News and Notes
January 29, 2016
Our Awesome Educator of the Week is:
Happy Counselor Appreciation Week!
The future is ours because of what you do
Now you get the Lucky Longhorn Spot too!
The Future Is Ours...
Remember to tweet and hashtag :)
Don't forget to follow @lakesidecoppell
Here's a strategy you can try....
Whip Around (but no Nae Nae)
The teacher poses a question or a task. Students then individually respond on a scrap piece of paper listing at least 3 thoughts/responses/statements. When they have done so, students stand up. The teacher then randomly calls on a student to share one of his or her ideas from the paper. Students check off any items that are said by another student and sit down when all of their ideas have been shared with the group, whether or not they were the one to share them. The teacher continues to call on students until they are all seated. As the teacher listens to the ideas or information shared by the students, he or she can determine if there is a general level of understanding or if there are gaps in students’ thinking.”
Last Week I shared...
I Have the
Has the Answer?
The teacher makes two sets of cards. One set contains questions related to the unit of study. The second set contains the answers to the questions. Distribute the answer cards to the students and either you or a student will read the question cards to the class. All students check their answer cards to see if they have the correct answer. A variation is to make cards into a chain activity: The student chosen to begin the chain will read the given card aloud and then wait for the next participant to read the only card that would correctly follow the progression. Play continues until all of the cards are read and the initial student is ready to read his card for the second time.
Trainings & Curriculum Updates
In an effort to keep you fully informed I'm including a link to the Curriculum Courier (admin newsletter). This link will give you access to current and past issues of the newsletter. The Courier will provide you with pertinent information for your grade and content area. Although some weeks are more informative than others you should try to review it regularly.
The Curriculum Audit is included plus more...
Speaking of the audit - Do you want your voice heard?
Feel free to join the educator meeting group on:
February 2, 2016
Town Center Library from 4:00-4:40
Gema to TEPSA Meeting 2/4&5
Annelise to AP meeting and Content Specialists to theirs on 2/11
Literacy Academy - 2/4 or 2/25
Math Academy for K-2 Rep (I NEED ONE) on 2/16 and 3-5 (I MAY HAVE ONE) on 2/18
KN2K (Knows & Need to Knows) *Updated
Please read the Bond Information letter that was attached to the
News and Notes email. Thanks :)
If you have not done so already...Please use: Reflections from Class Visits to submit your "likes" and "wonders."
Confidentiality and Child Find
If you missed our Monday (the 11th) meeting, you will need to complete the Confidentiality and Child Find slides and reflection in Schoology. The course information is in the Curriculum Courier and in an email I sent on Monday (the 11th) at 3:30pm.
- Please email me if you were absent on Monday January 11th and let me know whether or not you have completed this.
Because not every child is comfortable in front of the camera (at least not right away) you are welcome to include a "director" that assists with the behind the scenes work when your class comes to Lakeside Live. Please don't feel like you have to but there might be one really anxious child that would enjoy experiencing Lakeside Live in a different way. Just something to think about. :)
Thank you to Debbie for participating on the district calendar committee. I know Debbie shared the proposed plan so please review it at your leisure. Some things to think about are:
- Flex Days/PD Days that need to be met and when they fall
- If we take care of our flex/pd in August - what dates would that be and who will it impact? (most of you are 187 day employees)
- If you are a 197 or 200+ day employees how will these impact you or how will you meet your required hours?
Let me know if you have any comments questions or concerns.
As summer (Lakeside) dates get finalized you will have them so you can plan accordingly.
UNDERSTANDING BY DESIGN - UbD
The Latest and Greatest Update:
Still looking for a trainer to take care of us...I'll keep you posted.
MARK YOUR CALENDARS ...
UBD LAKESIDE SUMEMR CONFERNECE WILL TAKE PLACE ON AUGUST 9TH AND 10TH! YOU WILL EARN 12 HOURS OF FLEX FOR THIS TRAINING.
AUGUSTT 11TH WE WILL TRY TO PLAN A PD DAY THAT YOU WILL USED TO "TRADE OUT" FOR THE JUNE PD DAY.
1) A Lakeside specific summer conference where you will be asked to attend will take place on 8.9 & 10. You will earn 12 hours of flex for the two DAY training.
2) The district will have two summer conference sessions that would be a backup option for your UbD training. The (tentative dates) I have gotten from Laurie are: June 20&21 or July 18&19. Summer Conference registration may be sent out in February.
Remember: The Lakeside Summer Conference would be the preference since it would be specific for us and teams would be able to plan together.
3) UbD Implementation will be a district (and therefore campus) expectation for the coming year.
What can you do in the meantime?
Keep thinking about backwards design, PBL, and lesson design.
- *Check out the splash screens and the UbD components that are already there for you (this is on the Team leader agenda for next week).
- Review The Learning Framework and our district philosophy in these areas.
- Reflect on your day to day and content to content practice.
- Think about the questions you might have.
- Smile and keep doing the great things you are doing!
2/1-2/5 COUNSELOR APPRECIATION WEEK
2/1-2/4 A "LOVELY" Assessment Time Treat
- This is a great time to administer, assess, or enter MOY assessments.
2/1 CURRICULUM AUDITOR WILL VISIT LAKESIDE 1-2:30PM plus Staff Meeting Monday
- On the agenda: TELPAS
2/3 ESL Walkthroughs with Penny
2/4 The 100th Day
2/4-2/5 Gema to TEPSA Board Meeting
2/5 101 Day Kinder Parade
2/9 Gema to Principal's Meeting
2/12 2nd grade Poetry Celebration and Valentine Parties at 2pm
2/15 Professional Learning Day - No Kids on Campus
- On the agenda:
- 8:15am-10(ish)am Michael Wesch presentation at CHS (all staff)
- 10:30-11:30 am TELPAS training with Ana (most of us) @ Lakeside OR
- 10:00-4:00 Knezek Training for Special Education (K&S)
- 11:30-12:30 Lunch on your own
- 1:00-3:00 Diversity Training with the Hindu University of America @ Pinkerton
- 3:00-4:00 Debrief and Team Planning
2/18 Parent Learning Walks @ 9 & 1
17) Carla McCown
26) Melissa Warren
$2 Tuesdays with a Twist:
- AHA passes can be used between Jan. 11th and March 21st.
Wednesdays will be College Days for staff and students
Fridays with a Lakeside or CISD Tee