Max and Chris
Tenets of Transcendentalism
- Believed in living close to nature/importance of nature. Nature is the source of truth and inspiration.
- Taught the dignity of manual labor
- Advocated self-trust/ confidence
- Valued individuality/non-conformity/free thought
- Advocated self-reliance/ simplicity
The First Transcendentalists
The hippies also believed to live close to nature and to be individual. Most hippies like to live with other hippies so that they can support each other and not rely on the government for their support.