2017-2018 Parent Newsletter
October 13, 2017 - Issue #10
- Mrs. Rowin
- Mrs. Outlaw
Our school-wide total is 3600!
Grade Level Totals:
First Grade: 1000
Second Grade: 1000
Third Grade: 500
Dance Party Details - Since we met our campus goal of 3000 BEFORE the end of the 1st nine weeks, the dance party will be on Friday, October 20th. PPCD/PK/Kinder/1st Grade will be from 1:30-1:45 in the gym. 2nd and 3rd Grades will be 2:15-2:30 in the gym.
Playing a math game in 2nd grade
Getting pep rally ready in 1st grade
Not sure who is having more fun, the PPCD students or the cheerleader, volleyball and football players
Working on poetry in 1st grade
Jake Hurley shows kindergarten students the basics of football
Shelby Sanchez and Tristan Arambula play sight word bingo in 1st grade
2017 Bond Election Information
LVISD will have presentations about the bond on October 16 in Viking Hall at 6:00. A third presentation will be on October 11, at 7:00 in the PAC, presentation will be before the Candidates Night debate.
- The amount of bond is $2.9 million.
- Will taxes increase? No, the tax rate will remain the same $1.32
- What is the bond for? HVAC replacements, transportation needs, technology needs, maintenance equipment, and service road repair.
- How long will it take to pay off the bond? The bond will be paid off in 6 years.
- Will we have to send any of the bond money back to the state? No, LVISD will be able to keep 100% of the money.
Transportation Changes for October 27th Early Release Day
Due to the shortened day, transportation changes will not be accepted on October 27th. If you need to make a transportation change for your child for October 27th, please have it in on or before Thursday, October 26th. We greatly appreciate your help in making the early release dismissal run smoothly!
Pumpkin Character Activity and Gallery Walk
Red Ribbon Week 2017
We encourage students to pledge to respect themselves by being drug free. All students and staff are invited to show their personal commitment to a drug free lifestyle by participating in our 2017 Red Ribbon Week activities.
Write The Check Fundraiser
Thank you to the following families/businesses for their contribution to the WRITE THE CHECK CAMPAIGN:
- Richardson Family
- Norman Family
- Dun Family
- Lassites Family
- Melendez Family
- Pence Family
- Fox Family
- Rodriguez Family
- Wesselman Family
- Gilbert Family
- Vaughn Family
- Emerie Custom Homes
- Smith Family
Fall Festival News
Mark your calendars for the Fall Family Festival on Friday, Nov. 3rd from 5:30pm to 7:30pm. There will be food trucks, games, prizes, face painting, jumpy houses, and much, much more so you don't want to miss out!
Wristbands will go on sale today through October 25th. Look for a flyer coming home in today's Friday folder. Advanced wristband prices are $10 (ages 4 and up) and $5 (3 and under). After October 25th, prices will increase to $12 (ages 4 and up) and $7 (3 and under). Don't miss out...buy your wristbands today!
Committee Volunteers are now needed – if interested, please email Becky Richardson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Order here online:
School code: 13030118 OR enter Texas, Lago Vista.
We are also looking for yearbook photo submissions. You can never send to many! You may email them to email@example.com subject title. If you are on a time crunchy, send a quick email and we will provide a dropbox link to drop to the photos to or a phone number to text them to.
We are currently looking for the following pictures: Meet the teacher, 1st day of school, random school/lunch pictures, Pep Rallies, football/sport player classroom meeting, Viking Spirit Friday's, college Wednesdays, crazy sock day, crazy hair day, neon day, pajama day, grandparents lunch, Watch DOG pictures. Keep us in mind through out the year when creating memories, send them our way! Thank you!
Any questions regarding yearbook should be sent to LVESyearbook@gmail.com
Yearbook Cover Contest
The deadline for the yearbook cover contest is Friday, October 21st! If you would like to submit a drawing for the contest, here are the guidelines:
- Theme: Sail Into Learning. Think nautical theme.
- Guidelines: Open to 3rd grade students only. Keep with in the theme listed above. Use your imagination and be creative! Must be on 8.5 x 11 paper, one side only, MUST contain the title ‘Sail Into Learning’ somewhere within the design. May use marker, colored pencils, crayons, pastels, paints, letter stickers, construction paper or other textured looks on top of the 8.5 x 11 paper ie: computer paper. NOTE: Please keep the look flat enough that it can be scanned on a scanner to the computer). Entire piece must be done by a LVES 3rd grader. Artist may autograph his/her artwork in bottom right corner. On the back please legibly write first and last name, followed by teacher’s name in pencil.
- Deadline: All entries must be submitted by Friday, October 20th. Return to the teacher or submit to front office.
- The 1st place winner’s artwork will appear on the front cover of the 2017-2018 LVES Yearbook! The winner will also receive a FREE softcover copy of the yearbook.
If you have any questions about the yearbook cover contest, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Watch DOGS of the Week
- Monday, October 16th: OPEN
- Tuesday, October 17th: Jeff Cannon
- Wednesday, October 18th: Gary Olsen
- Thursday, October 19th: OPEN
- Friday, October 20th: OPEN
If you would like to be a Watch DOG at LVES, please contact Mr. Holt (email@example.com) for more information.
COLLEGE DAY IS EVERY WEDNESDAY...WEAR YOUR FAVORITE COLLEGE SHIRT!
Third Grade students help Mr. Holt feed our animals in the front hallway. Samantha the Skink is a new addition to LVES, and she loves being held!
Mrs. Walker's 2nd grade class uses "Twitter" to create synonyms.
Students in Mrs. Jimenez play a vocabulary game.
Students in Ms. Voisinet's science class use Seesaw and QR codes on iPads to upload their science notes about weather.
Ms. Gase lets students use dry erase markers on the table to practice addition facts.
Coach Lash helps kindergarten students with push-ups during PE.
Mrs. Courtney Boyles - PPCD Teacher
1. Where are you from originally?
I was born in California, but moved to Texas when I was about a year old. I grew up in North West Austin and have lived in and around the Austin area ever since moving here.
2. How long have you been teaching?
This will be my 6th year teaching, first in Lago Vista, and first in PPCD (preschool program for children with disabilities). Before Lago I taught in Round Rock ISD as a functional communication classroom teacher.
3. Tell us about your family...
I have a sweet 6 month old little boy named Pace Henry, an amazing husband of 3 years, a Great Dane named Athena, a Australian Shepard/Blue Heeler mix named Gus, and a beautiful longhorn named Mack. We live on a ranch with my in laws who have cows, a donkey, and plans for chickens.
4. What are your favorite hobbies? What are your favorite animals?
Right now my hobbies include home design as we start to build our dream home, spending time with my husband and son, exploring Marble Falls and Lago Vista (we just moved out this way in May), listening to live music, finding fun hole in the wall restaurants to try, going to farmers markets, and enjoying time with our friends and family.
Favorite animals are dogs, longhorns (hook 'em), monkeys, dolphins and owls.
5. What is your favorite part about your job?
Student progress. Seeing students do something new that they've never done before or mastering a skill they have been working so hard on is the best part of my job. It's the little things too, it doesn't happen over night, so seeing those small victories that turn into big accomplishments is so rewarding.
Mrs. Mindi Carson - PPCD Paraprofessional
1. How long have you worked in Lago Vista and what did you do before you started at LVES?
This is my second year as a PPCD Paraprofessional. Before working at LVES, I was a stay at home mom for 6 years and also worked 1 year at The Academy in Lago Vista.
2. Where are you from originally?
I was born in Austin, Texas! I have lived most of my life in small towns all over Texas but also lived in Georgia for 11 years.
3. Tell us about your family...
My husband, Jason, and I have been married for 10 years. He is a driver for UPS and has lived in the Lago Vista area since 1993. We have 2 children and they both go to school here in Lago. Zane is our oldest, in 5th grade. He LOVES to play baseball in the spring and All Stars in the summer. Our daughter, Kaden, is in 2nd grade. She is doing cheer for the first time this year (Go Vikings) and really enjoys it.
4. What are your favorite hobbies?
We are a big baseball family!! We love going to Round Rock Express games often and a few MLB games each year. We have even been to the Louisville Slugger factory! As a family, we also enjoy road trips. We have been to more than 30 states from Washington to Florida (driving to all of them).
5. What is your favorite part of your job?
Seeing our students learn new skills and watching how much they grow over the year! Knowing that you had a part in teaching a child something new is an amazing feeling.
Character Trait of the Month - Respect
- Treat others with respect; follow the Golden Rule;
- Be tolerant and accepting of differences;
- Use good manners, not bad manners;
- Be considerate of the feelings of others;
- Don't threaten, hit or hurt anyone;
- Deal peacefully with anger, insults, and disagreements.
Students will learn more about Respect in Guidance with Mrs. Sexton!
Hello LVES Families!
During the month of October, students are learning about the character trait of Respect. In our guidance class lessons, students are understanding that respect can mean being polite and using manners, as well as respecting other people’s differences. Students will also learn about respecting themselves, as we promote Red Ribbon Week and staying drug-free.
Our Red Ribbon Week Theme Days will be October 23-27!
Mon. “You’d Be Crazy to do Drugs”- Wear crazy hair, socks, & outfits! (No hats, please!)
Tues. “Lei Off Drugs!”- Wear a lei and/or Hawaiian attire!
Wed. “We’re REaDy to Be Drug Free!”- Wear red for the Red Ribbon Pledge Signing!
Thur. “Team Up Against Drugs!”- Wear your blue & gold Viking spirit wear!
Fri. “We are Too Bright to do Drugs!”- Wear bright or neon colors!
Let’s show our community how the Lago Vista Elementary School Vikings know how to respect themselves and others by pledging to be drug-free! Have fun dressing up on the theme days-and remember, you only live once! Make it count, and make it drug-free!
Weekly Attendance Goal
Weekly Attendance for week of October 12th:
- 94.05%- We did not meet our goal again this week, but will we did increase from last week! All grade levels increased their attendance average from last week!
Grade Level Totals:
PPCD: 96.43% - barely missed our weekly goal, but they increased their average by over 10% in one week! Way to go PPCD!
First Grade: 96.40% - Fantastic job meeting our weekly goal!
Second Grade: 94.53%
Third Grade: 92.45
Lago Vista Elementary PTO Facebook
Christine Harris, Administrative Assistant
Registration and Attendance:
Veronica Fidencio, Registrar/Attendance Clerk
Student Emotional Support:
Amy Sexton, Counselor
Kimberly Latham-Whitehead, School Nurse
Discipline and School Improvement:
Michelle Jackson, Principal
Eric Holt, Assistant Principal
Bus Routes and Transportation:
Jay Powell, Director of Transportation
(512) 267-8300, ext. 1508
Mark Your Calendars...
- October 18th: Fall Pictures
- October 20th: Dance Party for Golden Ticket Goal
- October 23rd-27th: Red Ribbon Week - daily themes coming soon
- October 25th: Fall G/T Parent Meeting, 6:30-7:30 in Viking Hall
- October 26th: Transportation Changes for Early Release due on or before 4:00 pm
- October 27th: Early Release at 11:30 am - No transportation changes are accepted on Early Release days
- October 27th: Parent Teacher Fall Conferences - be on the lookout for sign ups from teachers coming soon
- October 27th: Football Players, Cheerleaders Visit
- October 31st: Pumpkin Character Gallery Walk
- November 1st: Perfect Attendance (K-3) and Honor Roll (3rd Grade) Recognition during lunches