5th Grade News
Week of May 2, 2016
- STAAR testing is next week in grades 3-5. Please remember that no visitors are allowed in the building on Monday, Tuesday, or Wednesday of next week (this includes library volunteers since the library will be used for testing).
- There is a parent meeting at Haggard Middle School (in the cafeteria) on Wednesday, May 18 6:15 p.m.
Curriculum This Week
Story: "A Dream Comes True"
- Understand the meaning of "propaganda"
- Identify types of propaganda (forms of persuasion)
- Locate examples of propaganda in advertising
- Create an advertisement and identify the type of propaganda used
- Graph positive and negative numbers on a coordinate grid
- Graph equations (with positive and negative numbers)
- Explain how weathering, erosion, and deposition contribute to changing landforms
- Plan and carry out a method for separating solutions and mixtures
SCIENCE STAAR MAY 11
- Explain how the Westward Expansion helped form the United States
What's on the Calendar?
9 Math STAAR Retest
10 Reading STAAR Retest
11 Science STAAR
5th Grade party at "Jump Street" 6:00 - 8:00 p.m.
18 Parent meeting at Haggard Middle School 6:15 p.m.
19 Haggard Field Trip (tour of school)
12-26 MAP Testing
27 No School (Teacher Work Day) (or a snow make-up day)
30 No School (Memorial Day)
2 Class Party (9:30 - 10:30)
Graduation (6:30 - 9:00 p.m.)
3 LAST DAY OF SCHOOL
8:00 - 9:00 Spirit Assembly
12: 00 EARLY RELEASE
Just a Few Reminders for Graduation
5th Grade Graduation
Thursday, June 2
6:30 - 9:00 p.m.
6:30 - 7:00 Graduation program
7:00 - 9:00 Graduation party (5th graders only)
Boys are to wear slacks/khakis and a collared shirt (no shorts, no jeans, and no t-shirts).
Girls are to wear a skirt or dress that meets school dress code. Straps must be at least three fingers-wide. Lengths must be fingertip or longer. Slacks for girls are also acceptable.
Click to see 5th grade's Instagram pictures. Follow us on Instagram. Since our account is private, be sure to send an email to your child's homeroom teacher notifying her of your Instagram username.