Sound of Sun Prairie Newsletter
January 6, 2020
Greetings Sun Prairie Band Families
- Invite your student to consider joining us this year
- Provide you with important dates and times
- Answer some basic questions about how to get started
- Relay information to you about fundraisers and scholarships
Don't worry, if your child decides not to do SOSP you will not continue to receive this newsletter forever!
What Is The Sound of Sun Prairie?
The purpose of the Sound of Sun Prairie is to provide an environment in which students can learn to work cooperatively toward common goals, the power of positive attitudes, personal responsibility, self-motivation, individual sacrifice for the good of the group, and striving to work to the best of one’s ability at all times. It is a student-centered organization that promotes personal growth and student leadership. The band’s philosophy is based on the belief that learning to be successful in marching band involves the same process as learning to be successful in other endeavors and that understanding the process for success is the most important part of attaining success.
SOSP is a member of the Mid-America Competing Band Directors Association (MACBDA) and it follows their schedule of events. This includes marching and competing in parades and field show competitions throughout the Midwest.
What Happens First? OPEN HOUSE this Sunday!!
- When? THIS Sunday, January 12 from 1-4 PM
- Where? Sun Prairie High School (Enter Door #3)
- Who? Sun Prairie band students in grades 8-12
- What To Bring? Athletic Clothes & Shoes, Instrument and Supplies (tubas, euphs, or horns...just bring mouthpiece)
- What Will Happen? Students will get the opportunity to meet and greet each other, learn about SOSP, ask questions, try some marching drills, play some of our music, and most certainly...have fun!
- Can Parents Come? We will hold a parent information meeting at 3 PM in the band room if you want to learn more. Family members are welcome to watch some of the rehearsal as well.
When Does The Sound Season Begin and End?
How and When Can We Join?
SOSP Registration will take place on Saturday, Feb 29 between 9 am - 1 pm. Families can "drop-in" when it is convenient to take care of the registration process.
Our first SOSP rehearsal will be the following week on March 7th!
Are Scholarships Available?
The Bernie Powers Band Foundation is sponsoring and managing four scholarships available to band students in the Sun Prairie School District.
Marcia Berman Marching Band/Percussion Scholarship: $200
For students in grades 8-12 to participate in The Sound of Sun Prairie or to assist with percussion lessons or summer camp.
Ken Paris Music Scholarship: $500
For a graduating high school senior who has participated in the Sun Prairie Band program and plans to attend a four year university, technical/vocational school or short career training course.
Jock Bogle Music Education Scholarship: $300
For a graduating high school senior who intends to study music education
Jeff Bogosh Summer Jazz Camp Scholarship: $500
For a student in grades 8-11 to attend a summer jazz camp and then share skills learned by participating in the Jazz program after camp.
For more information, please contact your band director or visit our website at www.bpbf.org
Applications for all scholarships will be online January 6, 2020.
All applications are due Friday March 20, 2020
Fish Fry THIS Friday! We Need Your Help!
WHEN? THIS Friday January 10th, 5-8pm,
WHERE? Round Table, Sun Prairie
COST - $12.00
- 3 pc. deep fried/baked cod
- French fries or baked potato
- Cole slaw
- Baked Beans
- Extra fish - $2/piece
- 7 pc. Shrimp for $12
- 4 pc. Chicken Tenders for $12
- $6 Kids Meals
How can you support this event?
EAT - come join us for a meal and invite your family, neighbors, & friends.
BID - consider bidding on the amazing items in the auction!
BAKE - we will be soliciting baked goods for a dessert sale during the dinner
- Sign Up online: SPBB Fish Fry Sign Up Genius
VOLUNTEER - we will need 25 volunteers in two shifts: 4 - 7pm & 6:30 - 9:30pm
*Sign up using the SPBB Fish Fry Sign Up Genius
*Students WILL be able to volunteer for certain duties - see sign-up above.
Any questions? Please contact:
SPBB Fish Fry Coordinator - Andy Ruplinger: email@example.com