The Cobra Connection
The Sousa Middle School Family Newsletter | August 14, 2020
"Many hands make light work" (Tanzanian proverb).
I hope this finds you well-rested, healthy and refueled. Let us send a warm welcome to our new families and a warm welcome (back!) to our returning families. We are grateful for all of you! These are unprecedented times and we are grateful to have the opportunity to work in partnership with all of you. Together, we can do anything!
What is the Cobra Connection?
- DC Public Schools will be starting the 2020-21 School Year virtually. These videos (1) (2) explain what this means when we start school on August 31, 2020.
- Make sure you complete the tech survey if you need technology for distance learning.
- Check out the #ReOpenStrong website for updates on virtual/distance learning.
- Enroll in DCPS' Parent University sessions to receive additional guidance on what this school year will look like and the district's commitments.
- Make sure you enroll your child as soon as possible!
- Check out DCPS' social media policy as we continue to use virtual learning for Term 1.
- Check out DCPS' grading policy for virtual learning here.
Mark Your Calendars
AUGUST 18: Parent University Webinar: Supporting Specialized Instruction from Home
AUGUST 20: Parent University Webinar: Canvas 101 for Families
AUGUST 25: Virtual 7th Grade Orientation @ 5:00 PM
August 26: Virtual 6th Grade and New Student Orientation @ 5:30 PM
August 27: Virtual 8th Grade Orientation @ 5:30 PM
AUGUST 24-28th: Technology Pick Up!
See Flyer Below.
Virtual Learning Tips & Tricks
- Create a learning space for your child that is quiet and free of clutter.
- Make sure they have a strong routine and that they stick to that schedule to maximize their instructional time.
- Feel free to reach out to your child's teachers if your child needs additional support.
- Monitor your child's usage of social media regularly.
- Attend Canvas 101 session to help you learn how to use Canvas. Click here to register.