December 20, 2019
Welcome from the Math Department. We are excited to have your students in our classes learning to think and communicate mathematically! We have our most enjoyable times working with students at the white boards around the room as they process difficult problems together.
Are you wondering what your students could do over Winter Break to keep their brains engaged? Here are some ideas:
- Go to Instragram: bhs_math_team and try the puzzles
- Khanacademy (videos and practice for ANY math topic)
- Puzzle books
- https://www.hoodamath.com/games/highschool.html (a list of online math puzzles/games)
- http://www.cut-the-knot.org/ (a resource for math puzzles)
- Board games and card games (from your closet)
- Holiday Baking (half recipes or 1.5x recipes are great for math!)
- Sudoku (classic logic game)
We look forward to seeing your kids next decade!
Bellingham Math Department
Bellingham Leads 2A WIAA Scholastic Cup Competition!
Top Titles of the Decade (2010-2019) @ the BHS Library
How many have your students read?
Check out the list, then check out the books at the BHS Library.
Keep on reading (in the New Year),
Tech TidbiT: There are many Available applications and Programs Please do not install programs from non-approved sources.
Programs and applications for teachers and students are only available in our "Software Center" and in the "Microsoft Store".
We have a variety of programs for students to install and our catalog continues to grow. If a student or teacher has a need for new programs, they can request these programs and our district technicians have been responsive in providing it. Get started in the library with the new resource request process.
PLEASE DO NOT INSTALL PROGRAMS FROM OTHER SOURCES:
The Responsible Use Policy that students and families sign when receiving school issued computers requires students to only use our sources for applications and programs. We have had a few circumstances where students have installed programs from non-approved sources (such as from friends, or websites) and have accidentally installed a virus on their machines (which causes significant work for our technicians and Admin team). Also, many of these non-approved programs are not used for academics and are often distractions.
Thank you for being thoughtful digital citizens!
Our Prevention/Intervention specialist Jeff McKenna is currently on medical leave. We wish him a speedy recovery! In the interim, we are so grateful for assistance from his colleagues from SHS and SQHS. Below is a message from these two individuals:
Greetings from your substitute Prevention Intervention Specialists, Meghan Lever (regularly at SHS) and Kathie Peterson (regularly at SQHS). We will be expanding our horizons to get to know our Raider family while Jeff McKenna is out of the office. Our current plan is to each be here one day a week to get to know what kind of support BHS would benefit from and address the needs of the students as it relates to healthy lifestyle and behavior choices. Please keep us in mind as resources for students, staff and families and let us know in what ways we can be a part of the Raider community.
Location: Jeff McKenna’s office
Thursdays – Kathie Peterson
Fridays – Meghan Lever
Tree at Whatcom Museum showcasing ornaments made by BHS students.
Career and Community Events
Seniors: A message from Ms. Kelly in the Career Center
Spend some time over winter break on Scholarships and Financial Aid.
1. If you haven’t done so already submit your FAFSA. www.FAFSA.gov
2. Check out the Bellingham High School’s scholarship bulletin
BHS homepage/ Student/Career Center/Scholarship Bulletin
3. Start your Profile for the Bellingham Dollars for Scholars www.whatcom.dollarsforscholars.org use the (Parents/Students tab). The more information you enter, the more scholarships you may match to.
Your application is a multi-step process: This one application allows students to be eligible for several possible local scholarships that can used to attend technical, community or 4-yr colleges and universities.
If you start your profile now you will be READY when 2020 local scholarships are posted January 21, 2020.
Come to the Career Center in January!
- Tuesday, January 14 - Western Washington University Essay Workshop, 9:55 (Raideraide) bring your essays.
- Thursday, January 16 - Scholarship and Financial aid Workshop, 9:55 Raideraide
- Wednesday, January 22 - Scholarship and Financial aid Workshop, 9:55 Raideraide
Assistance League Summer Enrichment
Plan now for a summer adventure!
The Assistance League of Bellingham offers summer enrichment scholarships to high school undergraduates. If you’re interested in a summer program, in the arts, science, leadership or other educational adventures please stop in the Career Center and find out how to apply for a grant for tuition from the Enrichment Scholarship Program. Hurry in NEW deadline for application is February 21st.