Milton S. Hershey
By: Cecilia Polevoy and Synia Malbrough
Who was Milton Hershey?
- Founded Hershey Chocolate Company in Pennsylvania and it makes a variety of delicious chocolate
- First job: apprentice for a printer in Lancaster
- Since he was unhappy with this job, he quit and became an apprentice for a candy maker (also in Lancaster)
- After candy making apprenticeship, went to start own candy making business, but failed
- 2nd and 3rd attempts in New York and Chicago also failed
- Returned to Lancaster and became successful business man by starting the Lancaster Caramel Company in 1883
- Bought 40,000 acres of land and got good milk to make good quality milk chocolate
- Milk chocolate factory was finished in 1905 and was most up to date factory with mass production
- Hershey's chocolate was the first like it to be marketed
- Full name: Milton Snavely Hershey
- Born on a farm in Lancaster on September 13, 1857
- Family moved regularly, so Milton quit school and only completed the 4th grade
- Parents' names: Veronica "Fanny" Snavely and Henry Hershey
- Hershey had a younger sister, Serina Hershey
- Serina died at age 4 from disease
- Milton Hershey was married to Catherine Sweeny from 1898 until 1915.
- Milton Hershey died in 1945
As of 2012, Milton Hershey's net worth was $683,423,000.
What is Hershey's Chocolate Company doing now?
- Making smiles all around the world in 90 different countries
- In 1994, Hershey's nuggets and Hershey's Cookies' n' Cream were introduced
- Coming out with seasonal chocolates
- Ex: Hershey's drops and Hershey's hearts for Valentine's Day
- 1935: Hershey donated $20,000 to 5 churches in his hometown
- 1915: Contributed $60 million to a school for orphaned boys and it was later called the Milton Hershey school
- Hershey Chocolate Company gave $50 million to construct the Milton S. Hershey Center of Pennsylvania State University
- Milton Hershey and his wife were scheduled to board the Titanic, but Catherine got sick so they thankfully canceled at the last minute
- As a boy, Hershey once heard the sounds of cannons firing from the Battle of Gettysburg from his home
- Milton Hershey was the first person in Lancaster to purchase an automobile, and the price was $2,000
- Hershey used to say, "Give them quality. That's the best kind of advertising in the world."