Colts Express News
January 7, 2019
- Welcome Back!: Happy New Year! It was exciting to see everyone back today after the two week holiday break. We hope everyone enjoyed the holidays!
- One School, One Book: We will kick off our 4th annual "One School, One Book" event at a student assembly Thursday morning on January 17. Each family will receive their book and reading schedule that afternoon. We can’t wait for another fun year!
- Literacy Night: We will have a literacy night on February 5 to conclude "One School, One Book" from 5:45-8:00 pm. Literacy night will include a presentation from author Floyd Cooper, along with a book fair, gallery walk of students’ writing, and a scavenger hunt around the school. A pizza dinner will be offered. More information will come home in a flyer soon. We look forward to having our families attend this exciting event!
- Morning Drop-Off: Parents, I am sharing this again as a reminder of our request for your help with our morning drop-off procedures. We have seen an increase in the number of parents parking in the far parking lot by the soccer fields, walking across traffic, and taking their kids to the sidewalk. Each time this occurs it stops and slows down the line two times as parents walk back and forth across traffic. This also has caused some close calls with accidents with cars trying to hurry to park and back up into the line of traffic. To help move the car rider line more efficiently and for safety, please stay in the car rider line and have your child ready to exit the vehicle on the right side as your car comes to a compete stop along the side walk. Thank you for your help as we try move many cars safely and efficiently through our car line each day!
- Recess and Colder Weather: We are in the middle of our colder winter months. Our students do go outside for recess unless the "Feels Like" temperature is below 33. Please make sure your child has the proper clothing to keep them warm.
- Information on the Foundation of Fort Mill Schools: The Foundation for Fort Mill Schools is an essential resource for connecting students, teachers, and the community in the Fort Mill School District. The Foundation promotes academic excellence through direct financial support of projects, activities, education assistance and professional development. To date, over $50,000 in innovative classroom projects, professional development and technology opportunities have been funded and over $70,000 has been awarded in college scholarships. Through charitable events (TEC Dowling Memorial Golf Tournament and the Chili Cookoff) and community partnerships, the Foundation funds grants, scholarships, and the Classroom Ready initiative which provides students and teachers with much needed supplies. In short, this is an organization that has a direct, positive impact on our Fort Mill School District students, parents, and staff.
Upcoming Important Dates
- January 9: PTA Meeting in the Cafeteria at 7:45 am
- January 11: School Spirit Day and Blue Pops; PTA Spirit Night at Chuck E Cheese
- January 17: "One School, One Book" Kick-Off
- January 18: Weather Make-Up day - School will now be in session.
- January 23: Spirit Night at Panera in Kingsley 4-8 pm
- January 25: Box Tops are due
- January 26: Chili Cook-Off Sponsored by the Foundation of Fort Mill School at NFHS from 11-1
- February 5: Literacy Night 5:45-8:00 pm
Springfield Elementary School
Click on the SES button to be redirected to our school website for additional information.