Prevent Birth Defects
Make a PACT for Prevention
We know that not all birth defects can be prevented. But, we also know that women can increase their chances of having a healthy baby by managing health conditions and adopting healthy behaviors before becoming pregnant. Make a PACT, a commitment to yourself, to get healthy before and during pregnancy by actively trying to plan ahead, avoid harmful substances, choose a healthy lifestyle, and talk with your healthcare provider.
1. Plan Ahead
- Get 400 micro-grams (mcg) of folic acid every day.
2. Avoid harmful substances.
- Avoid alcohol at any time during pregnancy.
3. Choose a healthy lifestyle
- Keep diabetes under control
- Poor control of diabetes during pregnancy increases the chances for birth defeats
- Can cause serious complications for the woman
- Proper healthcare before and during pregnancy can prevent birth defects
4. Talk with your healthcare provider
- Talk to a health care provider about taking any medications
- Most vaccinations are safe during pregnancy
- Pregnant women are more prone to severe illness from the flu
- The flu shot given during pregnancy has been shown to protect both mother and her baby