Friday Features - 4/17/19
Your Weekly BGS PTO News & Happenings
Last Call for Yearbook Orders
ATTENTION 4th GRADE FAMILIES!
This is the only opportunity to purchase a 4th Grade Yearbook. Yearbooks will be delivered on 4th Grade Fun Day in June. To ensure your order reaches the yearbook before the break, purchase your 4th Grade Yearbook via our online form: http://bit.ly/BGSYrBkOrd Paper yearbook order forms will still be accepted up until Spring Break.
Get Moving at the Color Run
Last year's Color Run was so much fun, we're doing it again! Race around the fields of BGS while getting showered with color powder on Friday, May 17 from 7-8 PM.
Registration is required by April 30 to ensure we have enough packets for everyone. Two options are available:
- $20 Registration includes a t-shirt, along with your registration packet
- $15 Registration does NOT include a t-shirt in your registration packet
Registration forms will be coming home via backpack. In case you miss it, you can also print and return the form below. Please include exact change or checks made payable to BGS PTO. Register by April 30 to get in on the fun!
Spring Means Field Trips!
As the weather gets warmer, the teachers start planning their annual field trips. Some of the classes have already sent out field trip forms, while others are still finalizing details. We know our Bears are looking forward to trips to zoos, farms and museums this year.
Did you know that the PTO partners with the school to offset the costs of field trips? Thanks to your fundraising efforts, the PTO can contribute $15 per student towards the cost of admission fees and transportation. We appreciate your help in making this possible!
Spring Also Means Beautification Around the School
At our recent PTO meetings, we've highlighted a few of the school improvement and beautification activities going on around BGS. Here's just a sampling of the great work underway:
- Colorful Murals - Our Beautification Committee has partnered with one of our art teachers, Mr. Goteiner, and the BGS Girl Scout Juniors Troop to begin work on some colorful murals for our library. They'll be painting boards that will be affixed to the back of the bookshelves down our library corridor. We can look forward to murals featuring a Dr. Seuss theme and another with a Mo Willems theme.
- Butterfly Garden - Mr. Stianchi was awarded a grant from the Bridgewater-Raritan Education Association late last year to create a butterfly garden. Planning has been underway during the winter and plants have just been ordered. In the next few weeks, the PTO will be looking for volunteers to help Mr. Stianchi prep the garden space and plant over 100 plants to complete the project. Stay tuned for sign-up details in future issues of Friday Features!
- Faculty Room Makeover - Initial planning and discussions have begun for a Faculty Room makeover. The faculty offered a variety of suggestions for both practical and cosmetic improvements to make the faculty room a more modern, inviting space where they can work and recharge. Our PTO Vice Presidents are working with Mrs. Binford and the facilities team to plan for the renovation, which will occur shortly after the school year ends.
- Playground Updates - The Gaga Ball Pit that was delivered in the fall is scheduled to be installed over the summer. In addition, equipment catalogs and specialists are being consulted to formulate a plan to make the playground more inclusive for all abilities.
- Sound System Improvements - Lastly, we've been working to get quotes to replace or refurbish the sound system in the gym to improve the student experience during assemblies. Once all of the quotes are in, we'll be able to make a decision and get the replacement scheduled.
If you're interested in learning more or getting involved in any of these types of activities in the future, we encourage you to join us for any of our upcoming PTO meetings. Our next scheduled meeting is May 8 at 7 PM. Hope to see you there!
Mark Your Calendar!
PTO & School Dates to Remember
- April 17 - 4th Grade Yearbook Orders Due
- April 19 - 28 - School Closed for Spring Break
- April 30 - Color Run Registration Due
- May 8 - PTO Meeting - 7 PM
- May 10 - Stars of BGS Talent Show - 7 PM at BRHS
- May 13 - 17 - Teacher Appreciation Week!
- May 17 - Color Run - 7-8 PM
- May 18 - Color Run RAIN DATE - 10 AM
- May 20 - Panera Restaurant Fundraiser - 4 - 8 PM