NORTH CAROLINA SEL NEWSLETTER
Implementing SEL Across Our State
In this issue
- NC SEL Implementation Update to State Board of Education
- Summer & Fall 2020 Released Resources
- NC SEL Implementation Update
- Key NC SEL Resources
- SEL and Educational Equity
- Important Dates
PLEASE ALSO CONSIDER THE PRESENTATION FROM DR. DUDLEY FLOOD
- Dr. James E Ford introduction to Dr. Dudley Flood (starts at 7:17)
- Dr. Dudley Flood (starts at 10:25)
SUMMER & FALL 2020 RELEASED RESOURCES
3 Signature Practices
The 3 Signature Practices when carefully chosen, effectively facilitated, and thoughtfully debriefed create a solid foundation of safety, consistency, and joy in adult and student learning environments. These signature practices create conditions for growth and learning across all five SEL competencies while using culturally responsive teaching strategies.
- 3 Signature Practices for Adults: Creating Conditions for Adult Learning (one-pager)
- 3 Signature Practices for Students: Creating Conditions for Student Learning (one-pager)
- CASEL 3 Signature Practices Playbook
NC SEL Standards Mapping Documents
NC SEL Standards Mapping Documents Table- these documents show connections between existing standards in twelve content areas and CASEL's Core SEL Competencies. Each document provides acknowledgments, an introduction, and activities & practices across each CASEL Core SEL Competency and standards alignment with each CASEL Core SEL Competency.
NC SEL IMPLEMENTATION UPDATE
North Carolina joined CASEL's Collaborating States Initiative and formed the North Carolina SEL Implementation Team. This team is cross-agency (North Carolina Department of Public Instruction and North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services) and cross-division, including eleven divisions. As part of CASEL's Collaborating District Initiative, Guilford County Schools has also joined our state team. Our state team used CASEL's State Education Agency Theory of Action to create a state implementation plan. The plan is organized in Four Focus Areas, including Building Foundational Support and Plan, Strengthen Adult SEL Competencies and Capacity, Promote SEL for Students, and Use Data for Continuous Improvement.
Winter and Spring Key Activities include:
- launch NC SEL website,
- launch NC SEL Landscape Map,
- enhance student voice and SEL partnerships,
- and launch an SEL module for NCDPI staff.
We look forward to supporting implementation of SEL in all districts and schools through the NC SEL and Equity Project. Check out Important Dates for additional information.
You can see highlights from our NC SEL Implementation Flyer.
SEL and Educational Equity
support all individuals in reaching their fullest potential. Systemic implementation of SEL
fosters and depends on an equitable learning environment where all students and adults feel
respected, valued, and affirmed in their individual interests, talents, social identities, cultural values, and backgrounds. While SEL alone will not solve longstanding and deep-seated inequities in the education system, it can help states, districts, and schools promote understanding, examine biases, reflect on and address the impact of racism and other isms, build cross-cultural relationships, and cultivate adult and student practices that close opportunity gaps and create more inclusive school communities. In doing so, SEAs can promote high-quality educational opportunities and outcomes for all students, irrespective of race, socioeconomic status, gender, sexual orientation, and other differences. This requires that SEL be implemented with an explicit goal of promoting educational equity." (CASEL's State Education Agency Theory of Action, 2020, p. 4)
Opportunity: NC SEL & Equity Project All LEA's, including charter schools and non-traditional LEAs, are invited to participate in this project. See this Memo for details. Please note the deadline to register is September 8, 2020.
- Applying an Equity Lens to Social, Emotional, and Academic Development
- CASEL Transformative SEL Draft
- Insights: SEL as a Lever for Equity and Excellence
- National Skills Coalition
- Protocol for Assessing Equity Mindedness in State Policy
- Pursuing Social Emotional Development through a Racial Equity Lens
- Racial Equity: Getting to Results
- Racial Equity Impact Assessment
- August 28, 1:00-2:00- Cultivating Adult SEL In Unprecedented Times. View here: CASEL Weekly Webinars.
- September 8, 2020- NC SEL & Equity Project Partnership Agreement Deadline- LEAs, including charter schools and non-traditional LEAs, submit NC SEL & Equity Project Partnership Agreement. Additional information here: Memo.
Revised May 25, 2021