To the Point
Prairie Point Staff Newsletter
Vol 3, Issue 15: Friday,May 26, 2017
Thank you for feedback on the 2017 - 2018 theme. There was 1 vote separating the three themes. Our theme for next year is Better Together!
Welcome Mr. Hotuyec
End of the Year
Pinks and Blues
- Please have Pinks and Blues back by May 19th. If this is a hardship for you, please come and see me.
- As a reminder, I did not make any changes to the form this year, however, I did want to draw your attention to the last section on the first page that reads: If you feel there is information that next year’s teacher needs to know in order to help this child be successful, please include that below. Please include strengths, concerns, and/or teaching strategies that you’ve found to be effective. Please note that comments included in this section should pertain to support and teaching strategies that you have found effective in supporting the student. Please be sensitive that this is not a place to include negative comments about a student. When I'm filling things out like this, I always think about if it would make me comfortable as a mom if someone wrote that about my child. This usually helps me frame my comments in a more positive way.
- We have received direction from DAC as to what materials will be leaving our building and are being sent to other D308 schools. It is imperative that unless Kim has already given you direction as to where materials are to go you do not change any inventory as to where it is stored currently. Emails went out to those grade levels effected as to the number of sets that need to be collected and the book numbers themselves. Thank you for your patience, as we have a great deal of curriculum that will be leaving our building and we need to have accurate counts to report to DAC in June.
Prairie Point Recognition Ceremony
- We will have our end of year recognition assembly from 9:15-10:00 on the last day of school. As usual, we will release younger students first. TA's will be around to dismiss classes to come down. Here is an edited past agenda we have followed. Please let me know if I have omitted anything. We will line the halls right after the final lunch that day to dismiss our 5th grade students at 12:35. 4th grade, as a note, you may want to have students packed up and ready to go before lunch that day.
- Perfect and Outstanding attendance of students and staff-Office (Dr. Groves and I will come around to present certificates the day prior)
- Character Recognition-Specials teachers
- Panthers on the Run - Sue Warren
- Spark Award- Dr. Groves
- Honor Choir, Black Belt Recorder-Clint Hafenrichter (possible honor choir performance)
- Caudill readers, Bluestem readers, Winning team for the Amazing Race - Carol Patterson
- Math awards (Noetic), Deb Mogle
- Student Leadership-Lisa Paluch & Dotty Mockenhaupt
- Battle of the Books - Dotty Mockcenhaupt
- Safety Patrol Recognition- Kim Manna
- Recycling-5th grade
- Clubs and Intramurals - Cindy Niles
- Sign language Club Video
- 5th Grade End of Year Video
Last Day of School
- We will run on the Half Day Lunch Schedule
- We will have specials on the last day
- Finally, please remember that every day that students are at school is an opportunity for them to grow and develop as learners. We have a commitment to our students to teach up until that last day of school. Please do all that you can to keep students engaged and learning until May 26th!
Board Communication Policy
Please take a look at the Board Communication Policy regarding using personal non-District email or social media to communicate to students. If you have a question, please come and talk with me. You can use this link to access the full policy using the following link: https://www.sd308.org/cms/lib/IL01906463/Centricity/Domain/126/5-125%20Personal%20Technology%20and%20Social%20Media.04.24.17.pdf
I have pulled out the paragraph that is most applicable:
In an emergency when a District employee must communicate with a student individually for District purposes using a personal, non-District email account, social media account or personal telephone number, the District employee shall copy parent(s) or a District administrator on the communication for students under the age of 18. District employees shall copy a District administrator on any such personal text or electronic communication for students 18 years and older.
In Every Issue...
News and Info
If you haven't had a chance to check out the Wall of Honor at Oswego High School and Oswego East High School, it is definitely worth checking out.
Amy Holpuch was added to the Oswego High School's Wall of Honor on May 1, 2017. Amy is a second lieutenant in the United States Army Nurse Corps. She is currently serving 8 years active duty and is based at Ft. Belvoir Hospital in Virginia.
When you or one of your kids does something awesome (gets married, chooses a college, wins a competition, has her first solo in a concert, etc.) snap a picture and send it to me. I'll include it in our newsletter and we can all celebrate a 2nd time :)