October 2nd-October 6th
Message from Mission Control
* Shout out to everyone for being diligent about getting Elk of the Month forms to Lilly and on time! We should hopefully have those hung in the hallway today! Thanks for being so prompt!!
* Shout out to all the teachers for doing a great job taking attendance on time each day! We appreciate it so much, and even on the days where you may get busy and forget, we appreciate your promptness when Christine calls to friendly remind you to enter it as soon as you can! Thanks so much!!
* We have a staff meeting this afternoon (Monday). Paras do not have to attend, but you are welcome to stay if you choose. Teachers, please bring examples of your data binders and be ready to discuss how you track individual student data in your classroom/grade level. Each teacher should bring an example (self-contained AND departmentalized).
* PDSA boards should start being utilized this week. Discuss the goals with your students, and start tying this to your instruction. Your student individual data binders should correlate with your classroom goals posted on your PDSA board- but the student binders will be more specific for the individual student. Remember, in K-2, the boards can focus on reading. In 3-5, the boards should focus on your subject area.
* The grading "audit" that I conduct each 3 weeks will begin this week. I have a form where I list the 5 teachers I audit and if the grades are entered appropriately and timely according to the grading policy handbook. I must do this each 3 weeks, and I submit my findings. Each 3 weeks, it will be 5 different teachers. As you can imagine, with only having 2-5 as the grade levels who enter grades, and only having 11 teachers within those grade levels, my 5 "random" teachers will be pretty repetitive.
* Please make sure you are not counting students tardy UNLESS they have a slip from the office. Often, we hold them in the office if they walk in just at the bell. Or, they may be coming from the cafeteria and went over while eating breakfast. If students are being consistently late to class, please make sure you're reaching out to the parents and letting them know they are missed and we really would like them here on time in order to participate in all of our activities. When Christine calls from the office, she's automatically the "bad guy." We want to make sure that teachers are establishing that relationship with the parents and letting them know we miss them. If you have called, and you have documented in Aware, and we are still having an issue, then Christine, Bobby, or myself will call! You should be the first person to call to establish that relationship.
* Our coin drive is continuing this week! Please remind students to bring in any spare change that we can donate to San Jacinto Elementary.
* Our attendance incentive starts over today! Since attendance is measured by the six weeks, please encourage your students to arrive on time and not miss school unless they're sick! The winner of the highest attendance award for last 6 weeks was Mrs. Stowe's class with 99% average! That class has earned a popcorn party!! Our yearly goal is 97%, and I think we were still around the 96.3% range for last six weeks!! We want to get that bumped up, as that can help contribute to earning more distinctions after STAAR results come out! Attendance also plays a huge factor into funding, so we would like our average to be consistently high, so we can receive more funding for our students!
* Book studies begin today. Please be looking for information to come from your book study leaders to let you know what reading will take place and how your book studies will be run in order to be most effective! I think all 3 books will be very well received, and they are all very easy and interesting reads!
* Next Monday and Tuesday are student holidays and staff development days. On Monday, you all will be at district training at various locations around the district. If you have not gotten the schedule of where your specific content area will be, you should be receiving that this week. Tuesday, we will be on campus with PD here, and Amy will be providing the CPR certification class at 1:00 that afternoon. I will be sending information on our campus plan for that morning later this week.
* Thank you for your flexibility in having to change the date for the Vertical ELAR and Math council meetings. That new date is November 1st, and you should have received a calendar invite (update). Please make sure to get with Laura to get your sub scheduled (ELAR is in the morning, and Math is in the afternoon).
* Our Campus Improvement Plan has been submitted. We will have our first CPAC meeting, to go over the CIP, on Tuesday afternoon, October 10th. . The members of CPAC are the team leaders, myself, Bobby, Tammie, Evelyn, Ashley, and Courtney. If you are one of these people and you have signed up for the CPR training, you can send another grade level representative in your place. We will meet at 2:00 pm on Tuesday, October 10th. We will meet in the conference room.
* Shannon sent an email last week with the sign up list for our Fall Fest on October 19th. With how small we are, we need as many people to help out as possible! Paras, you can get comp time for this! Thanks so much!!
This year, we will be implementing our GE life principles during announcements, as well as having the opportunity for kids to respond using the white interactive papers in the hallway (formerly used for vocabulary).
Each life principle will be talked about during a 1 week period. You will be getting the schedule sent this week, and it will also be posted on the One Note staff portal. We will discuss on announcements, and students will have the opportunity to write (or draw) how they show this life principle. For example, the first one is self discipline. They can write on the paper how they show or can use self discipline. This will require thinking and application... so it brings in the higher levels. We will talk about the expectations of how this will be used on the announcements, so the students are familiar with what is acceptable.
Just as the vocabulary has been done in the past, the life principles will remain posted on the wall, so that the students can see them and refer back to them. The Elk of the Month will be chosen based on the life principles that have been discussed for the month. Each student chosen will not have to demonstrate ALL of the life principles, but one or more.
This week, our life principle is:
Problem Solving- creating solutions; finding answers
DATES TO REMEMBER
Monday, October 2nd:
Grades Due @ 8:00
Staff Meeting- 3:00 pm
Book Study Begins!
Tuesday, October 3rd:
Progress Reports Home
Thursday, October 5th:
Kori off campus at meeting
Monday, October 9th:
Elementary district staff development (student holiday)
Tuesday, October 10th:
Professional Development on campus in AM
CPR Certification class & CPAC meeting in PM
Thursday, October 12th:
Kori off campus at meeting
Friday, October 13th:
Fire Truck Visit (K-2) 9:00-11:00
Thursday, October 19th:
PTA Fall Festival 5:30-8:00 PM (volunteers needed)
Red Ribbon Week!
Thursday, October 26th:
Kori off campus in AM for Principal Meeting
Bobby off campus in PM for AP meeting
2nd Grade Field Trip- Zoo
Friday, October 27th:
Kick off assembly for PTA Big Kahuna Fundraiser @ 8:00 am
Clubs Today (follow Clubs schedule)