White Rock Elementary
Principal Update - 1/5/2016
Welcome to 2016
We have many exciting things happening this spring! Let me highlight a few of them:
- We have a new iMac lab! It has 22 iMac desktops and 8 MacBook Air.
- We will be getting a 70 inch interactive VS flat panel TV installed this month. This will allow staff and students the option to enhance and enrich learning in an open collaborative interactive learning space.
- Our counselors will be honored and recognized for being recipients of the CREST Award.
- Ron Crawford will complete his final round for the STARS Teacher Award.
- Valentine's Parties are right around the corner.
These are just a couple of highlights. I am thankful I get to work at a campus that has outstanding staff, supportive parents, and an awesome community! Thank you for all you do to make WRE the best school in RISD!
Student and Teacher Holiday
Cold Weather Protocol
Texas weather never ceases to amaze me. As cold weather heads this way, please be sure to send your child to school with a jacket so that they may go outside at recess time, PE time and Walk & Talk. The following information is part of the guidelines we follow during cold weather situations. Our key degree factor for cold weather is 36* Fahrenheit.
During times of excessive cold weather, the following precautions will be taken for all outdoor physical activity including, but not limited to: recess, physical education classes, walk and talk, and/or outdoor field trips.
· Teachers and coaching staffs should be aware of the wind chill factor and take appropriate precautions during cold weather.
· If a student does not have adequate warm clothing to participate in the outdoor activity, such clothing should be provided or the student excused from the activity.
· Students should not have recess or Physical Education classes outside when temperature or wind chill factor drops below 36 degrees.
· On days when the temperature is unseasonably cold, outside recess should be restricted to no more than 15 minutes.
Guidelines for determining cold weather conditions:
Temperature and humidity data may be obtained from
- http://www.weather.com. Details specific to the school should be accessed as follows: Enter school zip code; select “hour-by-hour” tab (it is suggested that the site be bookmarked at this point for easy daily access); the lowest estimated temperature and the “feels like temperature” (wind chill) during school hours should be used.
- The National Weather Bureau will provide local forecast and advisories.
Call - 817-429-2631, and then dial 511.
Weather Notification in RISD
Safety of our students and staff is a priority if bad weather is predicted or occurs during the school day. Several RISD departments (transportation, facilities, grounds) stand ready to assess the condition of the roads and school facilities should ice and/or snow make travel to or from RISD schools hazardous. Based on their assessment of the road conditions and consultation with surrounding districts, RISD's Superintendent will determine if schools in Richardson ISD will be delayed or closed for the safety of students and staff.
In the event of inclement weather that may require classes be delayed or cancelled, parents and employees will be notified by telephone message before 6:30 a.m.
In addition, patrons can call the district's inclement weather line at 469-593-SNOW, check the RISD homepage at risd.org, the district Facebook page at facebook.com/richardsonisd or the district Twitter feed at twitter.com/richardsonisd. The district also notifies local media outlets of closures or delays.
Parents, employees and students should assume a normal school day unless a telephone message is received or the RISD website or SNOW line indicates closure or delay.