PLANO SENIOR HIGH SCHOOL
PSHS eNews: Where the Wildcat Nation Gets Its Information
Tuesday, September 1, 2015
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * FROM THE COUNSELOR * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
The Redesigned PSAT is coming!
- Test will be given on Wednesday, October 14th during the school day
- Cost is $15
- Registration required through Parent Portal* or in the Counseling Office
- Registration ends Friday, September 25th
*PSAT Parent Portal On-line Registration Steps:
- Enter Parent Portal: (www.parentviewer.pisd.edu)
- Select: Student Registration
- Select: Student Name
- Select: Pay Now
- Select: PSAT
- Enter: card information for payment
Schedule changes/corrections for the fall semester 2015 will be made in the following instances:
- Student is enrolled in a class for which he/she has already received credit.
- Student has failed a course prerequisite.
- Student does not have 7 periods scheduled.
- Student has an obvious error, such as the same class scheduled twice.
- Student passes a credit by exam or eSchool course and should be moved into a different class.
- Student needs to change levels, for example honors to on-level.
- Athletic cuts
- Class balancing (We try to keep this to a minimum, but it is sometimes unavoidable.)
DEADLINE FOR MAKING SCHEDULES CHANGES IS THIS FRIDAY, SEPT. 3RD!!!
COLLEGE 101 will be held on Thursday, September 10th directly after the PTSA General Meeting at 6:30pm in the Building B Lecture Hall.
This parent program is designed for parents of Seniors who would like more information on the step by step process their student needs to follow as they start their college applications. This will be the same information students heard from the Counselor in the English classrooms.
Topics covered will include:
- The College Application process
- The use of Naviance in completing College applications
- Resources to help choose a college
- Timeline for completing the college application
- Asking for Counselor/Teacher recommendation letters
- Request of transcripts
U.S. SERVICE ACADEMIES FORUM
Open to students/parents interested in learning about the U.S. Service Academies. This forum will be hosted by U.S. Congressman Sam Johnson on Saturday, September 12th at 1:00 pm at the Collin College – Preston Ridge Campus, 9700 Wade Blvd., Frisco, TX 75035. Click here for directions https://goo.gl/URVVHX .
CONGRESSIONAL YOUTH ADVISORY COMMITTEE
Representative Sam Johnson’s Congressional Youth Advisory Committee is taking applications for Juniors and Seniors.
To be a part of this committee students must return their completed application to Sam Johnson's District Office NO LATER THAN Wed., September 16th. Click here for an application http://samjohnson.house.gov/uploadedfiles/2015_-_2016_cyac_application.pdf.
If chosen for the committee you will meet with Mr. Johnson and other civic leaders four times per year to learn about development of public policy and explore the roles of citizens, lawmakers, experts and institutions.
2015-16 HOUSE DISTRICT 67 STUDENT LEADERSHIP ADVISORY COUNCIL
- Opportunity for high school students within House District 67 to engage in the legislative process with Representative Leach and his staff and to obtain a hands-on education of the role and inner-workings of Texas state government.
- Application is available at http://www.house.state.tx.us/members/member-page/media/67/2015-2016-SLAC-Application.pdf
- Deadline: September 29, 2015
COLLEGE INFORMATION SESSIONS
Who: Washington University in St. Louis
When: September 20, 2015
Time: 1:00 – 2:00 PM
Where: Dallas/Addison Marriott Quorum (Galleria), 14901 Dallas Parkway, Dallas, TX
When: September 8, 2015
Time: 7:30 PM
Where: Plano Centre – Collinwood Room, 2000 E. Spring Creek Parkway, Plano, TX
Who: Carnegie Mellon
When: Wednesday, September 16th at 7:00pm
Where: The Hockaday School, 11600 Welch Road, Dallas, TX 75229
* * * * * * * * * * * * * ADMINISTRATIVE UPDATES * * * * * * * * * * * * *
VERY IMPORTANT BACK TO SCHOOL INFORMATION
I. ATTENDANCE PROCEDURE FOR 2015-2016 SCHOOL YEAR
Student attendance is MANDATORY by state law. See http://pol.tasb.org/Policy/Download/312?filename=FEA(LOCAL).pdf and http://pol.tasb.org/Policy/Download/312?filename=FEC(LOCAL).pdf.
PLEASE make every effort to keep your student in school.
- Students who miss more than 10% of any one class may be denied credit in that class. (See FEC Legal).
- Unexcused absences may result in mandatory make-up time as well as zeroes on work missed.
- Further, any student absent more than 10 consecutive days will be withdrawn and will lose his/her existing schedule.
- Reporting a student absent: A parent/guardian should call the school to report a student absence. Call 469-752-9300 and press option 3 to leave a message. Leave the student name, ID#, reason for the absence, date of the absence and who is reporting the absence.
- Parent notes: A student has up to (3) three days after an absence to turn in a parent/doctor note in order to receive an excused absence. The note should include the student’s name, ID number, reason and dates of the absence. A parent call does not excuse the absence.
- Leaving school ill: If a student becomes ill while at school, he/she should go to the nurse's office. The nurse will contact the parents. The student MUST then sign out with parent permission before leaving. A student should NOT call/text you from their cell phone to tell you they are sick and to pick them up. Cell phone use is not allowed during class time. We have a phone available for students in the front office and in sub school. If a student does not sign out, it may result in an unexcused absence.
- Doctor/Dental appointments: If your student must leave school early, PLEASE send a note with him/her so that he/she can be released from class. The student can sign out in sub school and wait for you in the front office or leave with parent permission. A doctor's note is required when the student returns to school. The state requires us to have a doctor's note when a student is gone for an appointment.
- Other absences: Non-School activities must be pre-approved by the principal in order for the student to make up missed work. The Student Absence Request Form is available through the sub school. The form needs to be filled out and turned in to the sub school at least a week before the absence.
- Final exams are December 15-18, 2015, for first semester and May 31 – June 3, 2016, for second semester. Exams count 25% of a student’s semester grade, so PLEASE ENSURE that your students are here to take their exams. They cannot be given early, and taking them later is extremely difficult for students.
- REMEMBER - NOTES CAN PREVENT UNEXCUSED ABSENCES! Chronic absences can result in mandatory doctor’s notes and ultimately, truancy being filed.
II. HEALTH SERVICES
Please review the information:
- Immunizations must be up to date according to the Department of State Health Services (DSHS) guidelines for school entry and attendance: http://www.pisd.edu/parents/health/immunizations.shtml.
- All medications and medical procedures at school must have completed paper work. Please see our website at: http://www.pisd.edu/parents/health/index.shtml
- All controlled substances must be brought in by the parent or guardian.
Please keep your children home for:
- Fever of 100° or more for the duration of the fever plus an additional 24 hours after cessation without fever-reducing medication
- Vomiting or diarrhea for 24 hours after cessation
- Generalized rash
- Oozing wounds that cannot be kept dry and covered
- Red, draining eye
- Untreated live lice
- See the completed list for exclusions: http://www.pisd.edu/parents/health/diseases.shtml
Please remind your children of cough and sneeze etiquette:
- Cough or sneeze into a tissue or sleeve and not into hands
- Always wash hands for 20 seconds
Please observe the proper hand washing technique:
- Vigorous friction rub for 20 seconds with soap and rinse with water.
Benadryl and epinephrine are kept in the clinic, to be used by only the school nurse, for undiagnosed episodes of anaphylaxis. Having this medication available for unexpected, severe life-threatening anaphylaxis does not take the place of individual prescribed auto-injectors for diagnosed cases of severe allergy.
Current health information is crucial for proper care. Please notify your school nurse of all health related issues. This can be done via the Parent Portal: https://parentviewer.pisd.eduor by visiting your school nurse.
SB 265 (84th Legislative session), allows a student to possess and use a topical sunscreen product during school and related events to avoid overexposure to the sun. The product must be approved by the Federal Food and Drug Administration for over-the-counter use. For a full explanation: http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/BillLookup/Text.aspx?LegSess=84R&Bill=SB265
III. DRESS CODE
We want to remind everyone to keep the PISD dress code in mind when making back to school clothing purchases. The district's dress code can be found in the PISD student/parent policy guide, which can be accessed at http://pisd.edu/about.us/policies/index.shtml.
IV. SCHOOL LUNCHES
- For information about fans and lunches please go to the FANS website: http://k12.pisd.edu/food-and-nutritional-services . Lunches prices this coming year will be: Breakfast $1.50 and Lunch $3.00 or $3.50 (depending on the items purchased-prices will be marked). A la carte items run to $4.50. Also, see the FANS information links below.
- Paper applications for free and reduced priced meals are no longer be sent home. Instead, you may log onto the following web address and apply online. No sign up or password required! https://fans.pisd.edu/fma/. *If you need help with the online application, please come by the Food and Nutritional Administrative offices, located at 6600 Alma Drive, Plano, Texas.
V. 2015-2016 PISD SCHOOL CALENDAR
You can view the 2015-16 PISD school calendar on the district’s website at: http://www.pisd.edu/common/calendar/calendar.glance.1516PlanoISD.shtml
VI. STUDENT/PARENT POLICY GUIDE
Below please find a link to the 2015-16 Policy Guide for the district:
VII. INSURANCE INFORMATION (VOLUNTARY ACCIDENT INSURANCE)
The enrollment method parents will use to enroll students for the voluntary accident insurance has changed. Parents will enroll online utilizing the internet instead of submitting a paper application. Markel has dedicated a secure enrollment website.
The website address is http://markel.sevencorners.com/.
On this website parents are able to:
- View all of the coverage and premium options
- Review a Frequently Asked Questions section
- Purchase the insurance using a credit/debit card and receive an instant and printable confirmation of the purchase
Parents can also contact Markel at 1-877-444-5014 for details on obtaining a form for enrollment.
VIII. PISD VOLUNTEERS
PISD requires that all volunteers complete a new background check every year. If you have not done so since July 1, 2015, please go to pisd.edu and fill out your volunteer application. Make sure to select Plano Senior High School as one of the campuses where you would like to volunteer.
FANS - FOOD AND NUTRITION SERVICES
Please click http://k-12.pisd.edu/schools/pshs/FANS/PSHSletters.pdf for the 2015-16 PSHS Child Nutrition Program Letter.
Go to http://fans.pisd.edu/fma/Default.aspx to apply for free and reduced lunch.
Click http://k-12.pisd.edu/schools/pshs/FANS/Menus/PSHSMenu.pdf for First Semester Menus.
PLANO ISD INFOCENTER
Plano ISD has implemented InfoCenter, allowing you to better control how you receive communications from your school or district. The following is a guide to help you get started.
What is InfoCenter?: InfoCenter provides access to all the messages and information sent by your organization. Accessible from any internet-enabled device, InfoCenter visually displays and organizes alerts, notifications, and attachments for easy review and reference. InfoCenter also allows you to customize how you receive communications from PISD (campus and district).
How do I sign up for InfoCenter?: Signing up for InfoCenter is easy. Using the email address that you have on file for your district (emergency card), follow these three steps:
1. Download the InfoCenter by SchoolMessenger app from the Apple App Store or Google Play Market. You can also access the InfoCenter web portal at https://infocenter.schoolmessenger.com/
2. Click the "New User" button, enter your email address, and create a password. An email will be sent to that address with a secure token. Note: If you receive an "already claimed by another user account" error message that means you've already created a SchoolMessenger account via another SchoolMessenger product, such as Contact Manager. Simply follow the "Return to login" link and login. Use the "Forgot your password" link if needed.
3. After authenticating via the token sent to your email, return to InfoCenter and sign in using your email and password.
What's in InfoCenter?: Once you've created your account, the records associated with your email address will be linked automatically. You can then:
- View the records associated with your account.
- Review the last 30 days worth of messages for all your associated records.
- View your contact information, and configure how you'd like to receive notifications.
Important Things to Know:
- Regardless of how you choose to receive notifications, all messages associated with your records will be retained in the InfoCenter inbox for 30 days.
- You can opt into receiving Device Notifications (Push) under Notification Preferences. When choosing to receive Device Notifications, a badge or alert will appear when you receive new communications from Plano ISD.
Our provider, SchoolMessenger, makes the security and privacy of your data a top priority. As one of over 100 approved signatories to Student Privacy Pledge, you can feel ensured that your student's information is safe and will never be sold, rented or shared.
* * * * * * * * * * * * GENERAL ANNOUNCEMENTS * * * * * * * * * * * *
JUNIOR CLASS PRESIDENT ELECTION TOMORROW!
Please follow the schedule listed below for the Wed., Sept. 2, 2015.
0 8:00- 8:50
1 9:00 - 9:40 (Bell will ring)
ASSEMBLY 9:40 - ?
*AT THE 9:40 BELL DISMISS JUNIORS TO THE GYM. SENIORS REMAIN IN 1ST PERIOD.
Once the assembly is over, a bell will ring to move to 2nd period.
2 10:27 - 11:12
3 11:18 – 12:03
*4 12:03 - 1:43
- (4 THRU 7 is Pep Rally Schedule)
- 1st Lunch: 12:03 – 12:53
- 2nd Lunch: 12:53 - 1:43
5 1:48- 2:33
6 2:39 - 3:24
7 3:30 - 4:15
Voting will be through the website/app https://voting4schools.com/ .
Voting will open Wednesday, 9/2, at 10:30am and will close Thursday, 9/3, at 4:15pm. Run-off (if necessary) will be Friday, 9/4 at 7am to 4:15pm.
Username is Student ID#. Password is Grade and Birthdate ex: 11MMDDYYYY
WILDCAT SPIRIT WEAR FOR SALE!
The PSHS PTSA will be selling SPIRIT WEAR in the Cafeteria during both lunches TODAY – Friday, Sept. 2nd – 4th. Wildcat spirit wear is a great way to get into the spirit of the new school year! Check out the new shirts, planner and backpack!
~ ~ ~ PSHS...TRADITION OF EXCELLENCE ~ ~ ~
Plano Senior High School
Plano Senior High School Website:
PSHS PTSA Website: