Weekly eNews, March 31, 2023
This week was so much fun with our Boosterthon fundraiser. Our students had a great time with the Boosterthon Team, "Silly Lilly" and "All-Star Alan". I loved seeing our students celebrate a successful week during our Fun Run. It was a great time! Thank you for supporting our school community and gathering donations. The funds we raised will benefit the entire school.
I hope everyone has a restful and fun spring break. I am looking forward to spending quality time with my family and I hope you all find some time to do the same. During the break, I encourage students to continue reading. Students can read to a family member, pet, or stuffed animal.
When we return from spring break, we will be hosting kindergarten registration on April 12 from 9:00 AM- 1:00 PM in our cafeteria. Please help us spread the word so we can welcome as many students as possible on that day. I am looking forward to meeting our newest Berkeley Lake Bears!
As always, I appreciate your continued support. My door is always open for feedback. Have a wonderful weekend!
Thank You Again for Your Support of Our Boosterthon
What a great week we had raising money through Boosterthon to make local school improvements! Thanks to the generous donations of parents, extended families, friends, community and business partnerships, as of this morning, we had not only met our $20,000 goal but had exceeded it by about $3,000!
The students and staff had a great week with the Boosterthon team members that came to our school. As Ms. Coughlin mentioned in her section above, Allstar Alan and Silly Lily did a fantastic job of motivating students, staff and parents.
Happening Tomorrow, April 1st (Saturday)
Events for the Week Following Spring Break
Monday, April 10
- 3:00pm Chess Club
- 3:15pm Green Team meets
Tuesday, April 11
- Picture Day
- 9:30am Play to Learn. Click the link here for more information.
- 6:00pm Zoom Parent Workshop explaining the Gifted program
Wednesday, April 12
- 9:00am - 1:00pm Kindergarten Registration
Thursday, April 13
- 9:00am Zoom "Coffee and Conversation with Principal, Ashley Coughlin" for those who missed the previous in-person one on March 16th. Zoom info. below.
- 6:00pm In-person Parent Workshop explaining the Gifted program
Friday, April 14
- Progress reports
- 10:00am Little Learners Academy
April 11th (Tuesday), Spring Picture Day
For spring pictures this year, we will be taking individual student photos and creating a blended class photo digitally from the pictures.
April 11th and 13th, Parent Meetings About Our Gifted Program
We are hosting a Gifted Parent Workshop for all parents that are curious about the identification process, talent development opportunities, and social emotional tips! The workshop is designed to help empower parents to effectively advocate for their children! Mrs. Orci will provide Spanish interpretation for the meeting and it will be offered through Zoom on April 11 from 6:00-7:00PM and again in-person on April 13 from 6:00-7:00PM.
April 12th (Wednesday) if You Will You Have a Child in Kindergarten Next Year
Kindergarten registration for next school year will take place on April 12th. Click here or on the image below to see a PDF of documentation that needs to be brought to registration.
April 13, (Thursday) Coffee and Conversation Through Zoom
Click here for the Zoom link. Please use Meeting ID 944 6848 0862 and passcode 631660
April 14 (Friday), Little Learners Academy
10:00 - 11:00 AM
April 17th (Monday) Informational Meeting for Parents of Children Who Will Be in Kindergarten at BLES Next Year
*Please note this is a time change from what was originally shared.
From Our PTO:
5th grade Promotion/Attention all 5th grade parents
It’s hard to believe that we are winding down the year and our 5th graders will be soon saying goodbye to their time at Berkeley Lake. The PTO is helping to assist with some awesome promotion activities because we want to make this special for them. Let’s look back at how they’ve grown, so for all 5th grade parents, please send in 5th grade student baby pictures for the 5th grade promotion slide show!
Email pictures to Amy Potter at this email address: email@example.com. Please be sure to include the student's name and teacher in your email.
PTO General Meeting
Join us on May 4, 2023 at 5:30 pm for our PTO/Volunteer Informational Meeting:
Join the PTO for a BIG THANK YOU for helping out the school this year. We will get together at school to discuss what the PTO is all about, how you can help and volunteer at the school and just hang with other parents while we say thank you for all the help you've given to our amazing Berkeley Lake Bears this school year.
You can still order a yearbook. Don't miss your opportunity to order your copy of this year's memories. You can still order a yearbook for $35.00 until the sale ends April 19, 2023. Click here to place an order.
We Have a Winner
Throughout the month of March, our students have been participating in the "March Madness Tournament of Books." 16 specific books were shared with them, and they voted every few days to narrow down the selection. Congratulations to the book, The Sour Grape, by Jory John and Pete Oswald, for being the school winning book.
Did you know April is National Poetry Month?
In celebration, we are excited to announce a poetry contest for all 3rd, 4th, and 5th grade students.
Students can write an original poem on any subject, no more than 20 lines, and turn it into the Media Center by Friday, April 21st. Each students' poetry entry will be submitted to the National Student Poetry Contest, and it may be selected to be published!
Many great prizes such as a cash, Amazon gift cards, and electronics will be awarded, just for entering the contest!
Important information about the contest and an entry form can be found in the folder outside the Media Center and in the 5th grade hallway.
April 20th (Thursday) Title I Planning Meeting
The Planning Meeting is an opportunity for Berkeley Lake parents and community members to provide input on our Local School Plan for Improvement (LSPI) goals for the 23-24 school year. It is also one opportunity for you to provide input on the The Plan... The Promise... and Budget.
When: Thursday, April 20th at 5:00pm
Where: Zoom and In-Person at the school
Meeting ID: 951 5873 1594
Camp Invention Hiring Leaders and Giving Scholarships
Discount Rate for Camp Invention Available Through Scholarship Funds
- Thanks to the generous support of the Nordson Corporation Foundation, a limited number of need-based scholarships are now available for students on a first-come, first-serve basis. The scholarship is for the amount of $150, which leaves a remaining camp fee of $125. If you are interested in this scholarship opportunity for your child, please email Trina.Ashadele@gcpsk12.org.
- More information about Camp Invention can be found in the Summer Camps section below. This camp will run June 5th - June 8th from 8:00AM - 4:00PM, but an extended day option is available for an additional charge.
Camp Invention is in search of Leaders in Training (LIT).
- Leaders in Training are adults or older teens looking who are willing to work the camp and learn more about its program. Leaders in Training can receive special codes to bring their own children to Camp Invention. Click here for more information about this program.
The K-kids had a great time handing out "You are Awesome" cards to the bus drivers and staff around the building. The group is learning how to "thank" and appreciate others around our community!
We will meet again on April 21st for our last meeting of the year in Mrs. Ashadele's room.
We also will be recruiting new members for the 2023-2024 school year. Our New Member Induction will be on May 19, 2023.
April 24th - May 12th, GMAS for 3rd, 4th, and 5th Grade Students
The end of year Georgia Milestones Assessment (GMAS) will take place the following dates and attendance on these dates will be important. Please do not schedule appointments or schedule out-of-town trips during this period if at all possible.
April 26th (Wednesday) at 12:30 PM
Young children not yet in school are invited to story time at the Duluth Library. A free lunch will be included and a book giveaway while supplies last.
Parents of 5th Graders - Save the Date and More
The 5th Grade Promotion Ceremony schedule has been published. You can find it and other important news by visiting the BLES website > Quicklinks area > 5th Grade Information.
Through May 31: Survey Parents of Students Receiving Special Education Services
If your child is receiving special education services from GCPS, then the state is asking you to participate in a parent survey to measure parent/family perceptions of the success of parents engagement between home and local schools. The survey is now available and will run through May 31st. Click here to access the survey.
Read Five Books to See Disney on Ice!
The Gwinnett County Public Library invites all little readers to read five books and earn a ticket to Disney On Ice’s “Find Your Hero!” This exciting show features Mickey Mouse, Minnie Mouse, Donald Duck, and Goofy as they take an adventure filled with tales of heroism from your favorite Disney stories. For challenge details on how to participate, click here. Visit your nearest GCPL branch to get started!
Laundry Love is a non-profit program that provides free laundry service for low- or no-income families. There is a new location in our area.
- Simpson Circle Cleaners, 2880 Simpson Circle Norcross, GA 30071 (at intersection with Buford Highway)
Laundry Love events at this location are planned to take place monthly, but check with the laundromat or firstname.lastname@example.org for details and updates.
- 1st Thursday mornings, 10am to noon
- 3rd Thursday evenings, 5:30-7:30pm
Summer Camp Information
June 5 - July 21, CAMP RISE Georgia
Camp Rise was founded by a Speech Language Pathologist and an Occupational Therapist for children with special needs. It is a summer camp geared towards individuals with various diagnoses ages 4-13.
We provide a friendly, supportive, and cooperative atmosphere. Our approach fosters individual growth in functional communication and motor skills at each camper’s own pace. Click here or on the image below to learn more.
- Withdrawing or Enrolling a Student? Click here to learn the steps for the process.
- Would you like to purchase a small gift item for our PBIS (Positive Behavior and Intervention Store)? Click here to see our Wish List.
- If your family does not have internet at home and you will need it for the various Digital Learning Days, click here to request a hotspot now. You only need to request one per family and you may keep it for the entire school year. You will need to return it at the end of the year in May.
- Reminder about sending in birthday treats for students Per the Student Handbook: Parents may provide snacks only, no drinks, favors, balloons, or flowers for the child’s birthday. Whole cakes that need to be sliced by staff are not permitted. All students should be included. Nutritious snacks are encouraged. Birthday treats should be handed out and eaten in the cafeteria during the last ten minutes of the lunch period. Please make sure that students mainstreamed in your classroom are included in the count for treats. Buying ice cream at school for each class member is encouraged. Students may not pass out invitations to parties at school unless all members of the class are invited.
- If your family needs additional support, our counselors and Care team can help with basic needs like food, clothes, personal hygiene items, etc. If you would like to access these resources please contact Lyndsay Murphy (K,2,4) Lyndsay.email@example.com 770-582-7523, Laura Marantz (1,3,5) Laura.firstname.lastname@example.org 770-582-7522, or Sandra Orci (Spanish) Sandra.email@example.com 678-291-4232
- Afternoon Transportation Changes Parents, please remember that afternoon transportation changes must be made by 1:30 and there are only two ways for you to make an change for your child: Use the PikMyKid app or send in a signed note. Dojos, emails, or phone calls to change afternoon transportation will not be accepted. Thank you for helping us enforce this rule and keep our kids safe!
- No Student checkouts after 2:15 PM
- If your child misses school Information needed on the excuse note includes: today’s date, the child’s full name, child’s teacher, child’s grade level, date(s) of absence, reason for absence, and parent signature (typed full name if sending via email or Class Dojo).
- MyPaymentsPlus Gwinnett Public Schools uses MyPaymentsPlus as a site for school-related payments and documentation sign off. If you do not yet have an account with this site, you will need to set one up. Click here to learn more.
- We recycle: Berkeley Lake recycles aluminum cans and old clothes and shoes (in any condition) in the two bins in the upper parking lot. The Green Team receives 10¢ per pound of donations, which helps pay the fee for the weekly paper and cardboard pick-up. The aluminum cans are recycled at Progressive Recycling on Simpson Circle. Please support our Green Team by recycling these items here at Berkeley Lake. Thank you!
- We Collect Box Tops Online. Here are instructions for how to continue to give to our school using the new Box Tops process.
- Do You Have a Parent Portal Account? You may have heard about Gwinnett's Parent Portal. The Parent Portal is a website that will allow you to log in and see your child's information, such as attendance, grades, standardized test scores, etc. If you need to register with the portal, please print and complete this registration form and turn it in to the main office. Along with the completed form, you are required to show a photo I.D. for verification.
- Georgia After School Program (GASP) Click here to get more information about the Georgia After School Program.
- Our Parent Center The Berkeley Lake Parent Center is located across from the front office and it's providing services by appointment. For Parent Center support please call Ms. Sandra Orci, Parent Liaison, at 678-291-4232 or email her at Sandra.Orci@gcpsk12.org
- We Thank our Business Partners - if you would like to learn more about a business partnership with our school, click here.
- The Tutoring Center, Duluth, Ga.
- Ultra Baby LLC (Ultrasound and Photography)
- Atlanta Urgent Care - 5246 Peachtree Pkwy
- Brooks Injury Law (Boosterthon Business Partner)
- Peachtree ESQ (Boosterthon Business Partner)
- Fives Group (Boosterthon Business Partner)
- Friend of BLES (Boosterthon Business Partner)
- Georgia After School Program (GASP) (Boosterthon Business Partner)
- JR's Log House (Boosterthon Business Partner)
- Ms. Sweet - 3rd Grade (Boosterthon Business Partner)
- CAMP RISE GEORGIA (Boosterthon Business Partner)