Apple i-tunes and Google Play
Which one do you prefer?
Apps for Apple i-tunes
- New i-cloud app will allow you to update your Apple product without actually plugging it into your computer i-tunes.
- In New York on January 19, 2012, Apple announced an all-new iTunes U app, giving educators and students everything they need on their iPad, iPhone and iPod touch to teach and take entire courses.
- When you’re on the go, the Apple Store app is the best way to research, personalize, and buy products from Apple. You can also use it to make Genius Bar and workshop reservations at the Apple Store.
Apps for Google Play
- The Google Play Private Channel for Google Apps (the Private Channel) allows Google Apps domains to distribute internal Android applications to their users through the Google Play Store.
- A Google Apps for Business, Education, or Government domain can have a Private Channel on the Google Play Store. The Google Apps domain administrators can allow domain users to register with the Android Developer Console to publish Android applications to the Private Channel.
- The Google Play Store provides common features for application publishing, including user authentication, virus and malware detection, device targeting, payment, user rating, and user feedback.
Price of Apple i-tunes apps
- The price of apps at the Apple i-tunes store range from $0.69 - $1.99.
- Most apps have a free version that you can purchase as well.
Price of google play apps
- For applications that you choose to sell in Google Play, the transaction fee is equivalent to 30% of the application price. You receive 70% of the payment and the remaining 30% goes to the distribution partner and operating fees.
- The Android Market allows you to select any price from zero on up to $200.00.
So, if you take a look at the Android Market you will see apps priced at $1.02 or $1.23, or whatever price the developer wants to get.
Layout of Apple i-tunes
In the top toolbar, just to the left of the Search box you’ll see three buttons labelled ‘View’. Click the middle one (marked with a symbol of six little squares). This will switch the main browser window to Grid View, which displays all your albums as small thumbnails of the CD sleeve art. Click Artist, Album, Genre or Composer at the top of the window to organise your library by these different criteria.
On a mobile device, the i-tunes store is basically the same. It is just condensed into something smaller to fit your device.
Layout of Google Play
The web-based version of the Google Play store has had an update pushed out onto it which brings a redesigned look to it pretty much throughout the entire site. Navigation is a bit different now with the addition of a couple of new categories, most notable the new Magazines and Devices sections. Clicking on any section now takes you to a more general overview of what the top submissions are for that category except for Devices.
The Devices section will now take you to a rather nice looking overview of what devices are available for purchase from the Google Play store.
Access the i-tunes app store
There is a huge variety of apps available in the App Store. From photography to free music, from games, to social networking, from cooking to running. The App Store has an app for everyone! Using the App Store isn't too different from using the iTunes Store.
If you don't know the exact app you're looking for, you'll want to browse the App Store. The homepage of the App Store features lots of apps, but you can find even more either by clicking on the links on the right side of the homepage or by clicking the arrow in the App Store menu at the top of the page. This drops down a menu that shows all the categories of apps available in the store. Click the category you're interested in viewing.
When yuo find an app you want to purchase, just click on on the price of the app and it will download.
Access the google play store
To download from Google Play on the web, you must have strong connectivity on your phone or tablet when start your download from the Play Store. Since you will be downloading apps directly to your device from your phone or tablet's Internet connection, there is no need to connect your device to your computer via USB.
- Navigate to an app you want to install and tap to select it. The details screen will appear, where you can read about the app's features, customer reviews, and information about the developer.
- If you want to download the app, tap the Install button.
- Tap Accept & download to accept the permissions for the app (or press Back if you don’t want to download) - your item will begin downloading immediately.
Apple has more apps than Google Play
Apple has said the App Store has generated more than $7 billion since 2008, Google hasn’t made such information public. Apple has more than 800,000 apps on its store, and Google has more than 700,000.
Apple has reported to average around $333 million a month since June to December, which is over 3 times more than Google Play. Apple also saw an increase in sales of around 20% between October and December which can probably be attributed to the release of the iPhone 5 and iPad mini.
What's interesting though is that Google Play has grown 6 times its size prior to 2012, even though Apple still pulled in higher revenue. Apple's App Store has been around a lot longer than Google Play and has a very established user base but it shows that both ecosystems are doing remarkably well as coming into a brand new year.
Bugs in Apple and Google Play
- Apple's new map system iOS 6, locations are mislabeled or out of place, places are distorted when viewed in 3D and some travel routes are completely bungled by the application.
These are just a small fraction of the bugs that users are finding within the new application, just a day after Apple rolled out iOS 6 to iPhone, iPad and iPod touch owners.
- Before the last OS revision, Google apps (Voice, Gmail, and Maps) worked perfectly. Now they are barely functional. For instance, if you open the Gmail app, you cannot type in the fields to log in. This also happens with Google Voice. You have to go to MemoPad and type in your login info there then copy and paste it into the fields. Once in, you can scroll or use many of the functions.