Coty Moves News
January is Cervical Health Awareness Month
Cervical cancer was once one of the most common causes of cancer death for American women. But over the last 30 years, the cervical cancer death rate has gone down by more than 50%.
The main reason for this change was the increased use of screening tests. Screening can find changes in the cervix before cancer develops. It can also find cervical cancer early − in its most curable stage.
Another way to prevent cervical cancer is to get vaccinated against human papilloma virus (HPV), which causes most cases of cervical cancer. If it’s detected early, cervical cancer is one of the most successfully treatable cancers.
Despite the recognized benefits of cervical cancer screening, not all American women take advantage of it. Most cervical cancers are found in women who have never had a Pap test or who have not had one recently. Women without health insurance and women who have recently immigrated are less likely to have timely cervical cancer screening.
Some factors that can increase your risk for developing cervical cancer include: smoking, a diet low in fruits and vegetables, being overweight, and having a family history of cervical cancer. It is important to keep up with regular screenings and encourage other women in your life to do the same.
Preventing the Flu: Good Health Habits Can Help Stop Germs
The single best way to prevent seasonal flu is to get vaccinated each year, but good health habits like covering your cough and washing your hands often can help stop the spread of germs and prevent respiratory illnesses like the flu.
1. Avoid close contact with people who are sick. When you are sick, keep your distance from others to protect them from getting sick too.
2. If possible, stay home from work, school, and errands when you are sick. This will help prevent spreading your illness to others.
3. Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when coughing or sneezing. It may prevent those around you from getting sick.
4. Washing your hands often will help protect you from germs. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand rub.
5. Germs are often spread when a person touches something that is contaminated with germs and then touches his or her eyes, nose, or mouth.
6. Clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces at home, work or school, especially when someone is ill.
- One of your coworkers lost 2.7lbs. of pure body fat in one month by drinking 40 oz. of water 4x/week, walking 20 min 3x/week, doing stress management techniques for 15 min 3x/week.
- Another one of your coworkers lost 3.4lbs. of body weight in two weeks by walking 2.4 miles with weights in 30 min 5x/week.
- Three Coty employees completed marathons
Wellness Program Reimbursement -- Coty will reimburse each regular employee up to $400/year for any of the following programs: gym membership/dues, group fitness classes, weight loss programs, and smoking cessation programs.
Health Coaching – Free 15-30 min health coaching sessions that focus on achieving your goals within your life circumstances. We uncover the smallest lifestyle adjustment that has the largest impact on your health. You will get results, I guarantee it! Coty Moves Office is located in Human Resources by appointment.