Evening of Excellence
Class of 2020
- He is very curious about what we are reading, but he goes beyond what is simply in the pages and goes into the historical context. He has an incredible work ethic, and his vocabulary is above those of native speakers that are his age. He enjoys discussing the literature, even outside of class and is always willing to the extra mile when completing work.
- Madi is one of the most talented writers I have ever had the pleasure of working with. She is thoughtful, focused and wrote a narrative (as well as essays) that are so well done, they are publishable. Though she tends to be quiet and a bit of an introvert, when she does speak up, everyone stops to listen because she does not speak without very carefully thinking out what she wants to say. She is a model student and is planning to take AP Lit next year to further her skills in English.
Tonight I would like to recognize Lily Cervantes and Rene Serrano-Pacheco as Outstanding AVID students. Both are determined young adults who seek the best in themselves and in others and truly want to be involved in the world around them. They seek academic rigor by taking Honors and Advanced Placement classes and are often seen as part of study groups around campus working with others to understand their homework. Lily thrives in her interactions with others, often volunteering at our elementary schools. She is also one of three student representatives to the Mount Vernon School Board. When Rene is not studying (or laughing), he can be found on the soccer field. These two genuinely love people, love learning, and love life. It is a pleasure to present them with this award tonight.
- It is rare that a student moves from French 2 as a sophomore to French AP as a junior, but Lily Zavala was determined to continue studying French as a third language. Her strong efforts, academic and global curiosity, and knowledge of two other languages have supported her this year with AP-level reading, writing, listening, and speaking. With each new challenge she persevered on her own progress while supporting others her classmates. Lily's engagement in our global and local topics remind us that the next generation of leaders will be multi-lingual, thoughtful, caring members of our society. We congratulate Lily for her continued success in Francophone cultures and language.
- Erin Nielson demonstrates a unique drive to further her global education. She participates in French club, supports her French 3 classmates, and pushes her own level of French beyond the class target goals. She expands her skills in French in choir and in her personal life. Erin provides a reassuring presence in class. She leads with determination, grit, and humor. Her insight and respect for other cultures reminds us that we are a global community working towards a common mission. I sincerely appreciate Erin's outlook on her future as a multilingual learner and leader. Her caring and open heart serve as role model for her peers. Bravo, Erin!
Heritage Spanish Language
María Pérez Kuniga -
- It has been a pleasure to work with María in A.P. Spanish this year. She carries herself professionally and consistently seeks a deeper understanding of the language and to broaden her academic vocabulary. María is a conscientious student who seeks to go above and beyond the minimum required of each task in order to showcase her academic growth. She does not shy away from asking questions if she needs clarification, and is often a voice for many of her peers. Not only is she an accomplished scholar, but also an exemplary young adult who treats her peers with compassion and who gives generously of her time and understanding.
Elizabeth (aka "Rosa") Mentel -
- It has been my privilege to teach "Rosa" for two years. She is truly one of those outstanding students who garners honors in all of her endeavors, and her organizational skills are unparalleled. In Spanish, she is detail-oriented with the language but doesn't allow her need for accuracy to curb her communication. She willingly takes risks to express herself at a higher level, which is one of the most important steps in advancing in one's language acquisition. Her comprehension skills and vocabulary are superb. "Rosa" possesses an intellectual curiosity and awareness that is beyond that of many peers her age. She is also an empathetic classmate who seeks to listen and truly understand others' points of view.
Thor (aka "Francisco") Floyd -
- First, I must acknowledge that I am absolutely floored by the amount of Spanish that "Francisco" has acquired in only three short years! "Francisco" is one of a very few students in Spanish III who seek to use exclusively Spanish at all times--even when trying to ask a question for clarification! I feel privileged to be witnessing all of "Francisco's" effort really begin to come to fruition this year. I remember that it wasn't always easy for "Francisco" in Spanish I, but this year his progress and knowledge has been amazing to observe. He has a tremendous vocabulary and isn't afraid to take risks in order to be able to communicate. "Francisco" also has one of the warmest hearts of all of my students. He always has a kind word or a congratulatory high-five for his peers, and he treats them with the utmost respect and sincerity. "Francisco" truly tiene un corazón de oro.
- Cindy comes to class with a passion to learn and truly understand underlying concepts. She asks intelligent questions, offers thought provoking insights, and encourages involvement of other students in her classroom community. She is compassionate, kind, and sincere.
- Victor is a steady presence in his science classes. He puts in the time and effort necessary to succeed in the most difficult classes, and consistently shows up, in body and mind, for the class activities. He is a mature learner and student, and a pleasure to teach.
- Joey has a natural inquisitiveness that drives his interest in science. He is an exceptional student whose work is marked by his experimenation with the world around him. For Joey, experimentation is fun, and always directed toward understanding the meaning that underlies the concept being explored.
- Luke goes above and beyond all of my expectations whether during discussion, group work, or evaluations. He is an incredibly dedicated student.
- Yazmin is a consistently hard worker, enjoys Science, has a positive attitude, & takes joy in learning. She makes Science fun!
- Gil del Muro-Gonzalez likes Geometry and enjoys solving problems. He's a quiet positive role model who uses time productively. He is an awesome student who is willing to help others.
- Lea is a very responsible student that works hard to understand, even if it takes her a few attempts. She is learning to have more confidence as her math ability continues to grow. Lea shows grit and determination.
- I’ve had the pleasure of teaching both these students in multiple social studies classes this year. Arabella has taken 5 Social Studies classes this year, & 5 art & acting classes. Although I know her heart belongs to the art world (with evidence of her artistic ability still hanging in my room), I know her good heart, sound reasoning, and amazing intellect comes from social studies though. Arabella has a quiet strength, and is always a positive and influential leader.
- Zion has taken 6 Social Studies classes this year. He challenges me (in positive ways) as a teacher, he has added to my lessons with examples he’s researched, and pushes students around him to not only be better, but be comfortable being themselves.
Both of these students have made our department better, and have pushed us as teachers. You’re amazing people and will go on to do amazing things in this community. I’m glad to have worked with you this year, and I look forward to seeing what you accomplish your final year at MVHS.
Career and Technical Education
- Hard working, conscientious individual that is willing to help others
- Rosey is an amazingly talented and dedicated student. She's always willing to put in the effort and try new things.
- Olivia is in my second year of sports medicine. Her work in the classroom is of high quality and she also does a great job during practical applications. She has competed in the state sports medicine competition for two years and is one of our club representative to the WCTSMA. I look forward to her leadership as she plans to take a third year of sports medicine. She does need to work on her bowling skills.
- Maddie is in her second year of sports medicine and was our top finisher at our recent state sports medicine competition. She also was one of the top ten finishers in speed taping. I look forward to having Maddie for a third year in sports medicine where we will be focusing on her leadership skills.
- Ruben is my most improved junior student. Ask Ruben to do something he does it. He shows up on time, if not he is early. He expresses gratitude in his education and is a very humble person. Get him alone, he will talk your ear off. Just kidding! Ruben is quiet but don't let the fool you, he is taking everything in.
Business and Marketing
- Yuva Belarbia is the dark horse in my opinion. He can be quiet and reserved, but then he can be the most giving person. If he sees anyone struggling or needing any sort of assistance, Yuva is one of the first to volunteer. Even while doing Running Start full time, he made time to contribute to the high school and help make FBLA an inclusive group for everyone.
- Renad Alsilimy has been a member of FBLA for three years now. She has been the chapter president this last year and has managed to meet, if not exceed, my expectations on nearly every occasion. I am so proud of the work that she has accomplished and her ability to help others succeed and develop their personal leadership skills.
Family and Consumer Sciences
- Alice could run our preschool with my help. She is extremely passionate about Early Childhood Education and has taken every class offered that allows her to work with young children (some even twice). She is on her way to becoming an amazing Preschool teacher!
- Elliot has show a passion for Family and Consumer Sciences and has taken nearly every course our department has to offer. Whether it’s in Family Systems, Child Development, or Creative Foods, Elliot shows up ready to learn and is always positive, reliable, and hard working.
- Hannah is a self motivated learner and has excelled at 3D computer design. She’s creative, SMART, and capable. When she wants to make something happen, she figures out how to get it done. She’s also next year’s president of the SkillsUSA Makers Club and shows great leadership!
- Steven has shown time and time again willingness to go above and beyond what is required of him. His leadership in the classroom has helped inspire other students to actively seek out learning opportunities. Congratulations!
- Eleanore Wells has spent her junior year committed to providing her own flavor of journalistic ambition towards her stories for MVHStv. Her level of quality and dedication to meeting her deadlines clearly established her as our top choice for this award.
- Jose Dominguez-Gama has spent the last year tackling any challenge that MVHS and Skagina could throw at him. As one of the two driving forces behind all the live streams, Jose has brought a whole new level of accessibility of viewing high school sports to the Bulldog Community.
American Sign Language
- In the two years I’ve had Daisy in ASL she has only turned in the highest quality of work. If we have group projects, she is that student that everyone hopes to have in their group. A true leader.
- I’ve had Joey and his skateboard for two years in ASL. He comes to class ready and willing to do even the smallest and most painful of assignments, and ready to encourage others in group work.
- Juan is a determined and dedicated worker in the weight room. His dedication is shown in his consistent attendance, work ethic, and desire to enhance his abilities. His determination is shown in his constant pushing of his own limits to try and increase his fitness levels. Juan is a quiet worker who tries his best to complete all of his work and do his best in doing it. Because of his constant desire to be better he has been chosen as our PE student of the year.
Ruben is a very hardworking in both the classroom and in extracurricular activities. Ruben is always striving do his best while encouraging those around him. Ruben is on the MVHS soccer team and has a goal to become a physical therapist. Ruben has a great sense of humor and is a polite and respectful. Congratulations Ruben!
Adela displays many traits that make me proud to be her teacher. Adela is a very responsible and motivated student who always treats those around her with respect and compassion. She comes to class prepared and works hard to meet expectations of all classes. Adela enjoys working with animals and has a goal to become a Veterinary Assistant. Congratulations Adela!
Principal Award and Bulldog Strong
As a campus this year, we have collectively worked to honor students who demonstrate the “Bulldog Way”
These characteristics include
Grit and Determination
Compassion and Respect
Honesty and Authenticity
Engagement and Learning
These four young women embody these qualities and more
Kiola Kinere is a member of the AVID and MVHS family. Kiola consistently demonstrates grace under pressure. She works hard in her classes and perseveres when things are challenging. I have yet to see her on campus without a smile on her face and a kind word to share with a peer. Kiola is biliterate in Marshallese and English and is pursuing challenging classes in the Career and Technical Education Field.
Kennedy McKinnon is a member of the AVID and MVHS family. She inspires those around her both inside the classroom as well as outside of it with her courage, determination and heart. Kennedy has challenged herself in AP classes, Spanish Language Interpretation and Translation as well as being a fierce competitor on the soccer field.
Arabella Anderson – Compassionate, calm and deeply involved in MVHS – Arabella demonstrates the Bulldog Way in her art, studies and friendship. She has recently joined our campus, but has made a significant impact in the time she has been here.
Evelyn Castorena-Mendoza is a member of the AVID and MVHS family. She balances work and studies, taking rigorous classes such as Pre Calculus and Physics. She is known for her dedication to her studies and rising to high expectations (her own and those of her teachers).
Honor Roll Awardees
These students have earned and maintained a 3.2 GPA or higher throughout the last 5 semesters at Mount Vernon High School
DA SILVA, ROSEY
HINDERSTEIN, JOHN JOSEPH
HUGHES, ANNE MARIE
ORDEN, CHARISSE JULIANNE
PUSATERI, LUKE ANTHONY
SKILLMAN, RANDAL, JR