Armstrong High School Weekly Update
Week Of September 14, 2015 to September 18, 2015 (Wk2)
"Membership Has Its Privileges - Building A Strong Foundation”
- Lesson Plans are non-negotiable – Lesson plans must be submitted weekly using the new RPS format – UBD model – Lesson plans are a clear picture of Teaching and Learning opportunities in your class
- Reminder to all teachers - please ensure that you are using your Daily Attendance Logs to keep documentation of your back up attendance. More Logs are available at your request.
- Don't forget to return to Mrs. Murray your daily inspirational thought to be read over the announcements. Feel free to submit multiple thoughts of inspiration!
- NEW Announcement Form! All announcements must be submitted electronically. Click on the link above. Announcements must be submitted the day before they are expected to be read.
- Implementation of the 5-5-5 Parent Call Log has begun – Please see Mrs. Carter if you need additional information
Attendance will start 1st DAY! Remember to only use the attendance on the home page of ASPEN. Mark students absent who are not present the 1st day. The system will turn them into NO Shows.
Teachers are reminded that Daily Attendance is to be taken in ASPEN within the first 15 minutes of class each period. Usage of the Daily Attendance Logs is not an option, it is mandated per the Code of Virginia - § 22.1-259.
To ensure we get the most benefit out of this initiative, please keep in mind the following reminders:
- Tickets are to be handed out only to those students who have arrived to their first period of the day on time.
- Do not give out tickets for any other reason. This is strictly an attendance incentive, behavior/academic rewards can be done separately at the teacher’s discretion.
- Do not allow students to leave class to deposit attendance tickets, they should only be deposited during hall passing.
- Please remind students to write their names on the back of each ticket. (yes, some will still forget, we know..)
Like any system, consistency and continuity are key. It's important that we have 100% compliance on this. If you have a 1st or 2nd period class, please participate fully, anything less will greatly reduce the effectiveness of this program.
If you need more tickets (or never received them in the first place) please let Mr. Carvalhaes know ASAP.
- All staff must wear their RPS ID at all times
- Always lock up all personal items
- DO NOT give studentsbuilding keys for any reason.
- DO NOT open doors for staff. Side entrance will be locked by 8 AM each day. After 8 AM only use the front door entrance.
- Restricted Movement means Restricted Movement! No one is to move when a Restricted Movement Notice has been given. Students nor staff are permitted to be in the hall way. It is for your safety!
- DO NOT purchase snacks for students out of the vending machines. The Vending Machines in room 118 have been relocated to teacher work room.
- DO NOT block a door if a students is trying to leave. Dial 501 to alert security.
- DO NOT encourage students to leave you room. If you need a student removed, alert security.
- DO NOT deny students entrance into class if they are late.
- Please place notification on your door if you are relocating your classroom.
- Follow the 30/30 rule, always!
- Remember NO lunch starts at the bell!
Strengthening the Craft of Teaching and Learning
"100 and 80" days to make a difference in the lives of our students"
Monday - September 14, 2015
No Homeroom this week
7:35 AM – 7:55 AM Breakfast
8:00 AM – 9:35 AM 1st Block (Extra 5 min for Announcements)
9:40 AM -11:10 AM 2nd Block
11:15 AM – 1:10 PM 3rd Block
Lunch A (1st Floor) 11:35 PM – 12:00 PM
1st Floor Instructional Time: 11:15 AM – 11:35 PM, 12:05 PM – 1:10 PM
Lunch B (2nd Floor) 12:45 PM – 1:10 PM
2nd Floor Instructional Time: 11:15 AM – 12:45 PM
1:15 PM – 2:45 PM 4th Block
2:45 PM Student Dismissal
4:30 PM Teacher Dismissal (MONDAY’S ONLY)
3:00 PM Teacher Dismissal (Tuesdays – Friday)
9th grade Assembly (approximately 20 minutes) - Auditorium- 8:15 a.m. - listen for announcement requesting teachers of 9th grade students to come to the Auditorium
Weekly 90 Minute Professional Development - Media Center- 3:00 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Wildcats take on John Marshall at 4:00 p.m. at JM - team will prepare for departure at 11:30 a.m.
Tuesday – September 15, 2015
Wildcat Volleyball travels to Highland Springs - Boys play at 6:00 p.m. and Girls play at 7:00 pm.
Wednesday – September 16, 2015
Wildcat Cross Country runs in the Collegiate Invitational at 5:15 pm.
Thursday – September 17, 2015
Wildcat Volleyball travels to Atlee - Boys start at 6:00 p.m. and Girls start at 7:00 p.m.
Friday – September 18, 2015
Saturday - September 19, 2015
Wildcat Cross Country runs in the William and Mary Invitational at 8:30 a.m.
Questions, Comments, Concerns? Please email me at your earliest convenience.
As always, thank you for all of your hard work and for continuing to Inspire Excellence for all of our students!
Concerns and Updates
- Enrichment Period begins the week of September 21st - begin planning for the 45 minute enrichment
- New Teacher Training - Boushall Middle School - September 23, 2015 - 3:00 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.
- 2 hour early release on Thursday, September 24, 2015
- School is canceled on Friday, September 25, 2015
- Back to School Night Rescheduled for October 1st - 5:30 p.m. - 7:00 p.m.
- October 19 - 23, 2015 - Fall SOL End of Course Writing Assessment - Re-testers and Term Grad
- 2nd Attempt for Term Grads -Fall SOL End of Course Writing Assessment - November 16 - 24, 2015
- The JROTC Military Department will host its annual Veterans Day program- November 10, 2015
- Are your lesson plans updated and outside of your door?
- Lesson Planning Training – please sign up for additional support
- Please be mindful of the students that rotate out of your class with or without a pass. All students must be given a pass to exit your classroom. Hall walkers should not be given an exit ticket out of your room.
- It is imperative that the Faculty and Staff adhere to all due dates and meeting times.
- Make sure student attendance is taken in every class.
- Please make sure you are honoring the 30/30 time frame.
- All teachers are expected to stand at their door during the change of class.
- Please encourage students to move along quickly. We all must communicate the same message to these young people.
- Thank you for all of your hard work!
Google Document showing Sept/Oct Due Dates. **Note - you must be logged into your @richmond.k12.va.us account to have view privileges**
Want to submit a Daily Announcement? Click this button! Requests must be submitted a day in advance.
If you are completing your lesson plans in Google Docs, this is the Google Doc to make a copy of and edit. Don't forget to rename the file to reflect your name and subject!
If you are completing your lesson plans in Microsoft Word, this the the Word Doc to download and edit. Don't forget to rename the file to reflect your name and subject!
Due every Friday to document parent contact. 5 minute calls for 5 students every 5 days.
Due every Friday to document weekly common planning meetings.
AHS Quick Glance Document to assist in finding your students' previous SOL scores. Use this to ascertain their background knowledge to better assist them to succeed!