We Are Together Tamanend!
Book Tastings in the Library!
Reminder--Re-Scheduled Martin Luther King Jr. Teen Peace and Social Justice Summit
Congratulations to the Cast, Crew, Pit, and Faculty Directors for an Amazing Spring Musical!
Impossible things are happening every day! Congratulations to the cast, crew, and pit of Tamanend Players after an incredible weekend. The students worked together since November to present three magical performances of Rodgers and Hammerstein’s Cinderella. Audiences were wowed with the talent of our on-stage performers, delighted with the magic of the crew’s special effects, and blown away by the pit band’s student musicians. The directors would like to extend a special thank you to the many parents and family members who went above and beyond behind the scenes to allow our students to be so successful, as well as our special masked ballroom dancers, Dr. Caughie and Mr. Dudley. Like a true fairy tale, Tamanend’s Cinderella had a very happy ending!
Attention Relay for Life Participants!
Attention Relay for Life Participants!
- All CAPTAINS should have set up teams online by this point.
- By Friday, March 22 – All TEAM MEMBERS must:
1. Register online at www.cbsd.org/relayforlife
2. Pay the $10 registration fee online
3. Have parents fill out the online permission slip they receive through e-mail
- Any questions, please see Mrs. Higgins, Senora Mars, or Senora Corsino.
Click here and look for the Relay for Life section for step-by-step registration instructions.
Congratulations Boomerang Nominees and Winners!
The Boomerang Youth Recognition Award is a district wide program which recognizes and honors youth in our community for exemplifying and living by the chosen asset for each month of the school year. For the month of February the asset was caring. Recognizing a young person who places a high value on helping other people. All nominees were recognized during a special meeting in the library during advisory. We would like to highlight our building winner: Michelle Arellano.
Michelle was described by one of her teachers as “one of the most compassionate students I have ever met.” She deeply cares about those around her and seeks to make their experience more positive. She is a part of the FRIENDS program and goes above and beyond to read with students during SSR on Mondays. She offers her help without hesitation and gives great care to her academic work. Outside of school, she is active in her church, serving the community through many initiatives. On top of all that, Michelle's humility shines through. Her genuine nature is a positive force on anyone who has the pleasure of meeting her.
Congratulations to Michelle and all of the following nominees:
Lulu Berndlmaier, Olivia Bradley, Maddie Buhion, Ben Busick, Andrew DeChiaro, John Dierfield, Lydia Gotschall, Millie Grove, Kim Guerra, Julia Howse, Sofia Llamas, Abigail Magliaro, Marielle Mauri, Sean Mayer, Maddie Mondoil, Liam Petersen, Hailey Reilly, Riley Reteneller, Ryan Rush, Madisson Ronn, Abi Santhirasegaran, Lauren Schimmel, Erin Smith, Jonah Smith, Paige Smithkors, Emma Wenzke, Maddy Wojciechowski
In addition to praising our winners for this month, Cheyenne Torres was presented with a certificate for her District win last month. CB Cares School and Community Outreach Director, Nancy Santacecilia, presented the award for Asset #34 Cultural Competence. We are so proud of Cheyenne!
This Week's Teen Talk
What is Teen Talk? Each week, we will include a resource in our newsletter designed to promote conversations between parents and children regarding important issues related to teenagers. We hope that these resources serve to help parents and students navigate the excitement and challenges associated with the teenage years. In addition, we will highlight topics that we are discussing in Advisory and in presentations so that you may continue the conversation at home with your teen.
This Week's Teen Talk Topic: Promoting Kindness
Dr. Barbara Greenberg wrote this short article with suggestions about how to talk to your teenager about promoting kindness on a regular basis.
What We're Talking About at Tamanend:
Advisory lessons this week included Decision Making and Problem Solving for 7th and 8th Graders, and finishing up blankets for 9th Grade’s Project Linus. Next week, all students will begin preparing for the end of the 3rd Marking Period in Academic Advisory, by setting goals and catching up on missing or unfinished work.
Tamanend Students Take Top Honors at Bucks County Science Research Competition
Congratulations to the following Tamanend students who took home top honors at the Bucks County Science Research Competition held at Delaware Valley University on Tuesday.
- 2nd Place in Botany (6th-8th Grade)
- Dow Chemical Company Award
- 1st Place Botany (9th-10th Grade)
- Mideastern Region PSEA/Council for the Advancement of Public Schools Award
Congratulations, Chemistry Competition Participants!
Congratulations to Aashish C., Tristan P., Thomas C., Max M., Elan R., and Colin S. who qualified for the Bucks County You Be the Chemist regional competition held at Dow Chemical on Saturday, March 9. These students represented Tamanend well as they were tested on their Chemistry knowledge in a rigorous competition. Kudos to our Tamanend future Chemists!
Support CB South's First Annual Color Run!
Gold n' Blues to Perform at March 30 Phillies Game
On Saturday March 30th, Gold’n’Blues will perform the Star Spangled Banner at the Phillies vs. Atlanta Braves game at Citizens Bank Park. Game time is 4:05 pm. If you are interested in attending and would like to get tickets with Gold’n’Blues families, we have a group rate of $12 per ticket. Our seats will be in the 300 section, along the 1st base line. Click here to order a ticket. Orders must be submitted by Friday, March 15th at 12:00 pm.
Celebrate Earth Day and Support Relay for Life!
Do you want to help fundraise for Relay for Life and get a super awesome Earth Day t-shirt? For the low price of $10.00, you can order an Earth Day shirt and $3.00 from your purchase will go directly to Relay for Life. There are two t-shirt color options available in both adult and youth sizes. The shirts do not say Tamanend on them anywhere so ANYONE can get one! There are cinch bags in both colors available for $10.00 as well. All ordering is done directly through the website found at this link. The website will close on March 23rd.
Support the CB District Art Show!
The Art Department is selling this year’s District Art Show shirt! We accept cash, check, or MyPaymentsPlus to make ordering more convenient. If paying by check, please make payable to Central Bucks Art Scholarship Fund. Order forms may be submitted to any Art teacher by April 1.
Reminder--Change to School District Calendar
Athletic Department News
- Congratulations to the 7th grade boys basketball team on a successful season. Congratulations to the 8th grade boys team on a great regular season and their 2nd place finish in the Bucks County League postseason tournament.
- SPRING SPORTS FOR 7th & 8th GRADES BEGIN NEXT WEEK…PLEASE BE SURE ALL PAPERWORK IS TAKEN CARE OF!!
- If you are interested in participating in Spring Sports, there are several specific items (PIAA physical, Family ID, and concussion testing) that need to be completed prior to the start of tryouts which begin on Monday. Those items are outlined and explained on the Tamanend Athletics web page, which can be found HERE, and were explained at the organizational meetings.
- If you tried out/played a Fall/Winter sport, your physical is already on file. Therefore you only need to submit Section 7/Recertification of the PIAA physical.
- If you did not play a Fall/Winter sport, you must submit Sections 5 & 6 of the PIAA physical.
- Students participating in track and haven’t already completed ImPact concussion testing must attend the after-school session on Wednesday, March 20th from 2:30-3:30 in the cafeteria. (This is not an option for students playing other sports as other sports are starting on March 18th.)
FROM CB SOUTH:
- CB South Girls Volleyball open gyms are held Wednesdays in the Aux Gym from 7:00 to 9:00
- CB South Boys Basketball open gyms will be held Mondays 6:30-8:00 and Thursdays from 3:00 to 4:30.
- All open gyms are weather permitted. Announcements will be made for cancellations.
The Tamanend baseball team will begin tryouts next week (3/18). All interested players must sign-up via family ID and have all PIAA paperwork submitted to Mr. Klein (Guidance Office) before the start of tryouts (see above). Please come prepared to hit, field, and throw as well as bring all necessary equipment. The weather forecast is calling for temperature in the mid 40s next week, so please dress warm and in layers. All students trying out are encouraged to drop off their equipment in the team room located in the boys gym locker room prior to the start of the school day. Below is the schedule for next week’s baseball tryouts:
- Monday 3/18: 7th and 8th Grade pitchers and catchers only. Be prepared to practice both indoor and outside on the field.
- Tuesday: 3/19: 8th Grade only. Hitting/Batting practice.
- Wednesday 3/20: 7th Grade only. Hitting/Batting practice.
- Thursday 3/21: 8th Grade only. Infield/Outfield drills
- Friday 3/22: 7th Grade only. Infield/Outfield drills
- No games
- 8th grade boys basketball Tournament vs. Unami (Home; 3:15)
- 8th grade boys basketball Tournament Semi-Finals vs. TBD (@ Holicong; 3:15); bus leaves at 2:40
- 8th grade boys basketball Tournament Finals vs. TBD (@ Holicong; 3:15); bus leaves at 2:40
- Cheerleading competition at home; 2:45
SPRING SPORTS BEGIN ON MONDAY, MARCH 18th
Support "Southside" Autism Awareness
On Tuesday, April 2nd, the CB South Brew Crew will lead the CB South community in celebrating World Autism Awareness Day. Please consider purchasing one of our “Southside” Autism Awareness shirts with a special message on the back! All proceeds (minimum $5 per shirt) will be donated to the Autism Cares Foundation. Click here to place an order. Please email email@example.com with any questions. Thanks in advance for your support! Tamanend orders will be delivered to Tamanend Advisories in late-March.
Reminder--Order Your Copy of the Tamanend Yearbook!
Click here to order your copy of this year's Tamanend yearbook. The cost is $40.
Reminder--Student Assistance Program (SAP)
The Student Assistance Program (SAP) has been established in schools throughout Pennsylvania. SAP Programs provide schools with the means to identify, refer, and support students who are exhibiting behavioral, academic, or attendance issues that put them at risk. Tamanend has a team of dedicated school personnel who are trained to assist students, faculty and family members in identifying problems that impact the student’s ability to function in school. The team can also offer students and their families resources to assist them in alleviating these problems. For more information about the SAP Program, please click here. To complete a SAP referral form for a Tamanend student, please click here.
Reminder--The Next Meeting of the Tamanend Parent Book Club is April 3
Join us for the Tamanend Parent Book Club. This year, we will be reading Raising Kids to Thrive (2015) by Kenneth R. Ginsburg, MD. The book describes "the Lighthouse Parenting Strategy" in which parents balance unconditional love and high expectations with the goal of raising resilient and happy children. This book club will follow a "no-pressure" format in which the facilitator will present a summary of the chapter and open the floor for discussion. We will share resources and ideas with the goal of helping the entire Tamanend parent community navigate the challenges of raising adolescents.
Meetings are held at 6:30 in the Tamanend Library
Click here for further information, dates, and book information.
Please email Dr. Brian Caughie at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in participating.
Reminder--Help with Resources
If you are experiencing a financial hardship, please know that the staff members listed below can help you and your family. We can provide assistance with food, clothing, student fees, internet access, and other issues. Please don't hesitate to contact us:
Brian Caughie, Principal email@example.com
Kyle Dudley, Assistant Principal firstname.lastname@example.org
Lauren Myrtetus, Certified School Nurse email@example.com
Jeff Klein, Guidance Counselor firstname.lastname@example.org
Mandy Cammann, Guidance Counselor email@example.com
Reminder--Grandfamilies Support Group
CB Cares All Stars Take on Harlem Wizards--April 6th
Thursday, March 21st, 9am
1492 Stuckert Road
RSVPs are enabled for this event.
Please Consider Volunteering at Tamanend Middle School
Reminder--Volunteer Required Paperwork
Pennsylvania law requires all persons having direct contact with school children to obtain background checks and clearances. If you are planning on being in a Central Bucks school during the 2018-2019 school year for any reason, you will need to go to Volunteer Required Paperwork, and complete what is needed to obtain your Photo Volunteer ID Card. You will need that ID Card and a photo ID to enter a CB school.
Reminder--Support Tamanend While You Shop
If you use the following vendors, please think about supporting TMS while you shop:
- Giant Food Store has an A+ School Rewards program through their clip-less coupon card that gives money to the school you designate every time you shop. Use this link to select Tamanend as your A+ school after August 15th of the new school year.
- Clip and send in Box Tops to the attention of NJHS.
Share Good News About Tamanend Students
Ways to Stay Connected with Tamanend
Here is a list of ways Tamanend communicates with students, families, and the community:
- Tamanend website: includes important information, resources, calendar of school events, and daily announcements
- Calendar of school events (posted on our website)
- Daily announcements (scrolling on TV screens during school day and posted on our website)
- TV show (weekly, during Advisory period)
- Email blasts from Tamanend administration regarding important news, new procedures, and reminders
- Parent Portal: student information, grades, and attendance
- Tamanend Connections newsletter: useful information, important reminders, and school highlights emailed weekly during school year and posted on Tamanend website
- Twitter: @CBTamanendMS highlights of activities, events, and daily life at Tamanend
- CBSD app: highlights of activities, events, and daily life in Central Bucks
Para nuestras familias hispanohablantes...
¡Bienvenidos a Tamanend! Yo soy Brian Caughie, Director de Tamanend Middle School. Soy hispanohablante. Pasé mucho de mi vida en España. Estoy aquí para apoyarles a todos los estudiantes y familias en Tamanend. Favor de llamarme or escribirme (en inglés o en español) si Ud. tiene cualquier duda o pregunta.
Correo electrónico: firstname.lastname@example.org
Oficina: (267) 893-2900