West High School's Weekly Updates: January 3 - January 10
Junhee Lee to compete for $10,000 in national math contest
Junhee Lee, a sophomore at Iowa City West High School, is one of 10 students nationwide selected to compete for $10,000 in the 2016 national Who Wants to Be a Mathematician.
When: Jan. 7, 2016, 9:30-11:00 a.m. (Pacific)
Where: Seattle, Washington, Washington State Convention Center, Room 6A
Live Webcast: http://www.livestream.com/wwtbam2016
Junhee was selected for the national Who Wants to Be a Mathematician based on his score on an online qualifying test with questions on algebra, trigonometry, probability, and math history, which was administered by high school math teachers nationwide using Maple TA, a product of Maplesoft.
West High Poms Named the 2015 American School Spirit Award Winners
The West High Dance Team was honored last month as the best in the nation. The American School Spirit Award recognizes the best cheer and dance programs in the country. When choosing the winner, UCA and UDA look for teams that exemplify community service, outstanding athletic support, spirit raising activities, and high academic standards. West High was announced as the dance team selection on December 18.
One coach, one captain, and one administrator from West High will receive a trip to the National Dance Team Championship and...
- A feature spot on ESPN
- A feature spot on Varsity.com, uda.varsity.com, and VarsityTV
- $500 UDA Camp gift certificate
- $500 Varsity Spirit Fashions gift certificate\
Follow this link to learn about the West High Dance Team: http://uda.varsity.com//Competitions/2015-American-Spirit-Winner
WesTV Premieres on The Cube
West High Varsity Basketball vs. CR Jefferson--http://thecube.com/e/591174
West High Girls/Boys Varsity Basketball vs. City High--http://thecube.com/e/591180
Big Week for Home Athletic Events
- Boys Swimming--Tuesday, Jan. 5, at Coralville Rec Center, 6:00 pm.
- Boys Basketball vs CR Jefferson--Tuesday, Jan. 5, West Gym, 7:30 pm
- West Wrestling vs. City High--Thursday, Jan. 7, West Gym, 6:00 pm
- Girl/Boy Basketball doubleheader vs. City High, Friday, Jan. 8, West Gym 6:00 pm.
- West Wrestling Invitational, Saturday, Jan. 9, West Gym, 9:00 am.
West Side Story Reporters Meet Tinker Defendants
West High Looks back at 2015
· Graduation Rate—96.6%
· ACT Scores—25.8 Average of 331 seniors who took the test
· Iowa Assessments—School Percentile Rank from October 2015
- 9th Grade 96th Percentile in Complete Composite Score
- 10th Grade 98th Percentile in Complete Composite Score
- 11th Grade 95th Percentile in Complete Composite Score
· 23 National Merit Semifinalists
· 11 Commended Students in the 2016 National Merit Scholarship Program
· 2012 Grad Jeffery Ding named Rhoades Scholar
- West won its 11th consecutive state math championship and 16th overall state math championship.
- ELIZABETH HAN was the overall individual math champion at the State of Iowa Math Championship.
- JUNHEE LEE qualified as one of only ten students in the United States for the “Who Wants to be a Mathematician?” national math competition.
West Side Story—National Pacemakers Awards
- Fourth place best of show, Newsmagazine category
- First place multimedia news story of the year
- First place comic strip/panel of the year
- The 2015 Trojan Epic ("Gravitate") earned Second Place in the Iowa High School Press Associations fall contest.
- West High JETS teams ranked Best in State in 2015, both 9/10th grade teams & 11/12th grade teams
- West High TEAMS—Two West High teams placed 6th and 7th in the country at the national TEAMS competition
- West High 3-2-1 team placed #1 in Iowa and placed 30th in the country (placing 30th) NWJH place #2 in the nation
SSIKED Diversity Club
- 1st Place in the Latino History Competition
Speech and Debate
- 4 National Qualifiers
- West High Dance Marathon raised over $60, 000 for cancer research
- West High Student Government provided over 6000 pounds of food to the Iowa City food pantry
- West High SSIKED students collected 30 bags of winter clothes
- 33 Silver Cord recipients accounted for over 13,200 hours of service to the community
- 61 All-State Musicians
- Jazz Band qualified for the state jazz competition for 15th consecutive year
- Highest ratings in Orchestra, Choir, Band and Show Choir
- West High won the All-Sports title for the MVC in girls athletics with conference titles in 5 of the 10 sports--softball, soccer, tennis, basketball and cross country. The boys were 2nd with conference titles in baseball and basketball.
- West High placed 3rd in class 4A for the state All-Sports championship in the state of Iowa. West High claimed 2 state titles, 2 runners-up, 3 other top 5 finishes, 3 other top 8 finishes.
- Boys Swimming—State Champions (back to back)
- Girls Soccer—State Champions (2nd in school history)
- Boys Tennis—State Runner-up
- Baseball—State Runner-up
- Girls basketball—3rd Place at the State Tournament
- Boys basketball—3rd Place at the State Tournament
Individually--11-first team all-staters, 5-second team all-staters, 2 third team all-staters
- Jiung Jung—State Champion, Tennis (He beat Trojan David Dileo in the finals)
- Mark McGlaughlin—State Champion (50 free and 100 free)
- Aidan Keen—State Champion (200 free and 500 free)
- Mikaela Morgan—1st Team All-State, basketball
- Payton Pottratz—1st Team All-State
- Emma Cooper—1st Team All-State
- Regan Steigleder —1st Team All-State
- Kevin Delaney—1st Team All-State, Baseball
- Izaya Ono-Fullard—1st Team All-State, Baseball
- Taleah Smith —1st Team All-State, Softball
- Adara Opiola —1st Team All-State, Softball
- Bailey Nock —1st Team All-State, Cross Country
- JD Goodfellow—1st Team All-State
- Erica Hsu—1st Team All-State, Swimming
- Oliver Martin—1st Team All-State, Football
Scott Kibby, State AD of Year by the Iowa High School Athletic Director’s Association
Kathy Bresnahan, Inductee of the Iowa Volleyball Coaches Hall of Fame