Franklin D. Rooselvelt
And The Great Depression By: Zain Fazalbhai
What he did for the country:
Franklin D. Roosevelt did one main thing that saved America in many ways and that was the new deal. The new deal was a program that many people say provided the three r's, relief, recovery, and reform. America got out of the depression mostly because of the new deal.
Five facts about The Great Depression:
- The Empire State building, the Chrysler building, the Golden Gate Bridge and Rockefeller Center were all built as part of depression-era worker relief programs.
- Three towns were created from scratch during the New Deal. Greendale, Wisconsin, Greenhills, Ohio and Greenbelt, Maryland were created during work relief programs. All the towns still exist today
- The Great Depression peaked between 1932 and 1933.
- Because the circulation of money was so low, the U.S. didn't mint nickels in 1932 or 1933.
- By 1940, 2.5 million people had fled the Great Plains. Roughly 200,000 moved to California.
Two key figures and their roles:
- Two key figures during this time period were Franklin D. Roosevelt and Mary M. Bethune.
- Franklin D Roosevelt- During this time period he was the president.He also helped support other countries that were in world war II. some countries included China, France, and other countries.
- Mary M. Bethune- During the depression Mary was one of the greatest educators in the United States. She was also a big leader to many African American women. Another field she had a lot of influence in was politics. During the depression, Franklin D. Roosevelt took a lot of advice from her.
What exactly was The Great Derpression
The Great Depression was a time of economic trouble and sorrow for America ( And most of the industrialized world). It began in 1929 and lasted to till about 1939. Places rich and poor were hit by its devastating effects. The start of the depression can be traced back to the U.S. stock market crash in October 29, 1929. When historians talk about this crash the refer to it as black Tuesday.
What they called the day when the stock market crashed (October 29, 1929)
Government propose The New Deal
Two ways it affected Texas
- During the depression the price of cotton had dropped to less than a nickle for a pound. More than 350,000 Texans were out of work.
- Before Black Tuesday ever happened everyone in Texas had one thought... COTTON IS KING, but after the disaster on Wall Street the economy of Texas was diversified. Oil became the new boom and cotton became the new bust. Because of the depression we now have a more diversified economy of things such as, irrigation,farming(cotton), lumber, oil, and many more
The Great Depression: Crash Course US History #33
Why I choose this subject
There are two main reasons i choose Franklin D. Roosevelt and the depression, and that is because Franklin D. Roosevelt is my favorite president. I think that he was a great leader and he had a plan, and took action on it. The second reason i choose this is because The Great Depression was a hard time that American adapted to and got out of. I think that many people can learn a lesson based on the people and struggles of this time period.