Avenue
Do not drop students off on Elmwood Avenue. Please drop students off in front of Harper by following the proper drop-off procedures.
Please drive slowly around the school.
Please do not be on your cell phones while driving around the school.
Please try to stay in your car at all times when you are in the carpool line. Try not to leave your car to walk your child into school or to find your child.
We are continuing to work with the PTO and the Wilmette Police Department to make sure we keep our students safe.
Halloween: Are your children already starting to discuss Halloween costumes? For many children, it's a fun holiday and one to which they really look forward. So the big question--and one that I'm already planning for myself--what should I wear?
As you purchase costumes, please remember that students are not allowed to bring weapons or wear a costume that "is in bad taste." Many popular characters are not appropriate developmentally for our students in school (such as the character: Momo, or most recently, the Joker or IT mask). Costumes need to be appropriate for school and not depict violence. We prefer no face masks that cover the entire face (we want to be able to see and identify children). Please have conversations with your children about what is appropriate.
If the weather is nice, we plan to hold a Halloween Parade outside (on the sidewalk) starting at 9am on 10/31 like we have in past years. Parents are welcome to stay outside and watch the parade. Classroom teachers will be staying with classes as we walk along the sidewalks and the perimeter of our school property. If it rains, the outdoor parade will be canceled and we will bring the parade indoors for students and staff only.
*More information about our parade, costumes, and classroom parties will be shared as it gets closer.
Book Character Pumpkin Contest: See HERE for a fun way to get into the Halloween spirit. Decorate a pumpkin as your favorite book character! All pumpkins (real or artificial) will be displayed in the Learning Commons and students will vote for their favorite character on Halloween!
Fall Conferences Information: Sign-ups are coming soon! You can begin to sign-up on Monday, October 21. You will receive an email from District 39 on Friday, October 18 with specific sign-up information. Conferences take place on Thursday, November 7 and Friday, November 8. There will also be time-slots for kindergarten on Wednesday, November 6. Please know that conferences cannot be scheduled outside of the D39 designated conference times.
Hoedown Success: THANK YOU to everyone that helped make the Harper Hoedown a huge success! I am glad to have attended my first Hoedown and look forward to many more in the future, as it is a great community event in which the kids have a lot of fun!
Have a nice weekend!
Harper Parent Social
The 2019 Parent Social is 4 weeks away...now is the time to purchase your tickets and book your babysitters! The event will be on the rooftop of A. Perry Homes (1220 Washington, Wilmette). There will be an open bar, apps, and desserts to snack on. New this year- we are taking song requests!!! Email email@example.com if you have a favorite song you want to hear! Link to purchase tickets: parent-social
Donate now to iGNITE! and help your children have a fun-filled year of enrichment opportunities! The suggested donation of $125.00 per child (tax-deductible) enables iGNITE the opportunity to bring in speakers, scientists, and programs along with taking children on field trips. In addition, this pays for our amazing crossing guards that keep your kids safe and secure! We ask that you donate early so we can begin these programs at the beginning of the year! Thank you so much to those of you who have already donated to iGNITE! We are currently at 56% (236 students) participation. If you have not donated, it is not too late. There are 2 ways to donate:
1. Click on link: http://harperpto.com/ignite-donation/
2. Drop off a check in the iGNITE! Folder in the Harper Lobby. Please make the check payable to Harper PTO and include your child's name on the check.
If you have any questions or can’t remember if you made a donation, please reach out to Jill Huebsch. firstname.lastname@example.org
- Yearbook needs you HOEDOWN photos! Please email your Hoedown snaps to email@example.com. Make sure you have purchased your Yearbook before the price increase at the end of October. Go now to http://jostensyearbooks.com/?REF=A09862418
- Book Fair! The book fair will take place October 21-23. Sign up to volunteer: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/30E0C44ADAA22AAFA7-2019
- Harper Garden: The Garden Committee would like to send a HUGE thank you to Greenwise Organic Lawn Care, an Evanston-based landscape company, for donating their time, materials, and design expertise to help us install a new seating area in the garden! The newly configured space gives students the option to sit and do their work during outdoor classroom projects, whereas before they had to stand. If you haven’t already, please check out the space, and enjoy relaxing in the garden!
- Community Service: we will be organizing the annual Thanksgiving Food Drive during the weeks of November 4 and 11- more info to come. Also interested in volunteering? Thanksgiving Day Volunteer Event for Connections for the Homeless http://vhub.at/1WE80BD PS: there will be no Halloween Candy Drive this year (FYI)
- Fall Box Tops Competition! Turn in box tops with the sheet you received in your student's backpack by Monday, October 13th to help Harper raise money for the Harper Maker Space! Each box top raises $0.10! The student who turns in the most box tops will win a $10 Amazon gift card. Also, paper box tops are phasing out and you will begin to see that box tops are going digital. Please visit btfe.com and download the app! Products HERE
- Calling all second-grade girls and dads:
An Adventure Guides group is forming for our class. The first overnight campout is coming up on October 19-20 at Camp Minikani in Hubertus, WI. Additional campout events will occur in the winter and spring along with some other smaller events during the year. All interested dads and daughters are encouraged to join the group. To learn more or register please visit the North Suburban YMCA website (http://www.nsymca.org/programs/adventure-guides) or contact Harper dad Jason Ethington (firstname.lastname@example.org) for more information.
- FREE MONEY for Harper!!! Do you order from Amazon? Please read link to learn about Amazon Smile. If you make a small change to how you order, Harper PTO will receive 0.5% back from Amazon. Remember, only purchases at smile.amazon.com (NOT www.amazon.com or the mobile app) support charity. Be sure when you register your charity to search for Harper PTO. The Amazon Smile "App": You cannot use Amazon Smile with the Amazon App on the iPhone. However, the good news is that you can set up a shortcut to the Amazon Smile website which gives a near-identical experience to the app. It’s very quick and easy to do.
1. If you have the Amazon App installed you should remove it. To do this, tap and hold the app icon until it starts to jiggle. Tap the cross at the top left of the icon and confirm that you want to delete it. Don’t worry, this will not delete your Amazon account or any of your settings.
2. Now load Safari (the iPhone internet browser) and go to smile.amazon.com
3. Tap the ‘share’ button (looks like a square with an arrow pointing up) on the bottom of the screen.
4. Tap the ‘Add to Home Screen’ icon. You may need to swipe to the left to see this.
5. You will now have an Amazon Smile icon on your home screen which you can use in exactly the same way you used the Amazon App.
Remember to select Harper PTO for your Amazon Smile charity.
Community Service Corner
Try doing a 30 day kindness challenge with your family!
The Kindness Connection at Northbrook Court is featuring a new recipient, in addition to our regular recipients.
All of October and November we are volunteering for GiGi's Playhouse
TKC volunteers will make Math Kits for students at GiGi's Playhouse.
Join us for a fun event to celebrate this partnership. We will be making math kit projects with GiGi's Playhouse Kids Club members on Tuesday, October 22nd at 6:00pm. Everyone is welcome! Just come by and help us make this a special events for the kids.
Thanksgiving Volunteer event for Connections for the Homeless on Saturday, Nov 9
It’s a great way for the entire family to help together!
Harper will also be collecting donations for a food drive benefiting Connections for the Homeless from November 4-15
1st grade: Boxed Stuffing/Box Mashed Potatoes
2nd grade: Canned Vegetables
3rd grade: Gravy/Broth/Soup
4th grade: graham crackers/pie filling
- Rotary Club of Wilmette is hosting its annual BIG BOOK DRIVE October 1st - November 16th at all D39 schools. Start saving your gently used books!
- Wilmette Food Pantry is open every Tuesday 10:30-11:30 am at Trinity United Methodist Church.
All announcements to be included in the Harper Happenings should be sent to Kelly Maggio via the Communication Request Form by Mondays at 9 am. If you do not receive an email response within 24hrs, please send an email to email@example.com to confirm your Communication Request Form was received.
For more school information, visit the Harper PTO website.
For additional D39 community events, visit wilmette39.org