The FRIDAY Review
November 22, 2019
From Mrs. Lewis...
- We need you! Please make attendance and on time arrivals a priority. Doctor's appt should be scheduled outside of the school day, when possible. Absences just before holidays should be avoided, as this is some of our busiest days. Thanks for your help!
- MONDAY, DEC 2nd - Faculty meeting - Required
- COACHES - Students are not to be left outside on the benches waiting for pick up for practices. If a child goes missing and you did not supervise, what car did he leave in? What did the person look like? SAFETY FIRST!
- ON YOUR FEET - Please be reminded that we should be teaching on your feet, not from the seat. (Non-negotiable)
- PROGRESS REPORTS - Go Home Wednesday, December 4th (The Wed after Thanksgiving)
- 2019-2020 REDO - Please plan to meet during your planning on Monday, Dec. 2nd for a 2019-2020 redo. We have all admin on board and the front office will have additional help. We look forward to a new kickoff to a great year!
- Sherri McInnis will be working in the front office, part time, as the receptionist. Please give her a warm welcome beginning Monday, Dec. 2nd.
- DEC 13 - Please save the date. We look forward to spending time with our Spartan Family at our annual Christmas Party. Staff members and a significant other, friend or family member is invited. Staff members' meal / drink will be covered. More information soon!
- DEC 6 - 1/2 Day PD (12:00 Dismissal) - See schedule attached
Dec 6 will be ½ Day PD Day. This will be content based PD on the state’s new Open Ed Resources. Teachers should bring their electronic devices/laptops.
Information on Student Services PD is forthcoming from Jamie Synan. PreK PD information will be coming from Barbara Adams
- SMART LUNCH - Dec 5
- ATHLETES - Athletes, cheerleaders,including Queen Steppers, are not to be released until the 2nd bell during dismissal.
- STIPEND - Teachers that participated in the STEM training on August 5th will receive a $125 stipend for your attendance. Coming soon.
- NC CHECKIN / BENCHMARK SCORES - What are you doing to work on the standards that students did not do well in? Please ensure that you find a way to reteach/review before the next round of benchmarks?
- TWO QUESTIONS - Did you place two HOT questions PER ACTIVITY in your lesson plans? This is a non-negotiable.
- CHROMEBOOK FORMS - YAY!!! We have 100% of our student body that has returned all paperwork! As we get new students, they should have parental signatures on forms at the point of enrollment, but if you need me to add them to Study Island, please email me. I will add them to the spreadsheet that I have shared with you as a googlesheet. Please encourage students to pay their $25 fee.
Please consider helping a great cause...United Way of Scotland County. Even $1 counts as a donation. Please give your cards and money to Ms. Audrey in the front office.
At the BOE meeting last week, Mr. Donald Caudle was approved as the new HR Executive Director. No official start date yet. Mr. Satterfield will cover both HR and Auxiliary Services until Mr. Caudle starts the position.
Finance - Effective 07/01/2019 Teachers and Instructional Support - Step Increase Assistant Principals – Step Increase Principals – Modifies categories of size of school
ATTENDANCE - Staff members must get absences approved from an administrator before placing in AESOP. Substitutes/and.or time off should never be scheduled before approval is granted.
CYBER SECURITY - An audit of SCS' network will be completed. If you receive an email and you’re not sure where it came from, do not reply or forwarded it. NEW: We will not allow non-Scotland County owned machines on our network any longer. SCS Open will be available for guests.
- Sports Pictures and Make-up Pictures will be held on November 25th. This will take place between 12 - 2pm. Stay tuned for details.
- Please be reminded that students must have a pass to leave class. ONLY ONE student per pass. If you need passes for your class, see Ms. Audrey.
*6-8 ELA/SS/Arts/Media (Carver Media Center)
*6-12 Math/Sci/CTE/PE (SHS Media Center)
*K-12 Extended Content (SHS, RM-TBD)
* Grades 6-12 PD: 1:00-4:00
- Would you like to recognize a colleague for their birthday or special occasion for only $10? The rock is up for rental for both students and staff. Information will be sent home on Monday. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1AW87lGewOgBuhBwZ2tV9UHSovcFX3a01H0E3R0BJtcc/edit
- Scotland County Schools will go through the accreditation process in March/April. Staff and students can be interviewed and classroom observations conducted. Stay tuned for more information.
REMINDERS FROM LAST WEEK
MONEY - All money is due by 2pm each day. This allows Ms. Audrey to count and deposit before leaving work each day.
- NON-NEGOTIABLES - (teach on your feet unless you are conducting small group instruction, cell phones away while students are in your care, while on duty and/or during professional meetings, Praise in public - reprimand in private, SHMS is a no yell zone, students should be supervised at ALL times, the Friday Review and all emails will be read in a timely manner)
From Mrs. Tippett
- Winter Sports Sign Up - Please show your support to our student athletes by signing up to help at the basketball game.
- InForce 911 (new alert system) training will be held soon!
- Please make sure all exterior doors are closed when exiting the building. No doors should be propped open at any time.
- Lower and close all window blinds before leaving for Thanksgiving break.
- Red cards will be on the table beside the sign in computer in the teacher workroom. Mr. Bowman says you need two, one to put under the door and one for the window in the event you need immediate help during a lockdown. One can go on your clipboard by the door and the other in the window seal.
- NC Check In 1 for Math 1 (8th) classes will be Wednesday, December 4. All 8th grade classes will remain in 1st core until it is announced that testing is over. Please keep noise and movement in the hallway at a minimum.
- NC Check In 2 window is January 8 - 17.
From ESTELLA JOHNSON
If you haven’t already done so, post your QR Lesson Scanner outside your door, under your name. Please do it in a way it can’t be taken down by students. This must be done by Wednesday, November 13, 2019 8:00 am.
If you haven’t done so, please sign up for NewsELA. PLEASE use your GOOGLE @scsnc.org email. Here is the sign-up link https://newsela.com/join/#/school/67484. If you have already signed up, no worries.
We are working out some kinks to Scootpad, more information coming soon.
Please be mindful of School and District Resources. As mentioned before, please add resources into Learning Activities, as much as possible. If you’re having sign-in issues, please let me know ASAP.
- November 25 - Make-Up / Sports Pictures
November 27-29- Thanksgiving Holidays - NO SCHOOL
December 2-6, 2019- Middle School Math I(YL)-Checkin 1
December 2-December 13, 2019- 1st Semester Writing Assessment Window
December 2 - Staff Meeting
December 4 - Progress Reports
December 2-5- 2nd Quarter Common Assessments Window
December 6- ½ day for students / afternoon PD for staff / noon dismissal
December 6- MTSS folder audit
December 6-December 13 -Writing Assessment Window
December 10- Chorus Concert 6:30pm
December 12- 7th/8th Band Concert 6pm
December 11- PBIS Wacky Wednesday Raffle
December 13- TLC
December 13 - Staff Christmas Party (Staff meal /drink covered)
December 16 - SIT Meeting
December 20- ½ Day for Students (noon dismissal)
December 20- PBIS Celebration
December 23-January 1 - Christmas Holidays - NO SCHOOL