Ninth Grade News
Week of February 8
This is the kick-off week for Aledo Reads! Ninth grade students will participate in a special reading activity in English classes on Thursday of this week and we have additional information for how our parents can support this program posted below.
We are reinforcing a few reminders with students this week and want to communicate these with our parent group as well. If you have questions about any of these items, please reach out for clarification.
- Student Dress Code - We have given students reminders for the dress code guidelines for the past week. If a student is out of dress code, please send him/her to the office (with a pass) to have the dress code violation documented and corrected. Thank you for your diligence in addressing dress code standards!
- Student Devices - All students need to bring their district-issued Chromebook or personal laptop to school each day. It needs to be charged and ready for the school day. Bringing the charging cord is a best practice, as well as many students, are asking the librarian for a laptop charger for their device and we do not have charger cords to meet the demand or have the appropriate cord for each individual device.
- Student Lunches - Parents, we need your help with this one. Outside food deliveries are not permitted. If a student forgets his/her lunch, we are instructing students to buy lunch from the cafeteria for that day. We are a closed campus and encourage parents to allow students to go through the day without their forgotten items unless it is an emergency situation.
We are thankful for your partnership and are looking forward to another great week of Growing Greatness!
Carolyn Ansley, Principal
2nd Annual Aledo Reads!
We are celebrating reading on Thursday, February 11. This event will kick-off Read Across Aledo, a district-wide PTO fundraiser that will benefit Aledo ISD and the East Parker County Library.
At DNG, we will celebrate Aledo Reads by introducing a resource to students, www.TeachingBooks.net, that can be utilized by parents as well. This website allows the user to search for books and authors and provides book trailers, author interviews, book reviews, similar book suggestions, and so much more.
Participation in the PTO fundraiser is optional and we will provide information to students who wish to sign up and participate. In addition, for those who may not choose to participate but would like to offer a donation, please see the information below.
Monday, February 8
- Flex Day
- Varsity Boys Golf Pringle Open
Tuesday, February 9
- Flex Day
- Boys BB vs. Brewer @AHS, 5:00 pm (FR), 6:15 pm (JV), 7:30 pm (VAR)
- Boys Soccer @Wichita Falls, 7:00 pm (JV), 5:30 pm (VAR)
- Girls Soccer vs. Wichita Falls @AHS, 5:30 pm (JV), 7:00 pm (VAR)
- Girls Softball Weatherford Scrimmage @Weatherford, 5:30 pm (JV), 7:00 pm (V)
Wednesday, February 10
- Flex Day
- JV Boys Golf 18 Hole Freeze for All (9:00 am)
Thursday, February 11
- Aledo Reads Day! Students will participate in a special Aledo Reads lesson in English I classes today
- Var Girls BB vs. Lake Dallas @Bridgeport, 6:30 pm
- Boys Powerlifting @Azle
Friday, February 12
- Student Holiday - No school
- Girls Soccer @Brewer, 5:30 pm (JV), 7:00 pm (VAR)
- Boys Soccer vs. Brewer @AHS, 5:30 pm (JV), 7:00 pm (VAR)
- Girls Softball Mansfield & Burleson Scrimmage @AHS, 4:30, 7:30 pm (JV)
- Varsity Tennis - South Hills Tournament
Saturday, February 13
- Girls Softball Mansfield & Burleson Scrimmage @Mansfield, 12:45, 2:30 pm (V)
Mr. John Robertson - ASL I/II
Our American Sign Language teacher, Mr. Robertson, graduated from UNT with a Bachelor of Arts in Speech and Hearing Science and has taught for 17 years (the last four with us). His French teacher, who shared her joy of languages with her students, inspired him to teach. In his spare time, he enjoys taking trips on his motorcycle and dreams of a road trip from Texas to the far tip of Alaska. The thing he looks forward to this year is “catching students learning accidentally!" If he had a superpower, it would be to know every language in the world. Something interesting about Mr. Robertson is that he has worked in New Zealand and Uruguay!!
Updated School Calendar
The Aledo ISD Board of Trustees approved an updated 2020-2021 Instructional Calendar in December, adding two new teacher workdays/student holidays in the Spring semester.
With the new calendar, students will be off on Friday, Feb. 12, Monday, Feb. 15 and Monday, March 22.
Deadline to Switch Instructional Models
Any student wishing to change instructional models for the fourth nine-week grading cycle -- from remote to in-person or from in-person to remote - must notify the district two weeks prior to the next grading cycle. The deadline to request a change in instructional models for the fourth nine weeks is 4 p.m. on Friday, Feb. 26. Links to the forms to request to change instructional models for the third grading cycle will be available closer to the February 26 deadline. The deadline to request to change instructional models for the third nine-week grading cycle has now closed as it was Friday, Dec. 4.
COVID Health and Safety Reminders
As we move into cold and flu season and begin to see an uptick in positive COVID-19 cases amongst our students and staff, please be reminded of the health and safety protocols in Aledo ISD's Return to Learn Plan:
- Parents of all students must screen children for symptoms and take the temperature of each of their children before their child attends school every day. Students who have an elevated temperature above 100.4 OR have any COVID-related symptoms must report the symptoms to their campus nurse and stay home. Please do not send students to school with symptoms. For Daniel Ninth Grade, our nurse is Danielle Barnes (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- All students shall wear face coverings at all times while on Aledo ISD property that social distancing, maintaining six feet of distance, is not possible. Face coverings should cover both the nose and mouth of the user.
Aledo ISD COVID-19 Dashboard
Aledo ISD is tracking COVID-19 cases within our school Community. To do this we need your help – if your child ever tests positive for COVID-19 or shows symptoms consistent with COVID-19 or has close contact with someone who has tested positive for COVID-19, please click this link to complete our AISD COVID Reporting form. Our data will only be as accurate as what is reported to us. Please help us keep our entire community healthy and safe by providing this information as soon as it becomes known to you. To view the Aledo ISD COVID Dashboard, please click here.
Your student will need to provide evidence that they are a student enrolled in a public, private, or home school and have been attending school for at least 90% of the time. A VOE form is issued by our office.
To Request a VOE Form:
- Your student will scan the QR code in the front office.
- They will need to complete the linked Google form.
- The VOE will be available the following day and can be picked up at the front office. The form will need to be signed by your student and witnessed by office staff.
How do I check my student out for an appointment or early release?
Daniel Ninth Grade Campus is currently closed to visitors. We understand at times, however, it may be necessary for you to pick up your student for an appointment. Please allow for a few extra minutes when picking up your student as we are using a new check out system and have new processes in place. We kindly ask that you follow these procedures when picking up your student:
- Pull up to the student pick up/drop off area in front of our main doors.
- Once you enter the building, please remain in the lobby area. Our office staff will greet you and ask to scan your ID. You can also call our office at 817-441-4504 to let us know you are here. If it is during a passing period, we ask that you please wait outside until the students have exited the building.
- We will then call your student’s teacher to notify them that you are here to pick them up.
How do I report a student absence?
Thank you, parents, for doing a great job of communicating student absences with our office staff and for keeping your child home when they are not feeling well.
If your child is sick or will not be at school for any other reason, please call the school at
(817) 441-4504 or email Sarah Hill at email@example.com to report an absence.
Any student or staff who tests positive for COVID-19 or shows symptoms consistent with COVID-19 or has close contact with someone who has tested positive for COVID-19, please complete the AISD COVID-19 Reporting Form.
How do I request a district device?
Your child will need access to a laptop or Chromebook in order to complete assignments in Canvas both at home and school. Please visit the following link if you would like to learn more about checking out a Chromebook from the Aledo ISD Technology Department: https://www.aledoisd.org/Page/4320
Ascender Student Portal
1. Go to the Aledo ISD home page and click on Parents and Students at the top of the page. Then click on Student Portal Link on the left side of the page. (You can also go to the link directly: https://tinyurl.com/y5knvfwa)
2. Click on Create Account
3. Enter your student ID number, date of birth, and the last 4 digits of your Social Security Number.