FSL Weekly Newsletter
Week of: February 22, 2021
EVENT APPROVAL UPDATE
The COVID-19 Event Approval Form has moved to a completely digital format on Saluki Connect for student organizations!
COVID EVENT APPROVAL FORM:
REPORTING COVID-19 CASES AND POSSIBLE EXPOSURE
SIU Carbondale encourages the reporting of confirmed and suspected cases of COVID-19 among students, faculty and staff. The university works closely with the Jackson County Health Department, which is responsible for tracing cases, notifying individuals of possible exposure, and directing isolation and quarantine of ill or exposed individuals.
The university has an obligation to protect the privacy of individuals who have been diagnosed or exposed, including those who are part of the contact tracing process. Please remember to honor this commitment to privacy for those who contract the virus.
Individuals who may have been exposed to COVID-19 will be notified directly through the contact tracing process. Students, faculty and staff are required to assist with the process when asked and to follow the instructions of health officials if they are asked to isolate or quarantine.
Reporting Form: https://siu.edu/coronavirus/reporting.php
Fraternity and Sorority Life Awards
- Applications are due by 11:59 p.m. on Sunday, February 28, 2021.
- Apply for awards through SalukiConnect/Presence
- Applications are judged by off-campus FSL professionals
- If your chapter is not nominated, they are not eligible to win the award.
- Multiple nominations for the same person/chapter/program will be accepted
Below is the list of awards and corresponding application link:
- Outstanding Academic Programming: https://siu.presence.io/form/fraternity-and-sorority-life-awards-outstanding-academic-programming-2020
- Outstanding Philanthropy Event of the Year: https://siu.presence.io/form/fraternity-and-sorority-life-awards-outstanding-philanthropy-event-of-the-year-2020
- Living Your Values Award: https://siu.presence.io/form/fraternity-and-sorority-life-awards-living-your-values-award-2020
- Outstanding Campus Involvement: https://siu.presence.io/form/fraternity-and-sorority-life-awards-outstanding-campus-involvement-2020
- Greek Alumni of the Year: https://siu.presence.io/form/fraternity-and-sorority-life-awards-greek-alumni-of-the-year-2020
- Advisor of the Year: https://siu.presence.io/form/fraternity-and-sorority-life-awards-advisor-of-the-year-2020
- Most Improved Chapter: https://siu.presence.io/form/fraternity-and-sorority-life-awards-most-improved-chapter-2020
- Chapter President of the Year: https://siu.presence.io/form/fraternity-and-sorority-life-awards-chapter-president-of-the-year-2020
- Council Officer of the Year: https://siu.presence.io/form/fraternity-and-sorority-life-awards-council-officer-of-the-year-2020
- Outstanding Overall Chapter: https://siu.presence.io/form/fraternity-and-sorority-life-awards-outstanding-overall-chapter-of-the-year-2020
- Outstanding Greek of the Year: https://siu.presence.io/form/fraternity-and-sorority-life-awards-outstanding-greek-of-the-year-2020
- Dr. Robert Andrew Morgan Engagement Award: https://siu.presence.io/form/fraternity-and-sorority-life-awards-dr-robert-andrew-morgan-engagement-award-2020
- Outstanding Senior of the Year: https://siu.presence.io/form/fraternity-and-sorority-life-awards-outstanding-senior-of-the-year-2020
- Outstanding New Member/Neophyte of the Year: https://siu.presence.io/form/fraternity-and-sorority-life-awards-new-member-neophyte-of-the-year-2020
Risk Reduction Trainings
The Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life, in collaboration with Health and Wellness, will be hosting Risk Reduction Trainings (fka: Sober Monitor Trainings).
These trainings will take place over Zoom. There is no requirement to attend; however, it is highly encouraged all chapter executive board members sign up and attend.
Attending a Risk Reduction Training usually fulfills requirements for risk management programing for your national organization.
Thursday, March 18 - 4:00 p.m.
Tuesday, March 30 - 12:00 p.m.
Sign up at the link below for the date/time you plan to attend. Zoom links will be sent out, via email, before the training.
Chapter Presidents' Meetings
Chapter Presidents' Meetings will take place at 5:00 p.m. on Zoom on the following dates:
- Thursday, March 25
- Thursday, April 22
If the chapter president is unable to attend, a representative from the chapter, preferably the next VP, must be present. Any chapters with no representation are fined $50.00 per missed meeting.
Rho Lambda Honors Society Applications are now open!
Application Link: https://siu.presence.io/form/rho-lambda-honors-society-application
Applications close: Monday, March 15, 2021
Initiation: Tuesday, March 23, 2021
For more information visit rholambda.org
Apply to be a Recruitment Counselor!
A message from the Office of Associate Chancellor for Diversity:
We develop and provide diversity trainings for the SIU Carbondale campus including trainings for students, staff, faculty, and departments. Our trainings strive to maintain the inclusive excellence of our campus through covering concepts of diversity and inclusivity such as anti-racism, privilege, intersectionality, and allyship. We offer broad diversity trainings for the campus community, as well as trainings on specific topics pertaining to diversity issues.
We currently offer stand-alone training sessions on different topics related to anti-racism, anti-bias, diversity, inclusion, and equity. These training sessions are available to students, staff and faculty. These trainings are primarily entry-level and require little to no diversity background before attending. Additionally, we can provide department or topic related trainings if provided enough time to do so.
Learn more at: https://oacd.siu.edu/diversity-training/ or email Jaidelynn Rogers at firstname.lastname@example.org to set up a training for your chapter!
Presence/Saluki Connect: Transitions
- Alpha Gamma Rho
- Alpha Sigma Phi
- Beta Theta Pi
- Delta Chi
- Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc.
- Kappa Delta Chi Sorority, Inc.
- Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc.
- Multiple emails have been sent by Alex Maxwell (email@example.com) to the chapter presidents currently active on organizations' pages. If you have not received any emails, then an old contact is on file.
- Go to https://siu.presence.io/ to start the transition process.
- Contact Alex Maxwell, firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
- Organizations cannot complete the COVID Event Approval Form without first transitioning (updating) their chapter.
- This is required each semester by the Office of Student Engagement
A message from the Dean of Students: Outstanding Leadership & Service Award Nominations
The Division of Student Affairs is excited to present the Outstanding Leadership and Service Award for Seniors.
I need your help in nominating senior students who you think represent the best of Southern Illinois University Carbondale. The student should be involved in leadership, service and or has a commitment to improving campus.
The application is hyperlinked above, but can also be accessed here.
Items to know:
- Nominations are due by Friday, March 26, 2021.
- Completed applications from nominated students are due by Friday, April 16, 2021.
- Awards Ceremony (via zoom at this point) on Wednesday, April 28, 2021.
Please feel free to let me know if you have any questions or concerns.
Jennifer Jones-Hall - email@example.com
Dean of Students
SIU Day of Giving: Wednesday, March 3, 2021
COVID-19 Event Approval Form: https://siu.edu/coronavirus/_common/documents/COVID-19-Event-Approval-Form.pdf
COVID-19 Reporting Form: https://siu.edu/coronavirus/reporting.php
Community Service Reporting Form: https://siu.presence.io/form/fraternity-and-sorority-life-community-service-reporting-form
Philanthropy Reporting Form: https://siu.presence.io/form/fraternity-and-sorority-life-philanthropy-reporting-form
Undergraduate Student Government (USG) Funding: https://usg.rso.siu.edu/funding/
Chicago North Shore Alumnae Panhellenic Association Scholarship
The Chicago North Shore Alumnae Panhellenic Association (http://northshorepanhellenic.net/) is pleased to announce that in 2021, one or more $1,000 scholarships will be awarded to collegiate members of National Panhellenic Conference sororities. Collegians, who will be sophomores or juniors at accredited colleges or universities during the 2021-22 academic year, are eligible to apply. Applications must be completed through the link below and submitted by the Friday, March 5th, deadline. The application portal will be open for applications and uploading supporting letters of reference and a copy of the applicant’s college transcript until 11:59 pm on March 5th.
Successful candidates will be active participants in their respective NPC chapters, and involved in campus and/or community activities. Applicants will be notified in May, 2021, if they will be awarded a scholarship. We are proud of and appreciate our NPC collegiate members and seek to help them with this financial award.
Homecoming 2021: October 10-16, 2021