Stem and Leaf Plot
Steps of a " Stem And Leaf Plot "
- Arrange the data from smallest to largest and label them from 1 to the number of data points.
- Find the median of the data
- Find the lower quartile
- Find the upper quartile
- Find the minimum and maximum value
When are they used ?
Stem and Leaf Plots can be used to analyze data and display data all at the same time. This is a way of showing each data value along with its relationship to the other values.
If you turn a stem-and-leaf plot on its side, it's sort of like a histogram.
What are the pros and cons?
- Visually represents complicated lists of numbers
- Can be used on one, two, and three digit numbers
- Can be used on decimals
- Can be used for money values (Dollars and Cents)
- Can be used to find Mean, Median, and Mode (Statistical Measures)
- The numbers must be placed in order of lowest to highest
- Not good if maximum or minimum numbers lie far away from the rest
- Not great if there are more than one decimal place