Hidden Valley Weekly Bulletin
Week of 2/15/16
Principal Point to Ponder
We have had many teacher absences this school year, and we have had an increase in the last month. When I get a call for an absence it is ALWAYS a legitimate excuse. We do not have a school of teachers that just take off because of a mental break or because they are tired.
I say all this to let you know that some people have lost loved ones, have sick children, or are sick themselves. We are family at Hidden Valley, so I am asking that you just check on your teammates. If you see someone is out, just check on them, make sure that they are OK. We never know what is going on in everyone's personal life, but just checking in on them might provide some comfort that they may need for that moment of time.
Check in with your teammates and make sure that they are OK. They might even need a Hug, Handshake, or High Five.
Instructional strategy of the Week
Acknowledgements and Reminders
* Kudos to Ms. B. Johnson and all of the staff members that helped for the math night celebration. Her thorough preparation and follow through helped make this one of the biggest parent events we have had in a long while. Normally we have about 100 (if we are lucky) people total for our parent nights. This past Thursday at Math night we had over 500. Excellent job. We learned al lot from this turnout, and how we will have to think about doing things moving forward. This was a huge step in the right direction.
*Kudos to the 4th grade Literacy team. Ms. Hoy our TD teadcher send an email with something new she was doing with her TD students and the entire 4th grade was already doing something very similar. Way to challenge ALL of our students with rigor and critical thinking : )
*Kudos to Ms. Chastain and Ms. Austin for trying something new and watching themselves on video to find their own action step. They were very reflective in the process.
*Kudos to Mrs. Bailey and Nurse Milner for stepping in and helping with vision and hearing screenings for our Tier 2 Meetings.
*Kudos to Mr. Hunter for doing a great job MC ing the Bake Off. It was great fun to see staff members dancing and laughing and enjoying good food made by our incredible staff members.
*Shout out to Ms. Blandon, Mr. Busbee and Ms. Manning for stepping in to proctor for ACCESS testing when needed! You are appreciated and you are all great team players!
*Kudos to Ms. Bordelon, Ms. Ferguson, and Ms. Steib who anxiously volunteered to assist with the upcoming PD presentation on close reading and text dependent questions.
*Shout out to Ms. Jorge for doing an awesome job translating for parents during math night, translating for conferences, discipline issues, and translating the Saturday School letter and running the copies! Your hard work does not go unnoticed! You play an important role in increasing our ability to communicate with the entire HVES community! Thanks for all you do!
*The Hidden Valley Elementary School PTO is excited to host its next School Spirit Night. This event will be held at the McDonald's located at 1201 W. Sugar Creek Road on Tuesday, February 23rd from 5:00 pm – 8:00 pm. The key to a successful Spirit Night is having 50 or more friends and family members to visit and enjoy a meal during our designated time period. So come on out and join the fun and support our students by purchasing a meal. Remember to tell the person that is taking your order that you are there to support Hidden Valley Elementary School. All proceeds from Spirit Night will benefit Hidden Valley Elementary School. We have had great turnouts for the first few spirit nights of the year. Thanks to all of you that came out and supported us on those days. We really appreciate it.
* Candy Grams will be delivered the first day we get back from the weekend. (either Mionday or Tuesday, depending on the weather)
* Pictures this week Wednesday 2/17. Please look at the email that Mr. Brynildsen sent to everyone.
* We cannot leave the paste for pennies boxes in the classroom. Someone will be coming around everyday to collect the box, and you can pick up your box in the conference room the following day.
What to Expect This week -------------- Please follow the news for the Weather on Monday
Monday 2/15 (Day 1)
- Art Club 3pm
- Wear your school colors
- Candy grams will be delivered to classes
Tuesday 2/16 (Day 2)
- Tie Tuesday
Wednesday 2/17 (Day 3)
- Group Picture Day- see email from Mr. Brynildsen (PE will come to your class)
- Good News Club 3pm
- Staff meeting at 3:15- PD on close Reading
Thursday 2/18 (Day 4)
- Girl Scout meeting 3pm
- PTO Meeting 4pm
Friday 2/19 (Day 5)
- Caught Soaring award