The Buffalo Call
Southeast High School's Week-at-a-Glance - 11/19 - 11/25
"As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them." — John F. Kennedy
Letter from Ms. Cooper
This week, our school will only be in session on Monday and Tuesday. The rest of the week will be dedicated to Thanksgiving break, providing an opportunity for our students, faculty, and families to spend quality time together and reflect on the blessings in our lives.
Having just two school days next week offers a chance for students to recharge, spend valuable moments with family, and reflect on the importance of gratitude. Thanksgiving is a time to appreciate the many aspects of our lives that we may sometimes take for granted.
I encourage you to use this break to engage in meaningful conversations with your children about the significance of gratitude. Take some time to reflect on the positive aspects of life, fostering an environment of appreciation and mindfulness. Whether through shared meals, family activities, or simply quiet moments together, the break presents an excellent opportunity to strengthen family bonds and create lasting memories.
Holiday Resource Guide
Southeast High School
I want to remind everyone about the Southeast Pantry & Fridge that is located in the SEHS Satellite Cafeteria.
- If your family is in need, please have your student visit with a member of our support staff for assistance in accessing the school pantry or fridge.
- Items are not for students who forgot a lunch, but rather to help support students and families in need.
- We will be doing donation drives throughout the year. If you are interested in donating, please email email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you know a business that would be interested in helping, please reach out to email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Turkey Drive Update from 11/17
Thank you all for your donations and support!! SEHS donated 105 turkeys and 540 nonperishable food items to those in need in our community!!
Site Council Update
Thank you to everyone who came out to the Site Council meeting. We had some great conversations. Stay tuned for information regarding our meeting in the spring.
Instructional Strategy Focus
This weeks strategy comes from the letter W - Writing: Exit Ticket
An end of lesson assessment that students complete and submit prior to the end of class. Encourages students to synthesize information covered during a class session while providing the instructor with feedback about the current level of student understanding.
During the fall, it is important to remember to slow down and practice gratitude in order to stay grounded. The fall season can be a hectic and busy time of year. Practicing gratitude comes with many health benefits - mental and physical. For more information, read this article published by Betterhelp: What is Gratitude and how can it improve your Mental Health.
Check out BTV
Are you or anyone you know in need of health assistance, Ciarn Health can help.
Ciarn Health - helping pay for vital prescriptions and vision care. 1514 N. Broadway, 683-7559, www.cairnhealth.org, hours M-F 8:30-4
WICHITA PUBLIC SCHOOLS
Almost half of our Wichita Public Schools students were identified as chronically absent in the 2022-23 school year, meaning they missed at least 18 days of school last year. This rate is almost double the year-end rate from 2019! We need your help to get our students back on track.
Please encourage your student to attend every class, everyday. Let's increase the average weekly attendance score by decreasing the total number of absences.
Please check your parent-vue account to make sure your student is not on the F list and is passing all of their classes.
Credit Recovery/Learning Center
If your student is recovering a credit in our learning center, please encourage them to complete. So far this school year our students have recovered 143 courses. Great work!
A-C 40 courses recovered
D-H 27 courses recovered
I-M 30 courses recovered
N-SH 26 courses recovered
Si-Z 20 courses recovered
8 of our seniors are now on track for graduating!
Early Release Wednesdays
Student ID's & Sporting Events
Clear Bag Policy
The Wichita Public Schools and the Greater Wichita Athletic League will implement a new policy at basketball games and football games in order to enhance the safety and security of our students, staff, parents and guests. Like many other athletic venues, we will begin a clear bag policy on December 2, which will speed up the entry process and create the safest-possible game day experience.
The acceptable bags include:
- A clear tote with dimensions 12” x 12” x 6” or smaller
- A clear gallon re-sealable plastic bag
- A small clutch bag 5.5” x 7.5” or smaller
Prohibited items include:
- Outside food or drink
- Illegal substances (alcohol, drugs)
- Cigarettes, tobacco, e-cigs, vapes
- Weapons (firearms, knives, pepper spray, box cutters, etc.)
- Noise making devices (air horns, bullhorns, cow bells, etc.)
- Laser pointing devices
- Fireworks, flares
- Skateboards, roller blades, heelies
We will also continue our visitor policy where high school student attendance will be limited to the two competing schools. All students must show their school ID in order to be admitted to the game. Middle school and elementary school students must be accompanied by an adult.
Online Sporting Events Tickets
Mental Health Matters
Student Connect Hotline: If your student has a concern and wants to problem solve with a licensed staff member, please encourage them to connect with the Student Connect Hotline.
After School Wednesday Tutoring
Inform your student to have enough work and to be in their tutoring room by 3:30pm. Remind your student to see the TVs in the Hallways for the room numbers.
- Homework Hotline supports students of all grade levels who have questions about their assignments.
- Get help by calling (973-4411) or emailing (email@example.com).
- The Homework Hotline is open 3:30-7:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday.
Cell Phone Policy
Student Replacement ID's by Alpha
Tardies & Hallsweeps
Remind your student to be on time to class everyday and avoid being a part of this data.
Hall Sweeps Data for the Week Ending 11/17
Hall Sweeps Data for the Week Ending 11/9
Southeast High Sports Apparel
Check us out on social to learn more. Go Wichita Southeast High School!
- Boys Soccer Banquet - Satellite Cafeteria (6:00-7:00pm)
Tuesday, 11/21/23 (EVEN DAY)
- Boys Basketball: Varsity & JV Scrimmage - Southeast HS vs. Multiple Schools (6:00pm - Varsity - Main Gym; JV - Auxiliary Gym)
Wednesday, 11/22/23 NO SCHOOL
- Conference Release Day - No School
Thursday, 11/23/23 NO SCHOOL
- Fall Break - No School
Friday, 11/24/23 NO SCHOOL
- Fall Break - No School