HMS Dragon Newsletter 2015
December 3rd - January 15th
Upcoming Events at Halstead Middle School
What is Going on at HMS?
- Dec. 3rd - Basketball @ Smoky Valley 4:30
- Dec. 7th - Basketball @ Pratt 4:30
- Dec. 10th - Basketball @ Hoisington 4:30
- Dec. 14th - Basketball @ Home vs. Hillsboro 4:30
- Dec. 14th - Little Dragons Preschool Christmas Program 7:00 @ High School
- Dec. 16th - Geography Bee 9:00 a.m.
- Dec. 16th - Fundraiser Party
- Dec. 17th - Basketball @ Haven 4:30
- Dec. 18th - End of 2nd Quarter
- Dec. 18th - 5th-8th Grade Winter Band/Choral Concert 7:00 p.m
- Dec. 21st - Basketball @ Home vs. Sterling 4:30
- Winter Break - Dec. 21st - Jan. 1st
- Jan. 2nd - Begin 2nd Semester
- Jan. 7th - Basketball @ Hesston 4:30
- Jan. 9th - 7th Grade Basketball Tourney @ Halstead
- Jan. 11th - Basketball @ Home vs. Smoky Valley 4:30
- Jan. 13th - School Spelling Bee
- Jan. 14th - Basketball @ Home vs. Pratt 4:30
- Jan. 18th - No School - Professional Development Day
- Jan. 18th - 8th Grade Basketball Tourney - TBA
The junior high students had their Dragon Party on October 14th. One room available was the Reading Lounge, where students enjoyed a hot drink bar and 2 1/2 hours of uninterrupted reading time.
Check out these fun "Rap Battle" videos by our 4th graders!
What a Fun Spirit Week!
Trip to the Public Library
In Mrs. Carr's class, students have been learning about how the brain works when they read. Students chose books at the public library that were used in class later that week. The books helped them work on the questioning part of the brain. The librarian gave them a tour of the library and discussed the different services they offer. Some students brought library cards with them, and others went back later that week to get their own cards!
Banned Books Week
In October, Mrs. Roseberry had the 7th & 8th grade reading students celebrate the freedom to read! She organized activities related to the American Library Association's Banned Books Week. Here are some fun photos!
Spotted in the HMS Hallways...
Kathy always writes fun messages on her chalkboard, but we were so excited to see her festive door when we came back after Thanksgiving break!
"Caught ya being a STAR" board in the hallway - by the 6th grade team
We love these fun Thanksgiving stories!
Congrats to our 2015 CKL 7th Grade Football & Volleyball Champs!
Mrs. Watkins, HHS English teacher, brought her sophomores over to read to some of our preschool students. They read books they had written and illustrated themselves.
Dragon Start & Little Dragons Dressed Up for Halloween!
Thank you for supporting our MONSTER BOOK FAIR!
The 4th and 5th grade "Book Fair Crew" did a fantastic job of decorating and organizing our first book fair of the year. A huge THANK YOU to everyone for your support! We were able to purchase many books for classroom libraries!
Here are some fun videos by the CREW...
Monster Book Fair Take 2
STUCO Service Project - Kansas Food Bank
Our 7th & 8th grade STUCO students have been volunteering their time at the Kansas Food Bank. Our STUCO kids helped fill zip-bags of food for Kansas Food Bank's Food-4-Kids backpack program.
This is one of the groups of 7th & 8th graders at the Food Bank.
DON'T FORGET - Our school is still collecting box tops!
6th Grade Field Trip to the Cosmosphere & Hutchinson Zoo
8th Grade Science
The 8th graders are finding the acceleration of a pulley on a zip line in science class.
4th Grade Square Number Skyscrapers
HMS Veteran's Day Assembly Honored Local Veterans
6th GRADE IS RECYCLING & COLLECTING POP TABS! Check out this video to find out more!
Ronald Mcdonald House Final
Star 5th & 6th Graders - Helping the Cause
Basketball Season is Going Strong!
Girls' Basketball - Head Coach Curtis Vermillion
"We have seen improvement already as the season has begun. We entered the Thanksgiving Break with a record of 7 wins and 8 losses combined in the 7th, 8th, and C games. The girls are working hard. Our goal is to continue to get better."
Boys' Basketball Head Coach - Donovan Regehr
"The Halstead Middle School boys have been working hard this year and improving both individually and as a team. Hard work is Rule #1 for Dragon Basketball, followed by Rule #2: Have fun, and Rule #3: No Excuses. Coach Thomas and I are looking forward to a great season working with these 28 athletes."