Principal's Corner #8
“The fundamental purpose of school is learning, not teaching.” ~Richard DuFour
Shelter-In-Place Follow Up
We did an outstanding job for our first Shelter-in-Place drill. As with anything, we are constantly looking to grow and improve. We practice our safety drills so we are able to work out any concerns so that in the unfortunate event that we do have to Shelter-in-Place, we are prepared and our staff and students know what to do. We will be revisiting the locations for Shelter-in-Place, and will let you know when maps have been updated. In the meantime, use the location we’ve identified. Below is a snap shot of the Shelter-In-Place guidelines in our emergency flipbook guides. If you haven’t already done so, please take time to read through them. It was helpful for me to re-read through prior to our drill to re-familiarize myself with CCSD’s procedure. Please be sure to take attendance, and report your attendance using the color cards (clarified below). In the event of a real life situation I would expect everyone to account for students and duck and cover in a safe location.
Green: All students present and accounted for.
Yellow: You are missing a student, but you know who they are with.
Red: A student is missing, and you don’t know where they are AND/OR a student is injured.
Cottonwood School Accountability Committee
If you are interested in being a member of the COT SAC, please complete this google form
(https://goo.gl/forms/0vO0zi1hjYGGAhit1) no later than Monday, October 8th We are required to have at least one teacher on our School Accountabilty Committee, however, I hope to have more than one. Thank you.
Many of you have met with us, but have not finalized your goals in Halogen. Please remember goals must be completed in Halogen no later than October 12th, and we cannot complete any observations until goal conferences are held and you submit your goals in Halogen.
Pre/Post Observation Forms
3rd-5th Grade Teachers
Don't forget to see Sarah to schedule a block of time to administer the CCSD Climate, Safety and Wellness Survey. The window for administration is November 1st through December 7th.
**From the desk of Angel St. Pierre**
October Count is Wednesday, October 3rd!
This is the school year’s single most important state-required data submission, and is responsible for providing one of the largest portions of the district’s funding. This year’s projected Per Pupil Funding is approximately $8,105.
Teachers, remember on October Count Day to mark all present students with a positive attendance code “Z” to ensure your students receive their state funding. Following attendance, Teacher Verification Reports will be located at the front office for teachers to sign and date. Absent/unexcused students will have until Wednesday, October 10th to return to school to qualify for state funding.
Have your Type D license? Please send me an email to let me know. Thank you!
Conference Week and Report Cards
- Conference week is the first week in November (Nov. 5-9). The front office will be open the following times during conference week; please plan accordingly. If you schedule conferences outside of these times, you will be responsible for letting families in the building, so I strongly encourage you to schedule conferences during the times below.
- Please remember to coordinate with our Special Education Panthers Team if you and/or a family wants them in attendance during conferenes. In scheduling, be mindful of their contracted days at Cottonwood.
Megan: M, T, W, Th, F
Morley: Tues all day, Wednesday afternoon, Friday afternoon
Allison: M, T, W
Kori: T, W, Th
Lauren: T, F
- Friday, October 26th is the end of data collection for the first trimeter, and report cards go home Friday, Novemeber 2nd. Do not schedule conferences prior to the end of data collection or prior to report cards going home.
- More information to come on report cards....stay tuned.
- Tuesday, October 2: Katie Out, Safety Training
- Wednesday, October 3, 3:00-3:40: Stop by Heidi Burris’ room from 3:00-3:40 for some fun and quick ideas to add some differentiation to your instruction.
- Wednesday, October 3, 3:00-3:40: Committed Time, PBIS/PST
- Wednesday, October 3, 6:00: District Accountability Committee & PASS, Overland HS
- Friday, October 5, 3:00-6:00: COT Carnival, Normal Dismissal, Hope to see you there!
- Tuesday, October 9: Elementary Literacy PD in the library 3:00-3:40
- Wednesday, October 10: No Staff meeting/No Committee Time - Cardboard Challenge
- Thursday, December 6: School Spelling Bee
- Monday, January 7, 8:00-12:00: Emergenetics is coming to COT