TOTAL RESPONSE SIGNALS-QSSSA
Based on The 7 Steps to a Language Rich Classroom
- I will use Total Response Signals in my classroom to ensure total participation.
- To build academic language, I will intentionally plan the QSSSA strategy to use in my classroom during the first six weeks.
I will speak using the following sentence stems:
- Being intentional about planning academic language opportunities is important because...
- I will ensure total participation in my classroom by...
WHAT DO WE KNOW ABOUT RESPONSE SIGNALS AND/OR QSSSA?
- Write down your answer on a note card using one of the following stems:
- I know that.....
- I use QSSSA/RESPONSE SIGNALS...
- Stand up when you are ready
- Find your partner match (example: A and B) and share
When you have shared with 2 people, go back to your table AND get ready to share with the rest of the group
TOTAL PARTICIPATION TECHNIQUES
WHY should we use Total Participation Techniques (TPTs)?
“Active learning produces the greatest success for ELLs.” (Echevarria and Graves, 1998)
“Student engagement increases attention which increases student achievement.” (Jensen, 1998)
“Active response signals connect physical movement with mental processes.” (Gardner 1996)
Checking for Understanding Response Signals
Ready: Hands up, Stand, Sit, Pen on Paper
Making Choices: Open/Closed Hand, Thumbs, Four Corners
Ranking: Rank with Fingers, Rank with Arm (higher is better), Line up According to Response, Knocking/Clapping/
What is QSSSA?
- Q (Question): The teacher asks a question.
- S (Signal): The students give the teacher a response (determined by the teacher) when they are ready to answer.
- S (Stem): The teacher provides a sentence stem to frame structure language.
- S (Share): Students are asked to share their responses with one or more peers.
- A (Assess): The teacher assesses the quality of discussion by selecting a few students to share their answers with the whole class.
SEIDLITZ SEGMENT 4B
- What do you notice?
- What strategies is the teacher using?
- What ideas can you take from this teacher to implement in your classroom?
S- Put your pen on your paper
S- I will utilize QSSSA and Total Response Signals in the first six weeks ...
S- Find a partner at a different table and share
A- Numbered Heads/Wheel Decide