What's up in 2D!
Weekly happenings in the life of a second grader
February 14th- Class Valentine's Party
February 14th- 1st and 2nd Grade Clusters Begin
February 17th- No School for Students! Staff Work Day
February 21st- 6 Flags Reading Forms Due
2. We will not laugh at or make fun of a person's mistakes nor use sarcasm or put downs!
3. We will use good manners saying, "please," "thank you," and "excuse me," and allow others to go first.
4. We will cheer each other to SUCCESS!
5. We will help one another whenever possible!
6. We will recognize every effort and applaud it!
7. We will encourage each other to do our best!
8. We will practice virtuous living using the life principles!
The Life Principles
2. Effort -doing one's best in an endeavor. Ask your learner if they are giving their best effort at school!
3. Compassion: ability to share another's feelings or ideas.
4. Respect - paying proper attention or showing consideration to others.
5. Common Sense- thinking before acting, using good judgement.
6. Self- Discipline- the ability to choose and control one's own actions.
7. Friendship- caring for and trusting others
8. Problem Solving- creating solutions or finding answers to a problem.
9. Forgiveness- act of forgiving for an offense; pardoning
10. Justice- being fair and upholding what is right
You are a genius and the world needs your contribution!
Here's what we need to KNOW!
Math: For the second nine weeks we will begin a unit on measure! Students have already spent some time exploring different units of measure, standard and metric. They are anxious to get their rulers out and begin.
We will continue to sharpen our skills in addition, subtraction and multiplication as the year continues.
GTI students will be completing their passion projects that they started at the beginning of the year. They will be making appointments to share with the class what they have learned.
Here are some good websites to try at home for math skills.
Addition math fact fluency - http://www.learninggamesforkids.com/math_addition_games.html
Subtraction math fact fluency - http://www.learninggamesforkids.com/math_subtraction_games.htmlMultiplication math fact fluency - http://www.learninggamesforkids.com/math_multiplication_games.htm
Science: I was wrong last week about our study of plants. We will save that for the last nine weeks. This time around we will be focusing on the study of weather. The weather disaster books have been a big hit in my classroom this year so I know this will be a hot topic among students.
Language Arts: We are wrapping up our middle of the year testing for language arts. Students will be taking their MAP test, the online assessment, soon. This will give us more information on the growth of each individual student as well as goals for improvement.
This week in writing we are going back to narrative writing. Students should be using capitals and punctuation marks consistently. In the coming weeks, we will learn how to use sensory language seamlessly in a narrative piece.
You may have noticed a piece of paper come home on Friday that said "spelling words". This is a new strategy we have put into practice in our class. Each week we will review a spelling pattern. This week the patterns are 'igh' and 'ou'. We will work with each pattern throughout the week and Friday I will ask students to spell words containing that pattern. The activity on Friday is only practice and will not be part of a grade.
GTI students will continue their book clubs and begin a product to show their learning throughout the book. Students will also be working on their Passion Project during this time.
Social Studies: There are lots of bases to cover in social studies this nine weeks. So the topics may seem scattered and varied.
This week we are reviewing Texas symbols. They should be familiar with this as first grade spends a great deal of time on it. We will move rather quickly through this topic. We will end the week with a mind mission on Paul Revere. Who was he and why was he important to American History?