Titan Talk Newsletter
August 24, 2018
Upcoming Dates in August...
- 8/28 - "Get Ready for 8th Grade Year" a Parent University Workshop (English) @ 6 pm in the Media Center...Spanish Meeting will be on 9/4 in the Media Center @ 6 pm
- 8/30 - FCA Club @ 7:45 am...Bring Your Parent to FCA Day! (Media Center)
- 8/30 - Student Council @ 8 am (E-106)
- 8/31 - 8th Grade Band Night @ RHS ﴾11595 King Rd, Roswell, GA)
- 8/31 - FULL RELEASE DAY - NO SCHOOL FOR STUDENTS
IMPORTANT CALENDAR CHANGE AND CORRECTION
Thursday, Oct. 4th is a SCHOOL DAY - STUDENTS REPORT TO SCHOOL.
Tuesday, Nov. 6th is a TEACHER WORK DAY - NO SCHOOL for Students.
Friday, March 8, 2019, is a SCHOOL DAY - STUDENTS REPORT TO SCHOOL.
Message From the Principal
Happy Friday Titans!
I constantly stand in awe of what our school is able to do. I count myself lucky for the way our teachers, staff, parents, and students work together to make our school the absolute best. We never let any obstacles keep us from letting our light shine!
Early in the week, our IT Team successfully installed the missing application on 1,000+ student laptops. This was quite the feat considering our WiFi was disrupted when a construction crew cut through a fiberoptic cable at Hembree Park. Once the cable was repaired, our IT Team and teachers sprung into action and we worked together to return the laptops to students.
Thank you to all our parents and families who came to Curriculum Night. We appreciate you joining us at the Annual Title I Parent Meeting to meet our Admin Support Team and learn about our School-wide plan. Thank you also to our teachers for opening your doors and allowing parents to put themselves in the role of their middle school student for an evening.
Speaking of shining stars, the Dads Club delivered donuts to our staff on Wednesday morning. Thank you to Mr. Will Jones our counselor, and Tracy Murphy, PTSA Vice President, for making arrangements with The Donut Shack. The assortment of donuts, which included a King Cake, was scrumptious.
On Friday, August 31st, Elkins Pointe will not have school for students. Friday will be a professional development day for teachers. This Teacher Workday is a Request for Flexibility (RFF) day. This will be the first of three RFF days organized by the Elkins Pointe School Governance Council (SGC). RFF days allow teachers to train, plan and collaborate, so they can bring the most innovative and impactful teaching techniques to our students.
Enjoy your weekend Titans!
Kindra L. Smith, Ed.S
Elkins Pointe Middle School
Home of the Titans!
Have you joined the PTSA yet?
Mark Your Calendar for the PTSA Student Membership Meeting - 9/10
SMART, HAPPY, AND CONNECTED
Escape the Classroom
Visitor from Japan
Former EPMS student, Ms. Emily Yandel visited Japanese classes on Wednesday. She is currently teaching English at a middle school in Mie, Japan. She talked about her career, her school, what’s popular among her students, etc, and interacted with our students in both Japanese and English. 7th and 8th-grade students wrote letters to her students, and they will continue to write to one another as pen-pals.
RFF DAYS - NO SCHOOL FOR STUDENTS
The approved Elkins Pointe RFF Days are as follows:
- August 31, 2018
- November 16, 2018
- February 19, 2019
What does RFF mean?
RFF means Request For Flexibility and these are the days that the Elkins Pointe School Governance Council (SGC) set aside to be used for Professional Development (PD). Each SGC picks dated that work best for them and submits them to the Fulton County Schools District. RFF Days have been approved by the District. On those days teachers and staff report to school for a full day of training. Students do not have school on RFF days. RFF days are considered part of the school year because teachers and staff are participating in training for student success.
THINGS TO KNOW...
8th Grade Info Night - Parent University - 8/28 (English) & 9/4 (Spanish)
"Get Ready for the 8th grade Year" Parent Meeting will be held on two different nights in two different languages.
- 8/28 @ 6 pm in the Media Center in English
- 9/4 @ 6 pm in the Media Center in Spanish
This meeting includes the Savannah trip info and a brief description of how to prepare yourself and your 8th grader as you prepare to get ready for high school.
Bring Your Parent to the Fellowship of Christian Athletes (FCA) - 8/30 @ 7:45 am
Student Council - 8/30 @ 8 am (Room E-106)
Are you a teenager?
Would you love to help plan school activities for the students of Elkins Pointe?
If you can answer "YES" to both questions, then come to the Student Council Interest Meeting on Thursday, August 30th at 8:00 a.m. in Room E106. We’re looking for students in all grade levels, 6th, 7th, and 8th that have great school spirit have awesome ideas for planning school events and themes and wish to be a voice for the student body to join the Elkins Pointe Student Council. Again, the Student Council Interest Meeting is Thursday, August 30th at 8:00 a.m. in Room E106.
Student Council is composed of elected and non-elected students from ALL grades. Please come and be part of our school's voice!
STAR HOUSE 9/4
STAR House for the 2018-2019 school year will begin on Tuesday, September 4th. The program runs from 4:15-5:30pm, Monday through Thursday. There is also sweep bus transportation if you live at/near any of the stops. STAR House focuses on giving students a safe place where they can complete their homework, as well as an opportunity to increase their literacy skills through a specialized curriculum that STAR House has purchased. If you are interested in having your child participate, please pick up an application form in either the Front Office or the Guidance Office (application forms are in both English and Spanish). STAR House is open to any Elkins Pointe students in grades 6-8.
THINGS FOR STUDENTS...
REFLECTIONS CONTEST - Entries Due on 9/21
The PTA Reflections contest is designed for the creative child that likes to:
- Draw, paint, make sculptures or mosaics
- Write stories, poetry or lyrics
- Compose their and play their own music
- Choreographic a new dance and perform
- Take photographs using a camera or videos on a smartphone or iPad
This year's theme is: "Heroes Around Me." Students are invited to creatively interpret the theme by using one of the methods listed above.
Entry forms were given to WINN Teachers in their mailboxes. Students who are interested may get the form from their WINN, ELA or Connections teachers. Also, parents can download the rules and the forms below:
- Click http://www.georgiapta.org/reflections/ to download entry forms & contest rules
- Entry forms rules can also be picked up at the front desk or in the Media Center
All Reflections entries must be turned into the front office by Sept. 21st! Questions: Email Sarah Baker at email@example.com.
FRENCH MIDDLE SCHOOL CONTEST - 10/26
ATTENTION FRENCH MIDDLE SCHOOL STUDENTS! You are invited to participate in a FRENCH & FRANCOPHONE CULTURE MIDDLE SCHOOL VISUAL ART CONTEST!
- Question: In an era where cafe au lait is at Starbucks and French fashion is at Target, what role does French culture have in our global society?
- Link to Permission Form: https://tinyurl.com/FRENCH-VISUAL-ART-CONTEST-2018
- See Monsieur Mendy for a permission form or more information.
French Contest Entry Deadline: October 26, 2018
Volunteer Opportunity for Middle School Students...Earn Hours -10/26
Middle school students are invited to volunteer at Hembree Springs Freaky Friday on Friday, October 26th. Earn volunteer hours for Junior Beta Club or Interact and "rock out" the concession stands and help make this event fun for all by volunteering your time!
SignUpGenius Link: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/10c054fadad2faafd0-freaky2
- Dinner! Cheese pizza/hot dog provided to volunteers for dinner and a snack of cotton candy/popcorn.
- Attire: Volunteers should wear your middle school, high school or club t-shirt!
- Walk over after school or have your parent drop you off!
- Check in to volunteer at the VOLUNTEER CHECK-IN TABLE & we will sign your Beta/Interact form and assign you to work in the cafeteria or where needed.
If you have any questions, contact Lucy Gilbert @ 404-375-5977 or firstname.lastname@example.org
6th Grade Dance 2018 Volunteers
Calling ALL 6th Grade Elkins Pointe Parent Volunteers! The Elkins PTSA would like to invite you to help us with making the 6th Grade Dance a huge success! The dance will be held on Thursday, September 20th after-school from 4:00 -5:30 p.m. We need help with Ticket Sales, Set-Up, Clean-Up, etc. The more people volunteer, the easier it becomes!
Please read through the following slots for availability and don't hesitate sign up!
If you have any questions, please contact Meghan Fox atMegFox225@gmail.com
NOTE: ALL VOLUNTEERS MUST COMPLETE FCS VOLUNTEER TRAINING.
TITLE I TIDBITS
Upcoming in September...
- 9/3 - LABOR DAY HOLIDAY - SCHOOL CLOSED
- 9/4 - STAR House start date for 2018‐2019
- 9/4 - Prepárese para la reunión de padres del octavo grado en español @ 6 pm (Media Center)
- 9/5 – Soccer Game: Sandy Springs vs. EPMS @ 5:30- 6:00 pm (EPMS)
- 9/6 – FCA @ 7:45 in the Media Center
- 9/6 – Executive Board @ 8 am (PTSA Executive Board Only)
- 9/6 – PTSA Committee Meeting @ 9 am
- 9/6 - Student Council Club – ALL GRADES INVITED @ 8:00 am (Room E‐106 )
- 9/6 - Kiwanis Luncheon Honoring Roswell Cluster TOTYs @ 11:30 am to 1:30 pm (The Mill Kitchen). Congratulations to Rawlings Emory Johnson, EPMS TOTY for 2018-2019
- 9/7 - WEAR EPMS/COLLEGE SWAG - SCHOOL PRIDE DAY @ THE POINTE! Order Spiritwear HERE!
- 9/7- Soccer Game: EPMS vs. Ridgeview @ 5:30 pm to 6:00 pm (Ridgeview Charter School, 5340 Trimble Rd NE, Atlanta, GA﴿
- 9/8 - 6th Grade Band Start-Up Clinic @ 9 am to 12 pm (EPMS)
- 9/12 - Jr. Beta Club @ 8 am in the Media Center
- 9/12 – Soccer Game ‐ Hopewell vs. EPMS @ 5:30 pm (EPMS)
- 9/13 - FCA @ 7:45 am in Media Center
- 9/13 - 6th Grade Bring Your Parent to School Morning (1st & 2nd periods) from 9:00a to 10:30a
- 9/14 - WEAR EPMS/COLLEGE SWAG - SCHOOL PRIDE DAY @ THE POINTE! Order Spiritwear HERE!
- 9/14 - Interact Club Meeting @ 7:45 am (Rm# E‐114)
- 9/14 - 8th Grade Night @ Milton HS w/ Band & Chorus Students (Students zoned for MHS are invited to participate at the MHS vs RHS game with the Marching Band & Chorus)
- 9/16 - Spirit Dining @ Peach & the Porkchop ﴾12040 Etris Rd Ste D100, Roswell, GA). Dine at, order Doordash, or take-out the Peach and the Porkchop and they will give a percentage back to EPMS! The Peach & the Porkchop features Southern comfort food & "Northern-style" sandwiches.
Peach & the Porkchop Menu: peachandtheporkchop.com
Phone: (770) 6965409 / Reservations: opentable.com
Order: doordash.com, seamless.com, grubhub.com
- 9/19 - Fall Picture Day (Fall Picture Day Retakes on 10/30)
- 9/19 - Katha Stuart Mtg @ 9:30 am ‐ MES
- 9/19 - Soccer Game: Crabapple vs. EPMS @ 5:30 pm (Location: 10700 Crabapple Rd, Roswell﴿
- 9/20 - 6th Grade Tailgate Party from after-school to 5:30 pm (EPMS in the cafeteria). Tickets are $5
- 9/20 - FCA @ 7:45 am in the Media Center
- 9/20 - Student Council Club @ 8 am (E‐106)
- 9/21 - WEAR EPMS/COLLEGE SWAG - SCHOOL PRIDE DAY @ THE POINTE! Order Spiritwear HERE!
- 9/24 - REFLECTIONS ENTRIES DUE ‐ PTA CONTEST
- 9/26 ‐ Soccer Game: River Trail vs. EPMS @ 5:30 pm (Location: River Trail Middle School, 10795 Rogers Cir, Duluth, GA ﴿
- 9/26 - Get Connected Night @ 6 PM... Featuring PTSA STEM Activity, Food, Clubs, Activities and more (Cafeteria & Atrium)
- 9/27 - FCA @ 7:45 am in the Media Center
- 9/28 - WEAR EPMS/COLLEGE SWAG - SCHOOL PRIDE DAY @ THE POINTE! Order Spiritwear HERE!
- 9/28 - Soccer Game: Northwestern vs. EPMS @ 5:30 pm (Location: EPMS)
- 9/29 - AVID Day @ GA Tech 2018