Internet Gaming Disorder
By Griffin Beitel
What is it?
compulsively, to the exclusion of other interests, and their persistent and recurrent
online activity results in clinically significant impairment or distress." DSM-5. Basically it is an obsession with gaming. The reason it has only recently come up is because of how available technology has become to the general public of different standards of living. Think about it what are you reading this on? A decade ago this may have been an article in a school newspaper or something like that. "DSM-5"
- Symptoms (actions)
- withdrawal symptoms while not playing (similar to cold turkeying drugs)
- Increasingly excessive amount of time spent playing video games
- Has tried to stop or reduce amount of play, ends in failure
- loss of interest in daily affairs or hobbies (Real life activity)
- The continue of play even after knowledge that someone is being effected by these actions.
- The person feels guilty about the time spent online and tends to lie to other about their usage.
- Person uses internet gaming as a way to relieve stress. Used as an escape
- Has lost or risked a relationship with amount of play
- Losing concept of time while online
- Problems sleeping
- Carpal tunnel
- Dry eyes
- Aches and pains in back, neck ; Severe headaches
- Weight gain or loss (from either lack of eating or lack of exercise)
In The Fifth Edition Of The. INTERNET GAMING DISORDER DSM 5 (n.d.): n. pag. DSM5. The American Psychological Association. Web.
Sarkis, Stephanie. "Internet Gaming Disorder in DSM-5." Psychology Today: Health, Help, Happiness + Find a Therapist. N.p., n.d. Web. 08 Dec. 2014.
"Internet Addiction Disorder." Wikipedia. Wikimedia Foundation, 12 Apr. 2014. Web. 08 Dec. 2014.
Reynolds, Emma. "Teenager Collapses and Dies after Playing Online Computer Game for 40 HOURS Straight." Mail Online. Associated Newspapers, 18 July 2012. Web. 10 Dec.
Gambling Disorders 360°." APA Considers Potential Internet Gaming Disorder. N.p., 30 May 2013. Web. 10 Dec. 2014.
Reynolds, Emma. "Teenager Collapses and Dies after Playing Online Computer Game for 40 HOURS Straight." Mail Online. Associated Newspapers, 18 July 2012. Web. 10 Dec. 2014.
Curry, E. (2012, May 16). Stress Reduction. Retrieved December 22, 2014, from https://www.flickr.com/photos/eamoncurry/6072966411/in/photolist-afDxkr-77qCNJ-dN2Xjv-6K84qx-9dV6gQ-KWuYA-8XSeFB-kSMrys-4y12wL-99rpPa-7xKCF4-rnkhi-BPWMT-cWx5ww-cWzfm3-7mdkPS-7d2vSh-HuAzF-6NPMf9-atpebh-5S6zTR-9xa7Hj-hJZs4V-rM8aS-47Ytz4-3g8ehU-kJoRBG-4NM7jF-9xfjVZ-87hXtM-9x6voJ-6px9BR-796nU7-9BMsED-7h6PeD-3mqwJ9-ahYgpb-ax2h25-fxRZGs-76LHbF-cWHAsb-d4EGnE-9x82F7-bZce7Q-aWnckx-6hYWMV-oHNqH2-cYqB33-56hG4j-3nahKh/
BagoGames. (2014, April 24). Diablo Returns To Its Roots | Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls. Retrieved December 22, 2014, from https://www.flickr.com/photos/bagogames/13996251312/
Radjaboelan. (2008, October 6). Playstation portable. Retrieved December 22, 2014, from https://www.flickr.com/photos/23313516@N05/2919896591/in/photolist--exXv3K-9jJE4r-8cHBq1-5s2ewF-dHzAke-dHF317-jHuAt6-4zNMRY-gVv69z-exXwcK-a4ZNrR-ey1GX5-7rtibZ-9ySJzB-7xSAFM-gZA5Xm-dao3fC-7gb7im-pDtZWg-8o4w8g-6SEkrK-7SQXvo-7aK9Dj-jYVsq-eh9rfN-2tPJqe-7SQY7J-9uUdy7-iJg2hV-8esLiG-8389k7-r2BUs-4Ld68T-336FjK-5w1zp-hyzHH6-pi54x-6wupwe-6Exfi2-7Ugm6h-n9Cs-2EyHL-9HyCru-7utv7H-pK5Un-4EJFvF-aSs8pz-a9D961-g5PFDM