Ms. DesBarres Grade One Newsletter
Important Upcoming Dates
- SCIENCE: We are currently learning about the season Fall and have talked about the following things: changes in weather (gets colder, rainy etc), what happens to plants (tree's lose their leaves), what happens to the length of sunlight we have (gets darker faster, takes longer for the sun to come up) etc. Next week we will be engaging in a Fall Scavenger hunt where we will find items related to the season of Fall.
- BUDDY BOOKS: Students are continuing to bring home their buddy books daily. Please remember that these leveled books are for your child to read to you. They must be returned daily- just like their library books.
- "Buddy Books" Bookmarks: These are officially in motion! We have discussed not only the purpose of the buddy book bookmarks but the importance of not losing them as well! The purpose of these bookmarks is to provide strategies for them to use when they get stuck on a word. (Eagle Eyes, Lips of a Fish and Stretchy Snake) We will learn more strategies as the year goes on. You can help them work through a few of these strategies before helping them out.
- Math: In math we started our Number sense unit. We had a Birthday Party for Numbers on Tuesday. During our party students engaged in 4 centers which had various number "birthday" activities. We also learned some new math words this week and they are: Subitize (ability to know what the number is when looking at an image without having to count ex)2's, 3's 5's), build (building our numbers- with manipulatives), explain (explaining our numbers we built), represent (presenting the numbers we have built and explained to others), more (adding) and less (subtracting).
1) This week we were introduced to 2 new characters who will help us remember the letters and sounds that we need for reading and spelling. Have your child tell you one thing they remember about Griselda Green and Ichabod Ichythysaurus. Then have them tell you what sounds those two characters like the best, and what letter or letter combinations represent those sounds. Griselda Green (Gg) and Ichabod Ichythysaurus (Ii).
2) This week we learned one new sight word. Ask your child if they remember what it was. (Was)
3) We learned three reading strategies to use when we get stuck on a word- ask your child to show you the action and what that strategy means (Eagle Eyes- looking at the pictures for clues, Lips of a Fish- getting our mouth ready for the beginning sound and Stretchy Snake- stretching out the sounds)